What's new

Russian DE Safety Razors

Many of us are familiar with (and appreciate) the Russian "Gillette Super Adjustable knockoffs" from the 1980's known by the names Rubin, Coronation, Konsul and a few other names. If you're interested in knowing more about the history of Russian razors there's a good website. Google "antik-forum.ru razor" (and opt for an English translation) and you'll find 158 pages of Russian razor history filled with photos and fun facts like:

"In 1925, the workshop was reorganized into the Leningrad State Plant of Meteorological Instruments "Metpribor", which was subordinated to the All-Union Trust for Optical and Mechanical Production, since 1931 to the All-Union Association of the Precision Industry of the Supreme Council of National Economy (since 1932, the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry) of the USSR."

Here's another "Rubin". It was made in Leningrad in the first half of the 1960's apparently. An obvious Rotbart 15 clone and shown here with two other 15's from I believe 1937 and 1952. There's also a shot comparing it to another Rotbart razor (a Tech type, not sure the correct name) which has the most similar handle to it. The case seems to copy the Gillette Super Speed. The razor was also marketed as the "Leningrad" from the mid 1960's until at least 1972.

KK015765.JPGKK015777.JPGKK015770.JPGKK015768.JPGKK015784.JPGRubin or Leningrad DE Safety Razor, Robart 15 clone, Russia 1.JPGRubin or Leningrad DE Safety Razor, Robart 15 clone, Russia 7.JPG

Many of us are familiar with (and appreciate) the Russian "Gillette Super Adjustable knockoffs" from the 1980's known by the names Rubin, Coronation, Konsul and a few other names. If you're interested in knowing more about the history of Russian razors there's a good website. Google "antik-forum.ru razor" (and opt for an English translation) and you'll find 158 pages of Russian razor history filled with photos and fun facts like:

"In 1925, the workshop was reorganized into the Leningrad State Plant of Meteorological Instruments "Metpribor", which was subordinated to the All-Union Trust for Optical and Mechanical Production, since 1931 to the All-Union Association of the Precision Industry of the Supreme Council of National Economy (since 1932, the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry) of the USSR."

Here's another "Rubin". It was made in Leningrad in the first half of the 1960's apparently. An obvious Rotbart 15 clone and shown here with two other 15's from I believe 1937 and 1952. There's also a shot comparing it to another Rotbart razor (a Tech type, not sure the correct name) which has the most similar handle to it. The case seems to copy the Gillette Super Speed. The razor was also marketed as the "Leningrad" from the mid 1960's until at least 1972.

View attachment 1685780View attachment 1685781View attachment 1685782View attachment 1685784View attachment 1685785View attachment 1685786View attachment 1685787
Thanks for this!

I have seen quite a few Soviet era bakelites that look interesting. Some good cased examples on a certain bay.

One is called the "Tourist" and another the "Novost-1".

I did see what appeared to be a Soviet English Rocket HD cased clone last year. It looked well-made, as did what looked to be a Slim copy.

Last edited:
Thanks for this!

I have seen quite a few Soviet era bakelites that look interesting. Some good cased examples on a certain bay.

One is called the "Tourist" and another the "Novost-1".

I did see what appeared to be a Soviet English Rocket HD cased clone last year. It looked well-made, as did what looked to be a Slim copy.
I believe the Super Speed/Rocket clone is called the Volga. Thanks for the support!

Well the Russian got to shave like rest of World so I can only assume them make a few Razor like their famous AK-47's, and AK-74's, working like an Ever Ready bunny. Built to last, and work well.
I've admired Russian made items as well. Like their camera lenses Mir, Jupiter, Helios, Industar. I also had a Lada Niva at one time. Beautiful rugged little vehicle and I still pine for it. However, the quality on a lot of Russian stuff can be hit or miss. Get a good one and you're set but if not...Also their products can be a bit, how do you say...quirky. Maybe an acquired taste? Just my two cents!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here's another "Rubin". It was made in Leningrad in the first half of the 1960's apparently. An obvious Rotbart 15 clone and shown here with two other 15's from I believe 1937 and 1952. There's also a shot comparing it to another Rotbart razor (a Tech type, not sure the correct name) which has the most similar handle to it.
Nice. The Rotbart in the middle is a 5031 by the way.

Here's a Rotbart-style No.15 clone. Does yours have this logo? I haven't been able to find out what it is (your pics from the bottom aren't too clear. So perhaps it is Soviet. Thanks!

full

Not nearly as smooth as the 15 style head, whatever it is!

Nice. The Rotbart in the middle is a 5031 by the way.

