What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I didn't know that. Is it as good as above the tie WIndsor?

You may know I've used a few Above the Tie razors, but I'm pretty new to their Windsor line.

I have a whole bunch of razors. Not every razor. (My name is not David.) The CM1, the CR1, and the SH1 are for me damn hard to beat shaving tools.

Am I saying they'd suit you? Of course not. How could I know that.

To me, this is a fun and interesting topic, and a Gillette Old Type is also hard to beat as is a FOCS.

There are folks who are all about spending a lot of money on stuff. Some might accuse me of being one of them. (All things being relative.) I'm just a hobbyist searching for the PUHG razor.

Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail.

I've also learned a whole lot about what I like and don't like so I'm becoming much more particular in what I buy, but getting there was expensive. Maybe one day I'll turn to selling stuff on the BST?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've said it before, but since this exact same thread pops up routinely, I don't mind repeating it.

You can insert literally any other product in place of "razor" and you'll have the exact same conversation. Cheap watches and expensive watches both tell time. Cheap shoes and expensive shoes both cover your feet. Cheap cars and expensive cars both get you to work. Cheap dinner and expensive dinner both fill you up. Cheap booze and expensive booze both get you drunk. Cheap razors and expensive razors both shave.

If we're honest with ourselves, we rarely make purchases for strictly utilitarian purposes. We buy story, we buy heritage, we buy a feeling, and we buy items that reflect back to us who we want to be. Buy an expensive razor if it makes you happier and don't if it doesn't. You'll still get a good shave either way.
Hear, hear!

Not the $50 model! But it is a Stainless alternative to aluminium that has crept up in price.

Put the credit card away and take some deep breaths. :wacko:
Lol
You may know I've used a few Above the Tie razors, but I'm pretty new to their Windsor line.

I have a whole bunch of razors. Not every razor. (My name is not David.) The CM1, the CR1, and the SH1 are for me damn hard to beat shaving tools.

Am I saying they'd suit you? Of course not. How could I know that.

To me, this is a fun and interesting topic, and a Gillette Old Type is also hard to beat as is a FOCS.

There are folks who are all about spending a lot of money on stuff. Some might accuse me of being one of them. (All things being relative.) I'm just a hobbyist searching for the PUHG razor.

Pegasus Unicorn Holy Grail.

I've also learned a whole lot about what I like and don't like so I'm becoming much more particular in what I buy, but getting there was expensive. Maybe one day I'll turn to selling stuff on the BST?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I got a cheap razor to see if I liked DE shaving. I did then I read reviews in Amazon and got the Feather and love it so so so much I probably will never buy another razor, but love this as a hobby now.
I think going kinda expensive was a good choice. My choice was moderate considering.

If we're honest with ourselves, we rarely make purchases for strictly utilitarian purposes. We buy story, we buy heritage, we buy a feeling, and we buy items that reflect back to us who we want to be.
That’s why I bought a Blackbird on BF ;). 1) it’s a pretty razor, 2) excellent craftsmanship, 3) I like to support small businesses and decent people because I have many entrepreneurs in my family, 4) the razor looks like a spy jet 5) the most important, because the Ti version is sold out.

High hopes in this razor :p

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I love all my razors, even if they are 3D printed cheap plastic.
177573892_4008626999176173_5449388774205122449_n.jpg

Using leather to make your own razor also brings me a lot of fun.
The joy we can find in razors is limitless.
212371086_4213958661976338_2480820338984408115_n (1).jpg
218294062_4262892987082905_5367230487584946946_n.jpg

I am satisfied with the performance of the cheap (cost-effective) razor.
40231958_1916632285042332_8443834536327905280_n.jpg

40231958_1916632285042332_8443834536327905280_n.jpg

But the more precise processing of the high-priced razor allows me to focus on the control of the technology, instead of suspecting the problem caused by the hardware; more importantly, it is like a beautiful work of art, even if it is outside of shaving, I can Enjoy the pleasure of showing the razor in the study.
118197503_3318522458186634_8970913184607394659_n.jpg

Since I have more than a pair of pants, it would not be a sin to bring extra fun from some more exquisite razors.

