What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 3 | 2020

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, how does it compare to the FOCS for you?

I like the ATT S2 slant. It's my second favorite slant out of the five I have.

It might be a tad more efficient than the FOCS. It's definitely a little bit harder to use in my experience and I think it's absolutely less smooth feeling on my skin and a bit more likely to cut me.

Still, I'm not knocking the S2. It's a fine razor, one I could use every day. I just like the FOCS more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Monday's slant, a Model 38 (thinner silver-plated handle than 37) and a Tatra blade. Nice balance.

full

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have the ATT S2 Slant, and like it. It is an entirely different design from what I can tell (which isn't much). It looks different from my few other slants. That doesn't mean I have a clue what a slant created by a planar surface rather than a curved surface means.

I usually show it off side-by-side with the Fasan Double Slant. I say, "With the Fasan, we can see everything happening right out in the open. With the ATT, all the magic happens inside."

And yes, I am quite familiar with Arthur C. Clarke's comment on the difference between science and magic.

O.H.

I have the ATT S2 Slant, and like it. It is an entirely different design from what I can tell (which isn't much). It looks different from my few other slants. That doesn't mean I have a clue what a slant created by a planar surface rather than a curved surface means.

I've read other explanations of the ways a slant can be created. If I understood what I read there are two ways of doing it + (I think) the way ATT did it. However, that is not me saying I understand what goes into making a slant a slant and torquing the blade. There's probably a slant engineering thread or there should be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's probably better looking than some. Every time I look at my iKon X3, I think it looks like it has a broken jaw that healed crooked. Maybe because it's a closed comb, I don't know, but it looks funny to me. It makes me think of Popeye.

Tue 29 Slantember #14 SOTD
Soap Stirling Executive Man
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mountain Lake 2 Band Badger
Razor Parker SemiSlant head on a Yaqi Handle
Blade Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless #4
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Excellent soap! Really nice scent, good creaminess and slickness. Loading directly for 20secs with quite a dry brush and then face lathering was a great feeling and pleasure.
Shave with razor paired with blade was perfectly smooth and comfortable. Did not feel tugging during the 3+1 passes. BBS mostly. Unexpected weeper on the chin. Post & Aftershave was great...especially the GentsGin. Very good shave. Rating 9/10
20200929_112950.jpg

Slantember shave #27
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 4
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

1 nick. No irritation. Very close. Very smooth.

Rating: 9.5/10

Hi,

Now we see where the term Your Mileage May Vary comes from.

I have both the ATT S2 and the Fasan Red Dot DoubleSlant and greatly prefer the Fasan over the S2. In fact, the S2 was used daily for a couple months and then dumped into the drawer of extra razors. It might come out for OCtober used every eighth day, but again it may not. I haven't decided on that yet.

Stan

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow, you guys have been going gangbusters!!! If you're wondering where your stats and statistician are, well they are both temporarily MIA; but as we approach the end of the month, and I am several weeks behind in my data capture, I regret to say that the stats will be coming later than usual. Sorry about that friends, it just couldn't be helped. I've got to go break the same news to the SEptember shavers as well.....the delay is a combination of life events and significantly more shaves and shavers than last year (which is a VERY good thing). I'm still committed to getting them done, and when I do I'll post them so you guys can find them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantember, Tue, Sept 29th 2020

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant-MFG 2017> Excellent slant razor with a light touch gives great results.
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1):001_wub: - Excellent top tier blade I have used for DE razors, Sharp & smoothhhhh.
Soap: Gillette True cream- Very nice mild scent with good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow with brown whiskers 26mm syn, excellent brush to create lather with cloud like soft tips.
Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. ATG + WTG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant razor.
Slantemper 29th, Wed, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Slantember 29 - FOCS / Voskhod

Winding down, last flowers of summer...

Triple lather/wash with tubed/mentholated Col Conk Lime
FOCS / Voskhod (6)
SliceOfLife Williams tribute / custom black badger stubby
alum, Richard's Rub, FloriLSec

1061EF7C-6FBD-4406-A5B7-D2064CF49727.jpeg

That Streptocarpus needs to come indoors. I am going to miss my slants, but they have earned a little time off.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A day late; catching up...

SOTD: Monday September 28, 2020 (Slantember 11th)
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar
Blade: Astra SP (6)
Soap: OH Puck!

IMG_0373.JPG

As promised, I put the blade with five uses into the "Unglaublich Ausgezeichnet" to do its magic. And it did! Such a beautiful shave. In fact, 24 hours later it feels like about six or seven hours after shaving with most other razors. Which is seductive; I know from experience that Shave Seven is nowhere near that nice.

[sound of blade dropping into bin]

For the moment I think I'll stay on a modified version of that plan, and only let the Wunderbar out to play after "another dog has chewed the bone a little." I don't mind paying attention, and of course developing concentration and technique is always good work. Just getting the first couple of shaves on a slightly more convivial razor will let this thing play to its strengths, and let me relax a little and really enjoy shaving with it.

This was my final Slantember shave. As I set up to transition to OCtober, I've decided to make the last day of September a day for my one single appearance in SEptember. Planning to whip out the Blackland Sabre for Wednesday, then use the rest of that blade for a week in the Starling OC.

O.H.

Top Bottom