What's new

SHARK WEEK: July 24-31!!

Shark shave #2

I am deeply indebted to the diligent researchers who have spent their life's work finding an affective shark repelent, you my add my experience to your compendium. The Sea Spice Lime was so affective that the shark remained asleep whist I calmly swam close by!

full

I believe I have cracked the code with this blade! I noted in the previous shave that by the end of the first pass, the first edge was already becoming duller. So I decided to risk it all on this 2nd and final shave and went for the most aggressive passes I could perform first!

First pass was south to north, which isn't really against the grain for me. The important part being to shave my neck first with a fresh blade edge. This was a highly affective strategy and one I will be employing in future blade testing! I next went for a more aggressive side to side pass, this being truly against the grain. Then the north to south pass on my neck and this edge is already spent. I squeezed my brush out so I could get enough lather for a clean up pass, but gliding north to south didn't really pick up much of anything. At first I though I had achieved a true BBS shave, but after a few minutes it was evident that the blade just wasn't sharp enough to reduce the stubble all the way. A very even, not patchy, shave. Excellent! The LEA provided a nice cooling burn followed up by the Sea Spice Lime splash after letting the alcohol evaporate. I am still enjoying the subtle scent as sit here typing this up and wishing I had acquired the EdT.

Happy conclusion to Shark week everybody and best wishes for a relaxing weekend!

Truly Impressive!
And I can say that about very few blades.
On some other Forums, members were discussing the Schick Krona Razor. My input was that it performs well with nearly every blade I've used in it. BUT I don't recall ever using any of the Shark blades in it.
So, tonite was the nite. I decided to do a left / right comparison of the Chrome and Platinum blades. I wasn't expecting much from the Platinum, my least favorite blade.

Soap was Shannons Amber Oud
Schick Krona metal tip
Chinese Boxwood handle Synthetic - cheapest brush I own

The shave results were identical BBS for both blades. I attribute this to the lighter than usual regrowth from yesterdays' BBS shave, but it was a comfortable & easy 3 pass shave not requiring any clean up passes. No hint of blood or irritation. Were it up to me, there would be a bunch of starving sharks.
I'll try the Sharks in the Krona again with 2-3 days' growth to verify these are truly worthy blades or not.

Date​
31.07.2022 Shark week​
Main Focus:31/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
209/212 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
8/7 Days in Shark Week
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Nivea
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Mostly Gillette Slanted
Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (9)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

So I decided to extend Shark Week by one day (at least) and give the Shark Chrome another run. Back home in the den after vacation so I had all my gear at my disposal. I chose the Flatboy and see what an aggressive razor does to this blade or vice versa.

There was 🩸! Two weepers, but for a ninth run in a razor like this it was a fantastic shave. I felt pulling on the first few strokes so I changed the angle a bit - one I am actually still learning to dial in for this razor. Somehow I am close but not spot on.

BBS bliss in three light passes. This blade is growing on me and I will definitely get extra’s.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
36ED1FDC-6AE6-4BB8-842D-2E364D42A6E6.jpeg

Shark Week shave number 7 for me. Used the Shark Super Stainless for the seventh and last time. A couple of small weepers again today but not as bad as yesterday. Still had a close shave as the Alum Block caused a little sting again. Glad I participated again this year in Shark Week.

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shaves #5

Last night's shave was still pretty darn good. The Shark Platinum left me with a BBS with a couple painless love bites.

I, again, paired the Shark Platinum with a Fatip Grande and used @COdiak's Frankmenth soap*. I lathered the soap in my Captain's Choice Cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl with my Cherry Semogue Owner's Club finest badger brush. I finished my shave with some Barrister & Mann Terror aftershave splash.

Instead of showering before shaving, I opted to take a shower after shaving this time. I soaked my SOC in a cup of cold water and also soaked an almond sized dollop of the Frankensoap in cold water in my lather bowl for 20 minutes. During this time, I prepared my face and beard by periodically dousing them in (cold) water.

After the soap and brush were soaked sufficiently, I made a thick yogurty lather in my lather bowl. I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG). Before each pass, I wet my face with some bloom water on my face then painted on the lather from my bowl I built a thick and protective layer of lather. I wound up with my usual BBS shave.

The shave was really good but I wound up with painless weepers that appeared out of nowhere. They were easily stopped by my alum block, though. Still, the blade felt as sharp and smooth as with my previous shave.

Afterward, I showered and rinsed off the alum block with some more cold water. I finished my shave by splashing some B&M Terror after shave splash and enjoyed the cooling sensation.

All in all, I would give the shave a 99/100.

*I'm loving how cold it feels in the heat of summer!

E79130F3-A097-47A7-A81B-FBF5B323063F.jpeg

My final SW2022 shave was with an Unknown RFB Adjustable razor, a Grizzly Bay Two Band finest and La Toja. Shave 6 on the Shark Super Stainless.

There are no visual indicators on the adjustment - just clicks. Twelve clicks is a full turn - I wasn't chasing any BBS today so dialed it 2 clicks. This is an excellent shaver that left me with a very respectable DFS, probably just right for a Sunday.

No blood in the water today.... I didn't expect any on the low setting.

