What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Going with the Cowboy slant again, great shave with a used Astra SP. That highly curved head really makes for some smooth cutting of whiskers!
full

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This has been an impressive Slantember...well done, all!!!

I took a PAA BOCS with a brand new feather out to the country for a week (see pic below). It was accompanied by a Schick H1 and they split the shaves (although one day I used both, one-pass each). I feel like I should've taken a Voskhod rather than the Feather -- the shaves were close, but on the harsh side. I need to do the comparison shave between this razor and it's muse/inspiration (the Fasan OC); I don't recall the Fasan feeling as harsh, but a side-by-side on the same shave and same blade type (and age) should hopefully shed some light on it for me.

I'm not quite back to full-civilization yet, but once I am, I'll start catching up the Slantember spreadsheet so I'm ready to deliver the "stats". Keep up the great shaves!!!
IMG_2157.jpg

@Flintstone65
Fred, I am beginning to think the Feather Hi-Stainless blade + Merkur 37C is too efficient/aggressive for my skin. Cutting too close is just too easy for me to do. Then, after the second shave, the blade is harsh. I’m having much better results with the Voskhod blade and not shooting for a BBS shave. The Voskhods are smooth creations.

Flintstone65

@Flintstone65
Fred, I am beginning to think the Feather Hi-Stainless blade + Merkur 37C is too efficient/aggressive for my skin. Cutting too close is just too easy for me to do. Then, after the second shave, the blade is harsh. I’m having much better results with the Voskhod blade and not shooting for a BBS shave. The Voskhods are smooth creations.
Thanks....I was just updating the spreadsheet and taking note of your shave reports as you moved from the Feather to the Voskhod. I'm feeling the same way about the Feather/BOSC combo, especially after this trip. The last time I used the razor it was with a Voskhod and I don't remember the shave as being harsh.

Voskhods are my go to blades in my 37c. I will be stocking up on them as soon as I finish my current stock.

Today I used a Derby Extra and I guess I got an odd one as it was so dang sharp. I ended up with a couple of weepers and didn’t even feel them. I only use them for one shave and then toss em and I’m working through what I have. They usually only feel good for 1-3 shaves anyways.

My entire month has been
The Artisan Soap Shop: Black Market, Steam, Rival and Barbershop Monday- Thursday daily rotation.
Proraso Red, White and Green and Arko, Williams and Col. Conk Almond for Friday-Sunday for work, daily rotation.

My brushes have been:
Omega 10098 Pro and WCS Pure Badger rotation for Mon-Thurs.
WCS Ancient Stone Synth and WCS Tortoiseshell Synth for Fri-Sun.

First 2 weeks the blade was an Astra SP, one week each and the last 2 weeks are Derby Extras changed daily.

All shaves were with my Merkur 37c.

That should cover my data for the spreadsheet. [emoji16]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Slantember 22 Five Stars

It has been a hectic Slantember, with a lot of travel and mostly busy days. Lately my shaves have been last minute affairs, with some questionable (but slanted) gear choices. Fixed that with the best shave of the month. And of the rapidly changing season. And of the year.

Wunderbar/Feather Hi-Stainless(4)
RazoRock Blue Barbershop triple milled hard puck uberized with Cremo Cooling
Used the pseudo-scuttle for warm lather.
Chose a Zenith with a softer boar knot.
Finished with alum, Texas 10X Face Freezer AS, and a hint of Xmas EdC.

F3B06686-CFE8-4216-A102-2F6A3DB6AA7A.jpeg

I finally put the Feather in the Wunderbar. Perfect chemistry. Two pass plus touch-up BBS. I gave it full prep and plenty of warm two-phase uberlather.

Confession: I usually don’t require perfection in the neck whorl maelstrom to declare BBS. That area, BBS means Best of Breed Shave, the best I can do. This shave just reset the bar.

I also don’t check for BBS while revisiting all my facial contortions. This shave inspection, I went for fully inflated Dizzy Gillespie cheeks, searching for a trace of roughness.

I could feel the blade more than is usual for me and the Wunderbar. But no irritation, even though I have been in recovery since getting a bit cavalier with the Yaqi slant.

YMMV, but if you have a Wunderbar and haven’t fed it a Feather... Now I have to try a fresh Feather in the Wunderbar. But the slant rotation comes first. Shave on.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
New shave tools are fun. Looking forward to your reports on the S2. I know it’s OT but how about a snapshot of your “sipware”?

Next time I roast, I'll pull out the phone and snap a couple. I grew up in the town where Michael Sivetz retired. He was a chemical engineer whose specialty was coffee. There may be other textbooks on coffee, but Sivetz literally wrote the book on it -- I've read it a couple of times but ChemE is over my head like the roof. [grin] I used to go down to the roastery just to chat with him. He was a little standoffish at first, until he figured out that I wanted to learn. I'd drop in and do some odd jobs for him just to prime the pump. Then he'd start talking about roasting and brewing coffee and I'd take notes as fast as I could. I think he was impressed that I'd walk five miles from home just to learn about coffee.

From him I learned to modify an air popper and roast without recycling flue gasses. I should probably make the effort to find his text again and reread it.

Thanks for bringing up some old memories!

O.H.

Flintstone65

Voskhods are my go to blades in my 37c. I will be stocking up on them as soon as I finish my current stock.

Today I used a Derby Extra and I guess I got an odd one as it was so dang sharp. I ended up with a couple of weepers and didn’t even feel them. I only use them for one shave and then toss em and I’m working through what I have. They usually only feel good for 1-3 shaves anyways.

