What's new

Rotbart Razors

sorry Adam, I can´t help. There is no set number on the package, only a hand written date:

P1040819.JPG
P1040820.JPG
P1040822.JPG

R

romsitsa

Thank you guys. It's milder than a Gillette RFB, as the head is a very different design.
On Gillettes the cap and base plate touches in the middle and there is a gap at the edge of the cap.
On Rotbarts the edge of the cap presses the blade agains the comb, and there is a gap in the middle of the head (at least on mine).

Achim,

your photos were a great help to align the corner teeth, it's interesting that my comb has deeper recesses in the corner teeth.
Could you please help to figure out the date? I see 16.2.25, would this mean 1925?

Adam

I have noticed the missing gap of the Rotbart RFB. Interesting to know that it is even milder than the Gillette RFB.
I hope to find such a Rotbart some day.

Achim,

your photos were a great help to align the corner teeth, it's interesting that my comb has deeper recesses in the corner teeth.
Could you please help to figure out the date? I see 16.2.25, would this mean 1925?

Adam

yes, in Germany we say 16. Februar 1925

R

romsitsa

Hello,

thank you Achim. Last question, was there a nickel, gold (anything else) version or only silver?

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello Achim,

interesting, thank you. Mine is at the polisher right now, it was definitely silver plated. A fellow collector also has a silver plated example, maybe an earlier production or there were silver and nickel plated models to choose from. A catalogue would be nice...

Adam

Today I used my beautiful Rotbart RFB. I haven't used it for so long that I actually had forgotten how it is.
Does anyone else agree that it's very mild, but once the angle is found it's very effective. The head makes the blade very rigid.

I hade a little bit of struggle to find the angle, for me it was very steep, the handle almost pointed straight up.

R

romsitsa

Today I used my beautiful Rotbart RFB. I haven't used it for so long that I actually had forgotten how it is.
Does anyone else agree that it's very mild, but once the angle is found it's very effective. The head makes the blade very rigid.

I hade a little bit of struggle to find the angle, for me it was very steep, the handle almost pointed straight up.

I also found it to be on the mild side and I also had to play around with angles (a lot).
My impression was the shave is close to an Old type but it needs a light hand because of the added weight.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Today got the Rfb back from polishing, went with it to the plating company. They had some free time so promptly replated it. Both the polishers and platers are some of the nicest people I ever worked with.

This is where it all started:
proxy.php

And here it is in its new clothes:
proxy.php

Three teeth have hairline cracks that could have been silver soldered before plating, but the handle also had some minor but deep pitting, so I decided to leave all defects visible.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

That's a good looking one! I've been wanting a RFB plate for a while .

R

romsitsa

Thank you all :). I'm wondering for how long the Rfb was produced as it's more of a rare sight as any other Rotbart.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello All,

a tricky question, on the Rotbart Optatus-Tank (blade sharpener) an old type Rotbart razor (for three hole blades), but it's fitted with the thick, vertically stirped handle (like my RFB above).
Is this only artisic licence or are there old type Rotbarts with a thick handle?

Thank you

Adam

C1DB3048-4AFA-4F25-B3EF-99BFA563FEA6.jpeg
0FAAE1D4-F06E-4657-8753-90B6D726F0EC.jpeg
22E6A4C3-C033-4A80-B1F5-AE5F1B79A3DC.jpeg
53630B9E-30D3-4C70-A5BC-9FDD5D61AC06.jpeg
I just picked this one up but not sure about the history of this model. All I know is it says Rotbart Extra on the box. I cleaned it and the case as they were both very dirty and I shaved with it and it gave me a nice close shave. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

R

romsitsa

It's an "old type" Rotbart razor in a "RFB" Rotbart box. The one pictured on the lid, was in it originally. The razor (at least my example) gives the same close shave as a thin cap Gillette but is slightly smoother. The blade is a later example, my guess is 60-ies, maybe.
Nice catch.

Achim,

I found some adverts with the same thick handle razor in the emblem, but no photo of an actual one or price or anything.

Adam

Top Bottom