Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 3 | 2020

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Only one more day! Dusted off the Pomco for Tuesday's Slant shave

full

Tuesday September 29
Ten minute hot shower
Boker-Hollow something or other. Restored with Buffalo scales. That’s all I know right now.
FIRST STRAIGHT RAZOR-SHAVE
Lo Storto
Feather
Zenith Chubby Scrubby Boar B27 - 28mm x 55mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Lo Storto’s last Slantember outing was a little quicker on the face. A Boker with Buffalo horn scales on my first straight outing removed the five day growth. About the same resistance in whiskers as the remaining blood from the straight. A small task for Lo Storto to complete the 95% straight shave and ease it into a very comfortable BBS. Without too much strain on a 1st use Feather an excellent ATG Single Pass BBS head shave. Above average post skin comfort. I can hardly wait for my next shave.

My First Straight Shave is posted in my journal. If blood 🩸 upsets you don’t go there.

2B3227A1-A29B-42C3-84DD-E5B71E092524.jpeg

Last edited:
7210EC29-BDDA-4830-9ACD-447E724AD10B.jpeg

Razor: FOCS
Blade: German Wilkinson Sword (3)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T2
Cream: Gillette Pure

Last Slantember shave, after a late night shower so I don’t have to do it in the morning. In the shower I’m using Castelbel Gentleman lemon-bergamot-patchouli bar soap that I bought at TJMaxx. This smells great. I love Castelbel bar soaps, especially at TJX prices.

Anyway. After seeing all the love that the Simpsons Trafalgar brushes get, I finally had to see for myself and ordered this T2 from The Razor Company. It arrived yesterday. And yes, it deserves the love. This is the first synth brush I’ve had that I actually like, because it’s the first one I’ve used with the right amount of splay. Made a super nice lather out of the Gillette Pure. But like all synths, it’s still a nuisance to use with tube cream. Brush is going to get put away until after I’ve finally emptied this tube and have a soap out again.

And the FOCS did its usual FOCS things, with the WS blade installed which is still one of my favorites. Mows down hair like nobody’s business. The razor gets to stay in rotation for OCtober, so that’s a happy thing.

No sense wasting an expensive AS on the pillow. I splashed on some Sea Breeze, wrote this, and now we’re off to dreamland. Do it all over again tomorrow.

Slantember shave #28
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very close. Very smooth.

Rating: 9.75/10

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
After 30 days straight with the FOCS I've decided to carry on until Christmas then have 2021 as the year of the FOCS 365 shaves using it with Permasharp Super blades. The best razor /blade combo I've ever used. :001_wub:

Wow!

What an endorsement of the FOCS.

I have no such plan myself but I've used very few of my other razors since I first tried the Fatip Open Comb Slant. I went from shaving 100% of the time with straight razors to shaving with the FOCS after trying it once. None of the four other slants I've used during Slantember have convinced me they have a prayer of displacing my Fatip OC Slant.

Congratulations on your decision.

I wonder what others have learned this month?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wed 30 Last Slantember #15
SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Bowl Timeless
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade Astra Stainless 1st
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + MacaRoot & Aloe Gel
Pleasant cream. With the nice brush and bowl combine, lather was nice.
Shave with razor paired with blade was really sharp and smooth. Very comfortable too for 3+1passes. Unexpected weeper but BBS result.
Excellent post & aftershave.
Rating 9.5/10
20200930_122115.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks to everyone who has participated and made this an excellent Slantember.

9-30-20.Chubby2-Best.FOCS.VitosRed.480.JPG

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Blue Ribbon Winner
MySlants.640.9-20-20.NiceJPG.JPG

I've enjoyed Slantember and hope you have. Having it end doesn't mean anything much will change in my shaving. The FOCS is simply too good to not use as a daily driver. All my other razors are getting dusty.

Slatember 2020 Winding Down.jpg

You gentlemen have made it a great month. Your comments and posts have been interesting and informative, but most of all I've enjoyed all the great photos. It's also been fun to see a few slants new to me.

I have only five slants and I like 'em all, but one stands out, the Fatip OC Slant. The runner up is the ATT S2. Perhaps by next Slantember I'll have one or two more to compare with the FOCS.

Happy shaves all year long,

Jim

After starting the month with an ATT S1 shave, spent the rest of my time over in SEptember land. But I thought I’d finish out Slantember with my S2 which will set me up for OCtober. :thumbup:

Pre: Stirling bay rum oil
Soap: Speick
Brush: Omega Palm (restored) with Muhle synth knot
Razor: ATT Atlas S2
Blade: Rapira Stainless
Splash: Captains Choice bay rum
D426FF8D-51CA-4D63-BF2B-82E89BED9F5D.jpeg

Very nice shave. Kind of a bay rum theme except for the Speick.

First time with this cream. Tried it because I have 3 synth brushes I just don‘t like using with soaps. Might just not like synths, but to be sure I got several creams to try. Just don’t like the way synths work ...... they just don’t feel as smooth, don’t seem to splay right, drip too much water, and are too springy. But I do like two of the three handles .... this being one of them. So hopefully my cream plan will work.

It might. Didn’t hate the brush as much as I usually do. Might be able to adapt.

I was hoping for more scent from the Speick .... need to play with the water ratio some.

Slantember 30/slant use 30 - FOCS / Voskhod

A little preoccupied today, but the FOCS doesn't require much time or energy for a quality shave.

FOCS head on Piccolo handle
Voskhod (7)
La Toja stick
custom black walnut short'n'scrubby boar
some badgers blends: Richard's Rub, then FloriLDrops

It has been a fine month for me (wink to @Cal ), even with a number of shaves that just used a slant for the final touch.

Thanks to everybody, and thanks and good luck to @Flintstone65 (what with compiling all those shaves). Onward!

Top Bottom