What's new

Slantember 2019 (Used to be September) Is For Slants!

Gold Merkur 37G today.

Nemo, I really like gold plated razors and thought a Merkur 37G like yours would be nice.

After searching around, my impression is that the 37G is very rare, very hard to find, and very expensive. A Darwin or Gold Toggle would be cheaper and easier to find. Am I right?

Also, do you have any info/history on the manufacturing and dates of the 37G? Thanks to you and anyone else chipping in on this beautiful slant.

Have a Great One!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nemo, I really like gold plated razors and thought a Merkur 37G like yours would be nice.

After searching around, my impression is that the 37G is very rare, very hard to find, and very expensive. A Darwin or Gold Toggle would be cheaper and easier to find. Am I right?

Also, do you have any info/history on the manufacturing and dates of the 37G? Thanks to you and anyone else chipping in on this beautiful slant.

They are still out there occasionally, and much less than a toggle! :001_tongu Not too rare but yes, difficult to find.

I bought my 37G right as they disappeared from Dovo's lineup, I think sometime around 2008-2010. The vintage gold Hoffritz I have was picked up recently for only around $50. You might want to pick up a new 34G before it goes away, I'm wondering how much longer Merkur will continue making that one.

Gold Hoffritz slant

The vintage gold Hoffritz I have was picked up recently for only around $50.

That is a nice pickup!

Thanks for your reply. I have seen back in 2013-2015 the 37G was going for around $50 US, and some of those were factory "blemished" ones. I have seen a couple sell in 2018 that were new in box, each sold separately for over $300 US. This last week I have found 2 toggles and 2 Darwins for sale at or less then the recent 37G sales.

Seems in the last year, the 37G has become a hot item. But if you got a gold Hoffritz for around $50, there is still hope!

Have a Great One! And thanks again Nemo

Slantember 19

Hardware: iKon X3 on OSS handle / Feather(2)
Lube: Arko with a boar in the bowl
AS: High mountain juniper and call gin

6015826B-5B40-4874-AEBD-657D1940F057.jpeg

iKon slants are not pepped up enough by a Feather. I was wised up by yesterday’s debacle and chased DFS, but not too far. CCS - almost. I will dig out a Kai for the iKon crew before the month is over.

The Feather is nesting in my 37C. It should be able to hatch at least a DFS tomorrow.

Merkur 37C + Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
Face lather with MWF and the biggest Muhle Synthetic badger fiber.
3rd shave this blade. One small nick but stopped quickly. Moderate alum sting. Used ASB. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS. Binned the blade.

Next blade will be less sharp.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
One more run for the German bakelite slant before I return to the heavy metal. Friday 20 SEP
full

Merkur 37C + Feather Hi-Stainless (3)
Face lather with MWF and the biggest Muhle Synthetic badger fiber.
3rd shave this blade. One small nick but stopped quickly. Moderate alum sting. Used ASB. 3 passes + touch ups to DFS. Binned the blade.

Next blade will be less sharp.

That’s my hardware today exactly!

Slantember 20
Merkur 37C/Feather(3)
Arko and yet another boar from the rotation
Alum and a hop-based homebrew AS

This razor can deliver DFS with ease. The Feather had its best outing yet. I will give this blade a shot in the Wunderbar and the PBOCS at least, before it gets banked.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Shaveware: ATT S2, Kronos handle
Sharpware: Astra SP (3)
Sudware: Proraso Green, Pure Badger, "Jerry Rigg" lather scuttle [grin]
Sipware: Ethiopian Harrar, wet ferment, fluidized bed roast (Full City), fine burr grind, steep'n'strain

Coming from a long time shaving only SE, I have to say this thing really puts my fanboy module online. I just want to carry it around whispering, "Myy Precioussssss..." I actually did tuck it into the pocket of my sweatshirt one evening, and sat on the couch twiddling it. [shrug]

I have somewhat sparse hair but it's tough. I've found with regular DEs that's often a recipe for some blade chatter. (Had that with an AC razor, too -- a very interesting pattern of nicks on the back of my head.) This seems to be the hot ticket. Just like my favourite SE razors, it's not so much "intuitive" as it is simply "natural." It shaves well without requiring focused attention, though if used with focused attention the results are even more impressive. In those moments when my ADOB* is kicking in, I can still get a nick-free shave.