Last edited:
So far, I have been content with the shaving performance of my Rockwell adjustable plate and RR Gamechanger. I realize that it could be a dangerous slippery slope, but I am thinking about trying some of the more expensive DE razors. My question is, what can I reasonably expect to get by entering the realm of $100+ razors - is it mainly better craftsmanship, detail, materials, aesthetics, or is there a significant improvement in cutting efficiency, smoothness, closer shave, etc? I would appreciate feed-back from those of you who have experience in this department. Thanks
My most expensive razor is my Weber PH with Classic handle: $80.00. Although I like the weight and balance, It does not shave me any better than my Gillette Slim that i've had for 60 years ($1.98) or my Dads Fatboy. I also have a brass chrome coated Muhle Head ($24.00) with an inexpensive brass/chrome handle that also gives me great shaves.
Yes it's nice to have an expensive well built stainless steel razor but the well built brass/chrome inexpensive razor will also give great shaves and last a lifetime if not more. It's all a matter of choice and affordability.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find that in the debate concepts get crossed. Cheap vs experience. Cheap is Cheap. Cheap isn't quality. To me. Now quality can be found inexpensively. Like vintage razors that survived. They survived cause they are quality.

That feeling you describe can be summed up as value. You can fund value in items priced at high and medium and even low cost at times.

Cheap to me mean something different. They are great to start, but why not just get something that will last and you will loge and be done with it,? That's value.

Personally, I use the word cheap to mean inexpensive, or low cost. There are other words I use to mean poor quality, and most of them aren't forum friendly.

I started double edged shaving about 30 years ago. I used a cheap black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor. That razor was used exclusively (with Wilkinson Sword blades) for twenty years. I still have that razor in my travel wash bag. Ridiculously cheap (whatever your definition), but it did exactly what I needed it to, without fail.

My (still quite cheap) Edwin Jagger razor was definitely an upgrade. Not in terms of materials, or workmanship, or branding and exclusivity, as those things don't hold much value for me, but in terms of the efficiency of the shave.

I use cheap fountain pens, with cheap inks. I've not encountered a reason to spend more. I don't buy cheap notepads any more though, as paying extra for those does make a difference. My shoes and hats tend to be cheap, but my coats tend not to be. I smoke expensive tobaccos in cheap pipes. I only wear cheap watches. I use cheap and expensive soaps, although some of my cheap soaps (£6-ish) outperform some of the other expensive ones on the market (£20-ish) with my brush/water/technique.

I tend to start cheap in anything new, and only spend more if I need to, or if that more expensive option offers me a tangible benefit. History, country of origin, brand exclusivity, celeb endorsement, peer behaviours, and status symbols, don't qualify as reasons for me to spend more, particularly if the results don't change. Some say "buy once, cry once", but I find with my bargain hunting, and slower drip spending, that I very rarely cry at all :lol1:

I don't resent buying a replacement for a worn out or broken item, so long as the first one gave good value and paid for itself. My zamac razor is here to stay.

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Pride of ownership. True, it may be a bit venal, but it sure feels good. It's gratifying to own the best of something so long as it does not become an obnoxious obsession.

Look, I may never own Bentley motorcar or a Patek Phillipe wristwatch, but aspiring to greet the day with a Wolfman is at least within the realm of possibility, however remote.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
As in all purchases, my advice is to never pay for quality you don't see/feel and/or appreciate. If the cheap wine tastes just like the expensive wine to you - buy the cheap wine.

Razors have another dimension to the equation: your face and hair. So a better quality razor may have some advantages, but not provide a better shave if it's not the right marriage of technique/skin/hair.

I've been using a Wolfman virtually every day I'm home for the past 6 years. It provides me with a better shave than the rest of the collection. Blade gap, weight of handle, etc. - lots of stuff to add to the skin/hair/technique marriage. If you're bleeding each week you might not need a new razor, you might need better technique.

You probably have to get a little lucky, or purchase and sell a huge pile of razors.

My travel razor is an ATT Windsor, and it's a beauty - very close to the Wolfman shave. My first 5 ATT razors were more expensive than my Wolfman, but now they are a bargain.

And I have a bunch of the razors that some of you think shave just as good as the expensive ones, and maybe they do for you - but they don't for me. So each shaver is on a journey to find what works for them, and the journey can be fun.