My entire month has been
The Artisan Soap Shop: Black Market, Steam, Rival and Barbershop Monday- Thursday daily rotation.
Proraso Red, White and Green and Arko, Williams and Col. Conk Almond for Friday-Sunday for work, daily rotation.

My brushes have been:
Omega 10098 Pro and WCS Pure Badger rotation for Mon-Thurs.
WCS Ancient Stone Synth and WCS Tortoiseshell Synth for Fri-Sun.

First 2 weeks the blade was an Astra SP, one week each and the last 2 weeks are Derby Extras changed daily.

All shaves were with my Merkur 37c.

That should cover my data for the spreadsheet. [emoji16]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019
Got it. I'll get it all in there!!! I've almost caught up.

Flintstone65

Slantember 22 Five Stars

It has been a hectic Slantember, with a lot of travel and mostly busy days. Lately my shaves have been last minute affairs, with some questionable (but slanted) gear choices. Fixed that with the best shave of the month. And of the rapidly changing season. And of the year.

Wunderbar/Feather Hi-Stainless(4)
RazoRock Blue Barbershop triple milled hard puck uberized with Cremo Cooling
Used the pseudo-scuttle for warm lather.
Chose a Zenith with a softer boar knot.
Finished with alum, Texas 10X Face Freezer AS, and a hint of Xmas EdC.

View attachment 1019259
I finally put the Feather in the Wunderbar. Perfect chemistry. Two pass plus touch-up BBS. I gave it full prep and plenty of warm two-phase uberlather.

Confession: I usually don’t require perfection in the neck whorl maelstrom to declare BBS. That area, BBS means Best of Breed Shave, the best I can do. This shave just reset the bar.

I also don’t check for BBS while revisiting all my facial contortions. This shave inspection, I went for fully inflated Dizzy Gillespie cheeks, searching for a trace of roughness.

I could feel the blade more than is usual for me and the Wunderbar. But no irritation, even though I have been in recovery since getting a bit cavalier with the Yaqi slant.

YMMV, but if you have a Wunderbar and haven’t fed it a Feather... Now I have to try a fresh Feather in the Wunderbar. But the slant rotation comes first. Shave on.
My confession is that I've been scared to try a feather with the Wunderbar....but you talked me into it. You'll cover the co-pay for the blood infusion I may need after the shave, right? :a16:

My confession is that I've been scared to try a feather with the Wunderbar....but you talked me into it. You'll cover the co-pay for the blood infusion I may need after the shave, right? :a16:

I’ll head down to the blood bank and put a pint in the cooler for you. I think I’m the universal donor blood type. How much is that co-pay again?

If you really want to bleed I can mail you the Yaqi slant! :death:

Safe travels!

Flintstone65

I’ll head down to the blood bank and put a pint in the cooler for you. I think I’m the universal donor blood type. How much is that co-pay again?

If you really want to bleed I can mail you the Yaqi slant! :death:

Safe travels!
:lol: :lol: :lol:. And that's a polite but firm, "no thank you" on the Yaqi!!!

Because of this thread, I changed my plans to do the Feather last. I’m glad I tried the Feather sooner rather than later. I think it has helped my technique. Now I know what the aggressive end of the blades shaves like. No regrets.

Because of this thread, I changed my plans to do the Feather last. I’m glad I tried the Feather sooner rather than later. I think it has helped my technique. Now I know what the aggressive end of the blades shaves like. No regrets.

The Feather shaves you posted convinced me to finally open the Feather tuck, and I’m glad I did. So, thanks!

My usual suspects are Rapira Platinum Lux and Astra. I have been trying plenty of blades, including other Russians like Voskhod and Nacet.

I had heard Feathers were different. Now I’m a believer, even though I’m only on blade #1. I’m not sure it will be an every day blade for me, but I doubt I will let my inventory go to zero.

Next, this Feather in the PBOCS. Then it will be time to ride out Slantember shaving carefully with a Kai rotating through my favored slants. And the iKons.

Merkur 37C + Voskhod (3)
Face lather with MWF and Muhle Synthetic badger.
Blade #1 3rd shave this blade. No nicks, cuts or irritation. 3 passes + touch ups to somewhere between DFS and BBS. Mild aftershave report.

The Feather shaves you posted convinced me to finally open the Feather tuck, and I’m glad I did. So, thanks!

My usual suspects are Rapira Platinum Lux and Astra. I have been trying plenty of blades, including other Russians like Voskhod and Nacet.

I had heard Feathers were different. Now I’m a believer, even though I’m only on blade #1. I’m not sure it will be an every day blade for me, but I doubt I will let my inventory go to zero.

Next, this Feather in the PBOCS. Then it will be time to ride out Slantember shaving carefully with a Kai rotating through my favored slants. And the iKons.
You are welcome.

Maybe this is a group challenge. In a good way.

After the Voskhods, the Astra Super Stainless is up. This will be after Slantember is over. Unless @Flintstone65 takes it into overtime!!!

Merkur 39c_9-23-19.jpg

14th Shave with the 39c Sledge. 1st shave with the GSB blade. Nice BBS.
So far: 14 Shaves with 39c, 8 with a Nacet Blade, 5 with 7 O'Clock Black, and 1 with GSB.

I figure this GSB blade will last me through the end of the month.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Older Merkur 37 with UK Wilkinson Sword for a Monday morning shave, only one week to go!

Top Bottom