I also find the OC slant thing to be very efficient. Today's shave was easily one of the best of the last couple months. This thing is so reasonable and non-dramatic that it's almost scary how comfortable it is. Unless it's the first day of vacation, getting me outta the rack early means somebody's gotta go poke the grizzly with a stick. This week I've been spontaneously arising from 30 to 60 minutes early because I want to get in the Shave Cave and play with the S2, and also I want to know I've got enough time to really enjoy it.

O.H.

*Attention Deficit....Oh!...Butterfly!

That’s my hardware today exactly!

Slantember 20
Merkur 37C/Feather(3)
Arko and yet another boar from the rotation
Alum and a hop-based homebrew AS

This razor can deliver DFS with ease. The Feather had its best outing yet. I will give this blade a shot in the Wunderbar and the PBOCS at least, before it gets banked.
Absolutely the 37C can do a DFS with ease. BBS is a challenge for me.

Merkur 37C + Voskhod (1)
Face lather MWF with Muhle Synthetic.
Blade #1 1st shave this blade. One nick that stopped before end of shave. No irritation. Mild alum report. Very low aftershave report. 3 passes + touch ups to better than DFS. Relaxed shave.

Shaveware: ATT S2, Kronos handle
Sharpware: Astra SP (3)
Sudware: Proraso Green, Pure Badger, "Jerry Rigg" lather scuttle [grin]
Sipware: Ethiopian Harrar, wet ferment, fluidized bed roast (Full City), fine burr grind, steep'n'strain

Coming from a long time shaving only SE, I have to say this thing really puts my fanboy module online. I just want to carry it around whispering, "Myy Precioussssss..." I actually did tuck it into the pocket of my sweatshirt one evening, and sat on the couch twiddling it. [shrug]

I have somewhat sparse hair but it's tough. I've found with regular DEs that's often a recipe for some blade chatter. (Had that with an AC razor, too -- a very interesting pattern of nicks on the back of my head.) This seems to be the hot ticket. Just like my favourite SE razors, it's not so much "intuitive" as it is simply "natural." It shaves well without requiring focused attention, though if used with focused attention the results are even more impressive. In those moments when my ADOB* is kicking in, I can still get a nick-free shave.

I also find the OC slant thing to be very efficient. Today's shave was easily one of the best of the last couple months. This thing is so reasonable and non-dramatic that it's almost scary how comfortable it is. Unless it's the first day of vacation, getting me outta the rack early means somebody's gotta go poke the grizzly with a stick. This week I've been spontaneously arising from 30 to 60 minutes early because I want to get in the Shave Cave and play with the S2, and also I want to know I've got enough time to really enjoy it.

O.H.

*Attention Deficit....Oh!...Butterfly!
New shave tools are fun. Looking forward to your reports on the S2.

I know it’s OT but how about a snapshot of your “sipware”?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Brought out one of my smoothest slant shavers -- the Cowboy -- a reverse slant (left side lower, opposite the usual angle). Hard to find info on this company that also made straights way back when.
full

This German-made head is no longer on its original handle, sadly it was put on a silver plated Merkur handle while still in Germany where I purchased it.

"Cowboy" razor thread 2012

Cowboy blade wrapper.JPG

@nemo you have one of the nicest collections around.

Thanks for these wonderful posts.
Thank you, sir, for the kind words!

Last edited:
I started the month with the RR Wunderbar and then moved on to the RR German 37. I plan to finish out the month with the PAA BOCS. I don't remember the BOCS being as efficient as the Wunderbar or as smooth as the German 37, but I've been neglecting it lately and it deserves a chance to prove itself.

Slantember 21 (just barely)

Put out LOTH’s BBQ fire, had dinner (fusion bulgogi, the beef was well-smoked), shaved (in a big hurry) and went to the theater (In the Heights). I can’t seem to get a morning shave.

Wunderbar/Nacet of uncertain vintage
Williams Mug with a basic Vulfix boar
Hazel Hop Husker AS

The Nacet was definitely past its pull date. DTAS - dark theater acceptable shave. I have abundant stubble for tomorrow.

Merkur 37C + Voskhod (2)
Face lathered with MWF and Muhle Synthetic badger.
Blade #1 2nd shave this blade. One weaper stopped before end of the shave. No irritation. No aftershave burn. Close enough and smooth enough. Somewhere between DFS and BBS. Enjoyable Sunday morning shave.

The Saturday evening shave with Muhle R89 and Gillette Super Stainless Green did not upset the apple cart.

Top Bottom