In the end it is the $0,05-0,15 blade that actually shaves you but since it isn't very comfortable or safe to hold that in your bare hands a razor comes in handy. Geometry of the razor plays a role, as your skills and prep do but once you have a razor that shaves well, spending more money will hardly improve things.

When you want a razor for eternity; don't even try as they do not excist, period. When you want to come close you could go for titanium but it is all relative. Stainless steel sounds robust but I bet when you burry a well plated Zamak-made razor alongside a stainless steel version (not the Feather; that one is chrome plated also) in your garden and pick them up after a decade or two the Zamak razors will be in a much better condition.

Then again, if you like the craftmanship on some of those razors or the weight or whatever, there is no reason not to try one.

(If you want a decent razor that you want to pass on for just little money; buy 3 Lord L6 razors for under $30.-, use 1 or 2 (they'll hold most of the time) and give the new one in blister to your son! :lol: )

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I'm tempted to add a Progress or a 34G down the road.

The 34G is tempting me, too. A 37G even moreso even if they’re mostly imaginary. IIRC, @Dave-the-rave has a 34G that looks brand new after several years of use.

B-52 bombers are mostly made of aluminum and they are holding up pretty well after more than sixty years.

Yeah, but a BBS shave from a B52 bomber might be several city blocks’ too close.

I'm not dizzy yet so let's go around again:
Cheap watches and expensive watches both tell time.
Maybe so but the cheap watch may stop working at any moment and may not give accurate time, plus there is no pride of ownership in a cheap watch.
Cheap shoes and expensive shoes both cover your feet.
Correct but try walking a mile in cheap shoes. You feet will be covered all right, with blisters. Cheap shoes don't last either.
Cheap cars and expensive cars both get you to work.
Sure but the cheap car will not get you the girls. If you can't afford a nice car at least rent one for an important date. Cheap cars can be plagued with mechanical problems and can be unsafe. They don't last either. Back to cheap vs. inexpensive.
Cheap dinner and expensive dinner both fill you up.
Yeah but get the antacid ready to counter the cheap meal and maybe extra toilet paper for the next day. Taco Bell?
Cheap booze and expensive booze both get you drunk.
Correct and no arguments on that one. Same hangover either way. However the Crown Royal bags make great stash containers.
Cheap razors and expensive razors both shave.
Cheap razors shave but the quality of the shave often suffers.
If we're honest with ourselves, we rarely make purchases for strictly utilitarian purposes.
Boom! The meat of the issue right there. If we only desire a good shave on the cheap we could stick with a cart and would probably not be participating in this thread.
We buy story, we buy heritage, we buy a feeling, and we buy items that reflect back to us who we want to be.
+1

The 34G is tempting me, too. A 37G even moreso even if they’re mostly imaginary. IIRC, @Dave-the-rave has a 34G that looks brand new after several years of use.

Yeah, but a BBS shave from a B52 bomber might be several city blocks’ too close.

I sold it after years of use for half what I payed for it. It still looked brand new and the buyer was delighted.
The quality of the plating makes them worth the extra cost over the 34C. I regretted selling it but I fell into a SS hole at the time.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Well, you made someone’s daily routine that much more luxurious and softened your own cost in the stainless rabbit hole, so there’s that and your experiences with the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 and Mühle Rocca were opposite of what I expected, so there’s that, too

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not dizzy yet so let's go around again:

Maybe so but the cheap watch may stop working at any moment and may not give accurate time, plus there is no pride of ownership in a cheap watch.

Correct but try walking a mile in cheap shoes. You feet will be covered all right, with blisters. Cheap shoes don't last either.

Sure but the cheap car will not get you the girls. If you can't afford a nice car at least rent one for an important date. Cheap cars can be plagued with mechanical problems and can be unsafe. They don't last either. Back to cheap vs. inexpensive.

Yeah but get the antacid ready to counter the cheap meal and maybe extra toilet paper for the next day. Taco Bell?

Correct and no arguments on that one. Same hangover either way. However the Crown Royal bags make great stash containers.

Cheap razors shave but the quality of the shave often suffers.

Boom! The meat of the issue right there. If we only desire a good shave on the cheap we could stick with a cart and would probably not be participating in this thread.

+1

I thought we were saving money wet shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom