What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 3 | 2020

If they are ever seen again in the wild, I plan to get myself a Wunderbar. Have not seen a used one 😕

On the positive, my PAA Bakelite Slant PBOCS arrived and I love it! Holy blade edge Batman!

Will report once I use it.

30A3AF12-EF3C-4E52-8002-C7EBB357BD8C.jpeg
19362AA0-88F8-4915-B804-D18C2FF000F5.jpeg
6CD84E20-0C54-427D-BD94-149F214287D0.jpeg
481F08C2-D4B1-46C8-9BE3-99B195D566DA.jpeg

Slantember 20 - Torqued by Tom / Gillette Silver Blue

>Torqued by Tom, both caps
>Gillette Silver Blue (3)
>Soap list - mentholated Col Conk Amber mixed with brick Cella for prep and brush break in, BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone for the shave
>Semogue Owners Club cherry boar, it already has lost its lather-eating habit when heavily loaded
>Vulfix 6 boar
>alum, witch hazel, FloriLsec (badger blend of Florida Water and Lime Sec 1:1)

3F7A42C5-489A-4B51-B5FC-A8A5DDED1694.jpeg

Fine tuned my TbT shave plan. Wanton Destruction cap (milder) above the jawline, plain cap below. I got a close shave everywhere, comfortable with the exception of a few blade corner catches with the plain cap while going sideways across the neck. No blood, just that one moment that requires putting on the brakes. Top class shave, very, very close.

BF0ADD92-1B03-4DC4-B45E-1689179D9098.jpeg

Does it still count as a slant shave when the slant only does 10% of the work?

Let’s just say that with a dozen straight razor shaves under my belt (this one with the most efficient, if also least attractive, of my four whisker slicers) my technique still needs work. I don’t know if I’m ever going to figure out how to do an ATG pass under my chin. But the FOCS cleans up the mess in high-speed silence, and with 100% less abject terror than using the straight. It has a red-box PPI Gillette Stainless in it. One of my favorite blades.

The brush handle came with the mug, because they were part of the same kit that Surrey made for Sears. Its original knot was so done that I pulled it out by hand, and replaced it with a new boar knot that just finished a 3-day soak. I don’t know. It was okay but it’s weird, I like the sparse knots of vintage US boar brushes better than today’s knots. Got rid of the only Omega I’ve ever had for the same reason. It’s just too...something. They don’t make me happy. I’ll give it a little time to see if it improves.

Soap was VDH Deluxe, just like that which would have originally come with the mug and brush. The AS speaks for itself. Good stuff.

View attachment 1157817

Does it still count as a slant shave when the slant only does 10% of the work?

Let’s just say that with a dozen straight razor shaves under my belt (this one with the most efficient, if also least attractive, of my four whisker slicers) my technique still needs work. I don’t know if I’m ever going to figure out how to do an ATG pass under my chin. But the FOCS cleans up the mess in high-speed silence, and with 100% less abject terror than using the straight. It has a red-box PPI Gillette Stainless in it. One of my favorite blades.

The brush handle came with the mug, because they were part of the same kit that Surrey made for Sears. Its original knot was so done that I pulled it out by hand, and replaced it with a new boar knot that just finished a 3-day soak. I don’t know. It was okay but it’s weird, I like the sparse knots of vintage US boar brushes better than today’s knots. Got rid of the only Omega I’ve ever had for the same reason. It’s just too...something. They don’t make me happy. I’ll give it a little time to see if it improves.

Soap was VDH Deluxe, just like that which would have originally come with the mug and brush. The AS speaks for itself. Good stuff.

I have been doing similar shaves and posting them here. I tend to suppress the SR info on this thread, but then post the full multi-razor shave on The Daily Double - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-daily-double.560134/

It is hard to just bail on SR shaving for a month, especially while working towards mastery.

I still unashamedly do all sideways strokes on my neck with a DE or SE. Any of my full length SRs just shave up, then down.

I have some SR shorties I use on my neck if I want a pure SR shave with the least possible neck stubble. I can angle across a little with those.

Mon 21 Slantember #12 SOTD
Soap Ariana & Evans Kaizen 1st use
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Synthetic
Razor Parker Semi Slant
Blade Wizamet Iridium Super #10 use
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Aqua Velva Musk
1st use of soap. Scent off the tub was not strong but upon lathering wow!! Just a pea size in tye bowl turn into a lusciously thick, creamy and reasonably slick lather. The scent...waaaaaa! Not immediately in love...
Shave with razor paired with the well-used blade was still very nice. Smooth and comfortable 3+1 passes for between bbs to dfs result. Icy water rinse then waited to check post shave face feel....not bad. Soft and no irritation. Then apply Thayers and aftershaves. Face is nicely smooth and soft. 9.7 rating
1st impression on the soap...hmmm....
20200920_233249.jpg

20200921_112937.jpg

Slantember shave #19
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette 7O’Clock Super Stainless (Green) (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks. No irritation. No itching.
Very close. Pleasant shave.

Rating: 9.8/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Didn't have any time yesterday, Sunday the 20th, to post much. But had a quick shave with my Parker Semi-Slant. Used the brushless Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream. Worked pretty good. I much prefer to lather with a regular soap or cream, but when I'm pressed for time, it provides the necessary slickness to get a shave in.

Slantember 20th, 2020!

Parker Semi-Slant.jpg

Slantember 21 - Wunderbar / Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge

Finished off my BOSC Special Reserve AC croap. I'll miss it - truly irreplaceable. But I do have more BOSC SR in other scents. The SOC is not really broken in, but I got lather for two passes. Not abundant, thick lather... this brush is still hungry.
C8006457-BE99-4B80-9C32-772F4B197511.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Monday September 21, 2020
Razor: ATT S2
Blade: Astra SP (3)
Soap: OH Puck!

IMG_0407[1].JPG

Not completely sold on the "Copper Doobie" handle, but I spent six weeks filing it out so I feel a little pressure to rock some love. [shrug] And here I am thinking about exploring Zamak and bakelite slants and working on my light-razor technique. And no, Luke, that's "light razor" as in "low mass..."

:a45:

Also today, returning to my fave razor with a good blade for it. I was rewarded with a great shave.

O.H.

Top Bottom