What's new

Rotbart Razors

R

romsitsa

Ohnono I have this set but in much worse condition. I want just to contribute with this picture because Mr razor claimed that my razor is in wrong box.

Hello Kameo,

your box has the earlier razor and logo on the liner, so it is earlier than your razor. It should have come with a thick handle old type style razor.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Small addition, the nickel head/silver handle “Old type clone” version had a translucent protective lacquer over the silver plate.

Adam

I just stumbled on this thread today after posting in another B&B thread here: Even old farts fall in love - first shave with a Rotbart Mond-Extra RFB

I'll post up my pics here as well:
my contribution in Pics - the scale is set to Ounces and total weight is 0.90oz:
Rotbart Mond-Extra Razor assembled without DE blade
0.90oz
proxy.php

Rotbart Mond-Extra Handle Barrel
0.15oz
proxy.php

Rotbart Mond-Extra Handle (with permanently attached Open Comb)
0.33 oz
proxy.php

Rotbart Mond-Extra Handle flipped over to show MFG stamp inside Open Comb part.
proxy.php

Rotbart Mond-Extra Razor Head (no Bullet Posts - uses slots to secure DE blades)
0.42 oz
proxy.php

Rotbart Mond-Extra Razor Head showing curve
proxy.php

inscribed on the lowest 'smooth' part toward the bottom of the handle:
ROTBART
MOUND-EXTRA
(all caps, and ROTBART is centered above the MOUND-EXTRA line)

proxy.php

*For reference: scale checked using a 500g calibration weight - it registered 499.8g. Then re-confirmed my original weight of this razor and it again showed 0.9 oz / 25.6g.

For an additional weight comparison - my late 80s Gillette Super Adjustable with Diamond knurled handle weighs in at 2.06 oz / 58.4 g on the same scale (just measured after using the calibration weight). so, over twice as heavy as my Rotbart.

Any advice on cleaning up the metal (I'm not sure what it is made of) would be appreciated. Absent any good advice, I'll try baking soda.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... my contribution in Pics - the scale is set to Ounces and total weight is 0.90oz:
Rotbart Mond-Extra Razor assembled without DE blade
0.90oz
Any advice on cleaning up the metal (I'm not sure what it is made of) would be appreciated. Absent any good advice, I'll try baking soda.

Wow, you've got a light one! Mine, looks similar, is silver plated brass and weighs about twice as much, around 2 ounces, over 50g.

If yours is aluminum as part of it seems to be, I wouldn't use baking soda as the alkaline sodium bicarbonate will react with the metal and discolor it. I'd go for an acidic cleaner instead.

Best Rotbart thread --> Safety Razor of the Month, December 2013 - Rotbart

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have got at Rotbart anticor razor with several blades. What is this tiny razor meant for ?

It's for DIY home surgery. :ohmy: Made for cutting corns from feet.
Disclaimer: I personally do not recommend this practice.

Not sure how you could get one much nicer than that! I'm still looking for that particular model's zippered case (aluminum handle + No15 head) and have the 5031 in a plastic box with the Gillette Tech style head. Thanks for the close up!

Other (later) style:
full
I picked up this same razor last night, with a case, though not certain if it's a matching leather zipper case because it's not labeled Rotbart and doesn't have the purple liner like others. I've been really enjoying the FB Tech and Hybrid Tech, so the head geometry of this razor really caught my eye. I didn't realize the handle was aluminum! I'm really looking forward to it's arrival!

View attachment 841089 View attachment 841090 View attachment 841091 View attachment 841092 I just picked this one up but not sure about the history of this model. All I know is it says Rotbart Extra on the box. I cleaned it and the case as they were both very dirty and I shaved with it and it gave me a nice close shave. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

my mom recently gave me a Rotbart Mond Extra razor that looks a lot like this that belonged to my grandfather who was born in Germany in about 1916 and lived there his whole life. My understanding from random internet searches is that if it is solid brass it was made before WWII?

Also, I sent it off to Razor Emporium for cleaning and to get a bent tooth fixed. I opted out of re-plating it. Do you guys think I should actually re-plate it in silver?

Hello , I have find this Rotbart. Anybody know what number it is?
IMG_4754.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpeg
    IMG_4755.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4753.jpeg
    IMG_4753.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 3
No.15
Great shavers with a lovely head design. It looks like someone polished the handle.

Nice case, many were sold in cardboard.
full
Hello , I have polished the razor up. Is this a 2 piece razor or 3 piece razor. It comes difficult apart.

Called a 2-piece. When you say comes apart what do you mean ... Are you removing the knob?
Or when you remove the threaded cap?
When removing the cap its comes off difficult. The handle turns but it’s hard. Is the handle on the bottom to onscrew?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
When removing the cap its comes off difficult. The handle turns but it’s hard. Is the handle on the bottom to onscrew?
That happened to one of mine, there was corrosion. Live with it if you can, sometimes the knob turns very hard.
I broke one trying to fix it so be careful.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have also this one.
Very nice. You would probably enjoy this thread from 10 years ago -- very informative!

Very nice. You would probably enjoy this thread from 10 years ago -- very informative!

hey,i posted the traveler case also on there.it's from 1937 i shaved with ones i find it very aggressive.

Hello , anybody seen this from Rotbart ?
IMG_4921.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4925.jpeg