What's new

Rotbart Razors

Rotbart was the Gillette of its day -- in Germany. And they pioneered a great set of razors, cases, and blades -- until they were purchased by Gillette, in the late 1920s or early 1930s (some say 1927). This buyout allowed Gillette to use many of the Rotbart designs and patents, and for a period of time after WWII, it was not clear whether Rotbart (still existing as a brand name) was copying the Gillettes, or Gillette copying the Rotbarts. In any case, there have been some excellent presentations of the classy vintage Rotbarts over the years, including this presentation I did, plus this one and this excellent set presented by our fellow member Raiserhobel.

So here are a few of my other Rotbarts -- not all, but it was a beautiful spring day in New England yesterday & these guys all got out for a picnic. And asked that their photos be taken & shared -- hoping that this might increase their fan base.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Like the Eclipse, they engraved the name on the handle. The upper one is plated in black nickel.

proxy.php

This metal case has held up quite well. Seems like moisture in the bathrooms has caused many of these to rust. But this retro case is in really fine shape.
proxy.php

The black nickel has faded with wear but closely resembles the finish of the Gillette 2-toned Popular -- plated in black nickel & rhodium.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This Bakelite cased set is very similar to the shagreen case -- each seems to be mint. Great engineering. Quite different from the Gillette models of that same era. Glad to have found them & it is sad that their manufacture was terminated with so few in circulation.

If you have some photos you want to share of your Rotbart sets, please do so here. Or start your own thread so we can accumulate more photos of these classic razors.

Wow, those are very fetching razors. I especially like how the model is stamped into the knurling. Did any other makers do that? "Red Beard" is a great brand name as well... though based on my OC experiences, sometimes painfully literal :ohmy:

Now that I know these things exist, it's time to hit some local antique stores!

Very nice photos mate.

I've been looking at a Mon-Extra on an auction site and the picture showing it makes it look as if it has a potential crack in the handle. I can see the same thing in the photos of your razors, but given their overall condition I'm presuming that the handles aren't cracked?

Do you know if these razors suffered from handle cracking or is it just the way the light reflects from them?

Jake inspired me to take some new snapshots. this set is one of my shinest set i have and is one of my top jewels. i think it was avaible in the 30s cause the baseplate and the extended inner barrel is similiar to the gillette criterion deLuxe razor , which was sold in the mid 30s. i'm still looking for some information about this set. if you have a set which is the same or similiar, post a picture.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Jake,
Those are fantastic. A question. The black handled one, is that solid metal or Baklite? A beautiful razor & a great collection you have. Thank you for your pics as always I look forward to them.

Jake inspired me to take some new snapshots. this set is one of my shinest set i have and is one of my top jewels. i think it was avaible in the 30s cause the baseplate and the extended inner barrel is similiar to the gillette criterion deLuxe razor , which was sold in the mid 30s. i'm still looking for some information about this set. if you have a set which is the same or similiar, post a picture.
proxy.php

:a47:

Jake,
Those are fantastic. A question. The black handled one, is that solid metal or Baklite? A beautiful razor & a great collection you have. Thank you for your pics as always I look forward to them.
The black handled Rotbart is anodized aluminum. It is quite light and very attractive. Stealth...

Very nice photos mate.

I've been looking at a Mon-Extra on an auction site and the picture showing it makes it look as if it has a potential crack in the handle. I can see the same thing in the photos of your razors, but given their overall condition I'm presuming that the handles aren't cracked?

Do you know if these razors suffered from handle cracking or is it just the way the light reflects from them?
I haven't seen cases where the handle split -- like the old Gillette hollow handled razors. But there are often plating issues with these old Rotbarts. Nonetheless, quite attractive and interesting.

Rasierhobel's set does provide an excellent example of the incredible industrial design and aesthetics of these early Rotbarts. Too bad Gillette couldn't afford to keep this model in production. Seems like there is only one now in existence. And it's owned by a fellow B&Ber. Thanks for the photos.

Hi there,

let me introduce you my vintage german Rotbart open comp razor which got a very bright shining alloy. What do you think is that rhodium or silver? The whole set is in very good condition for its age and the shaves are superb. Traditionally I only use Rotbart razor blades (german and russian) with that open comp.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Jake, you got a wonderfull collection of Rotbart safety razors. :thumbup1:

Regards,
Alexander.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Beatiful razors! They seem to go for quite to high prices (for me) at ebay, these Rotbarts. Othervise i would have snatched one of these great looking black-nickel razors already.

Top Bottom