Here's a Rotbart-style No.15 clone. Does yours have this logo? I haven't been able to find out what it is (your pics from the bottom aren't too clear. So perhaps it is Soviet. Thanks!

full

Not nearly as smooth as the 15 style head, whatever it is!
I hadn't noticed those circles before. But I do see them now. Looks like you're the proud owner of Rubin or Leningrad! Congrats.

KK015818.JPG

Strangely, mine is a three piece (short post cap).

Thanks for the verification!
Interesting. I'd guess that mine's a Rubin (roughly 1960 - 1965) while perhaps yours is a Leningrad (mid 1960's - early 70's)? Perhaps digging through the website I mentioned above may reveal the answer.

Not vintage but I was interested in buying the Homelike Shaving Start-2 razor. And when I became interested, the conflict started over there and now we can't buy them here in the USA. I was also interested in buying the Smart Helix Apollo that's made in Ukraine. Again another one that's impossible to buy now. Wish I would have seen them before everything started! Maybe someday everything will normalize for them to become available again.

Not vintage but I was interested in buying the Homelike Shaving Start-2 razor. And when I became interested, the conflict started over there and now we can't buy them here in the USA. I was also interested in buying the Smart Helix Apollo that's made in Ukraine. Again another one that's impossible to buy now. Wish I would have seen them before everything started! Maybe someday everything will normalize for them to become available again.
Yes, let's hope so for everyone's sake.

Nemo, you said "The Rotbart in the middle is a 5031 by the way."

The first photo here, of the razor with the head like a "15", you are calling a 5031 which is fair enough. I've also seen it described this way. But I've seen it described as a 5040 as well.

The second photo here, of the razor with the "tech-like" head, I've seen it described as a 5031.

Seems like Rotbart used the number 5031 for both different styles of head at different times..

Rotbart 5040 Safety Razor, 1952, Heavy, Germany 2.JPG
Rotbart %22Tech%22 5031 Safety Razor, Germany 1.JPG

Here's another Russian razor, a Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) "Extra" model, made in Moscow in the years 1947-1952 according to the antik-forum.ru website. After WWII, the country was attempting to make more high quality products. This razor was only sold in the department store for luxury goods not available to the general public. It's all brass and 57 grams weight.

Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 1 .JPG
Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 2.JPG
Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 3.JPG
Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 4.JPG
Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 5.JPG
Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) %22Extra%22 Razor, 1947-52, 57g, Moscow, Russia 6.JPG

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here's another Russian razor, a Krasnaya Zvezda (Red Star) "Extra" model, made in Moscow in the years 1947-1952 according to the antik-forum.ru website. After WWII, the country was attempting to make more high quality products. This razor was only sold in the department store for luxury goods not available to the general public. It's all brass and 57 grams weight.
Kind of an Old Type with a solid safety bar!
Have you shaved with it? Cap seems narrow, I'd like to see a blade in that thing.

Kind of an Old Type with a solid safety bar!
Have you shaved with it? Cap seems narrow, I'd like to see a blade in that thing.
Funny you should say that. The compiler of the razors on the website that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread also commented that this razor was modelled on the Gillette Old Type. I couldn't see it, focussing on the fact that it just wasn't an open comb! But, looks like you see things the same way. Yes, I did shave with it..once. Not that smooth, heh heh.. Maybe it just needs another try? (One can hope.)

Here's a couple photos with a blade. Quite the gap!

KK016059.JPG
KK016062.JPG

Interesting. I'd guess that mine's a Rubin (roughly 1960 - 1965) while perhaps yours is a Leningrad (mid 1960's - early 70's)? Perhaps digging through the website I mentioned above may reveal the answer.
Nemo, there's a Leningrad up for sale right now on Etsy. (I can say that right? Only auctions are forbidden?) Anyway, I mention it only to point out that it also is a 3 piece, like yours. Perhaps this particular razor is a "Rubin" as a 2 piece and later, a "Leningrad" as a 3 piece. This seems to support my tentative and speculative suggestion above.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nemo, you said "The Rotbart in the middle is a 5031 by the way."

The first photo here, of the razor with the head like a "15", you are calling a 5031 which is fair enough. I've also seen it described this way. But I've seen it described as a 5040 as well.

The second photo here, of the razor with the "tech-like" head, I've seen it described as a 5031.

Seems like Rotbart used the number 5031 for both different styles of head at different times..
Going by this, I was ... 1957 katalog (mr-razor) ... so yeah, I think the 5031 goes both ways (No.15 and Tech heads)
1691197836804.png

Lots of cool Rotbart info here: Safety Razor of the Month, December 2013 - Rotbart - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/safety-razor-of-the-month-december-2013-rotbart.376278/page-2

Top Bottom