What's new

A shaving development that makes you feel like youve been doing it all wrong?

I am taking my ATT S1 DE Slant with me on our upcoming trip. I might even throw in the S2 base plate and see if I can get that one to perform for me... I think I will... thx to @Sethology . I really do love shaving with the S1.... it's so easy to use.. so comfortable. I haven't been able to get it to a 12 hour shave yet..... but I'll bet I could with a bit more practice.
Funny cause I'm considering rebuying alot of razors now as I reexamine my technique 😆 ashamed the blutt guy doesn't seem very active these days

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Funny cause I'm considering rebuying alot of razors now as I reexamine my technique 😆 ashamed the blutt guy doesn't seem very active these days
I read recently here on B&B that Blutt razors should be available again soon... in a few months, perhaps. I sold my Blutt BR-1 0.86... because the 1.20 works so well for me. I had ordered another cap so I'd have two complete Blutts... but only one OEM handle. Since I use the Ti Crown with the 1.20, I included the OEM handle with the 0.86 I sold.

Not sure this counts as a development, but...for the longest time I did a two-pass shave (WTG and XTG). Got great results most of the time, with the occasional nick/cut. I've come to the realization that a one-pass (WTG) shave gives me about 90% the shave of a two-pass shave with a significant reduction in cuts and nicks. I've transitioned almost exclusively to a one-pass shave, except for when getting ready for special events.

Never felt threatened by not stretching skin. I usually just shave my hair off and go about my day.
I probably am a little obsessive about shaving. I've always been weird about my beard and despise tugging of any kind. Thus I'm constantly looking for the perfect and most efficient way to shave. A fools errand it seems. Nothing ever will be 100% perfect.

For a long time, I shaved only with the R41 GS (as you know, one of the most aggressive razors, definitely more aggressive and, accordingly, more effective than the standard chrome version).
Usually, I always have a plan for how the shave will go, with the goal of getting it all off with as few strokes as possible. To do this, I have to think in which direction and how the hairs grow in order to attack them against their growth direction. When I complete this plan, I get a guaranteed and long-term BBS. But, if I relax and start doing learned movements on momentum, the result is never that good. Yes, it's satisfactory, and probably can't be achieved with any other razor, but knowing that it's possible to do better makes me feel like I didn't do my job right.

Well despite my initial melodrama I've now changed my technique a little bit. I flatten my skin and hold it still but don't stretch as much. Though I still keep my skin pretty tight on my stach and goatee area. Those hairs are too powerful otherwise, they end up moving the razor instead of the other way around lol. I shall continue to iterate upon my technique and perhaps try some different razors I once scorned. Thanks for the tips gentlemen.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You could just keep using your Super Slant Lvl 1 and torture yourself with “what could have been” and save the money and experimentation.

You could just keep using your Super Slant Lvl 1 and torture yourself with “what could have been” and save the money and experimentation.
Instead I bought a few of my old razors lol I already know the l1 is perfect for me but it'll be nice to know I can shave with other stuff. Although today I had my most perfect shave of all time. Typically I stretch my skin and contort my face. This has obviously been leading to irritation. Today I relaxed my face and stretched my skin pretty tightly but without using my facial muscles, neck, etc to do anything. I did my usual light skimming of the razor across my skin and damn! It was effortless and took maybe 5 min. I feel this was a breakthrough moment for me ontop of some others. Seems one can use their face to stretch or stretch with their off hand but doing both is a bit too much.

Top Bottom