Its been awesome fun as always. Hope tosee you all next year - same place about the same time.

SOTD220731.jpg

July 31st,shark final
It's been a very enjoyable week. Lots of great and hilarious stories, some great equipment and new scientific discoveries. Thanks to all!

DScosmetic X2
SHARK Platinum (3)
Tobs pure badger xl
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
P&B Imperial Rum

Another steady endeavour without Shark issues. My daughter's kraken must have been secretly shaving it's tentacles with Arko to scare them off.

full

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shave #8
Tools: SCS Model A Razor, Timberwolf brush & SHArk0 soap :w00t:
This is my last shave for Shark Week.
Another nice thee pass shave plus some touch up.
The Shark Platinum blade surprised me in that it shaved closer than my Shark SS blades.:thumbup1:
As usual for me I had no blood in the water or Irritation.
A big Thank You to @BigJ @AnimalCatcher @Grundi & @Chard52142 :thumbup:
I will return to the Schick blade & see how many more shaves are left in it.

Reposted from the "We're-gonna-need-a-bigger-razor PIF"

Blade: Jaws - blade #2, shave #7
Razor: Aristocrat
Brush: Star
Soap: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes

It has come to my attention that sharks have no love for citrus🍋, so I thought I would go with some Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes. This aftershave smells heavenly and I sure do wish it was still being made as this is my last bottle.

Nice shave today, but the Jaws blade has lost some sharpness, so it's time to send it to Davey Jones locker. I like these blades a lot.... they seem similar in quality to the Sharks.

It was a lot of fun posting in the Shark Week thread and I will continue my nautical adventures in the "We're-gonna-need-a-bigger-razor-PIF" thread.⚓
IMG_2347.JPG

Thank you @BigJ. It was fun!

Last edited:
It is winding down. I had to re-test the bad first Platinum, in case it was my early Shark technique that led to its bad rep. Platinum 2 was so much better behaved.

bad Plat (3) vs S3 (4)
PAA Ascension vs Gillette New Deluxe
Sir Arko, meet Duke Simpson, the 1rst (and Best)
afterwards, a jigger of highly mentholated vodka

B2A5A9FE-DEF6-427D-9463-9BCC53361E61.jpeg

Bad Plat was perhaps a bit better, but still bad. S3 cleaned up both left and right jawline and neck. The Platinum cheek also needed cleanup after two passes. Unheard of!

I proactively binned both blades. Good Plat will take the last swim tomorrow. And my unused second Jaws and S3 blades will rest quietly until, perhaps, next year.

Shark SC shave 4

Hotel room shave last night after a long drive, decided to give the Shark 1 more go rather than opt for the quick cartridge shave.

Tuggy again, particularly the first pass, but that’s maybe because it’s been 2 1/2 days since my last shave since the second pass wasn’t bad at all. Does that extra 12 hours make a difference? Minimal alum feedback or irritation.

🦈 Result: DFS+ (7.5/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 0*
🦵🏻 Limbs chomped off and gnashed into tiny bits: 0

🦈 Result: DFS+ (7/10)
🩸 Facial wounds: 0
🦵🏻 Limbs severed from body and ravenously devoured: 0
* Behold! After 11 months of wet shaving, mostly with one of the mildest DE razors known to mankind, my first ever 2 shaves in a row without blood (DFS+ or better)! And during Shark Week no less!

Last edited:
Day 8 shave #8 on Shark Platinum. Skipped shaving yesterday, so a little more growth today. 9/10 shave. One weeper in my problem arra. I won't blame the shark for the bite.oversll the shaves have been very good this week, may get 100 to throw in rotation. Enjoyed , and survived my first shark week! The otters on my brush soaking mug survived too.

Attachments

• 20220731_080630.jpg
    20220731_080630.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220731_080612.jpg
    20220731_080612.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 8
Shark Platinum shave #6
1 day growth

Razor: Simple Clean Shave razor
Pre: Warm shower with Kurt's Castile unscented.
Soap: Central Texas Soaps Cowboy Spice
Brush: 26mm Yaqi Timberwolf synthetic
After: Stirling Gentleman

What better way to wrap up Shark Week than with my probably new favorite razor, favorite aftershave, and a new soap? The six shooters kept those pesky sharks at bay. I cracked open a new bottle of Stirling Gentleman just to have a proper send off. Those rough and tumble cowboys needed a lesson in manners anyway, so all went well.

3 passes had me the Baby Seal Smooth with no drama that has become par for this blade. There was increased resistance across the grain under my sideburns, so this blade is on it's way out. I guess I'll snap it and throw in my Twig to start out Arko August.

I may not be the best looking guy on the seas, but I'm pretty dang sure I'm the best smelling.

thumbnail_IMG_1273.jpg

Sun 31 Last of Shark Week but not the end!! Looking forward to 2023!!
Soap
Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Razor Gillette Goodwill
Blade Shark Super Stainless 3rd
Aftershave B&M Seville Splash
Top shelf soap for the lather qualities with a nice scent too...enhance by the splash...lovely!
This wonderful blade in the razor provided a good smooth and comfortable shave. 3passes without any issues for a bbs finish. Excellent shave!
20220731_195537.jpg

Top Bottom