What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

I have all 3 plates for the Timeless in 68 (Ti ones) still want to get the 95 straight and see what I think and the slim
BUT I am seeing where a dual comb could be the ultimate setup as that Variable with just a flip !

the GC 68 is a great razor (why I want to get the 84 and lupos which have that dual plate also ! the RR are incredible for the money)

I do think with the timeless Ti handle the one that curves in forgot name ? Is a huge update in feel over stock heavy RR handles BUT I like lighter handles
so if you get a Ti Timeless the handles of course work great with the GC lightens the GC perfectly for me makes it a whole new razor I think

My two fav razors are the Timeless with comb and the GC 68 but I have many more to try :) hahahaahha

timeless has a return policy ? But you can also resell at some point or trade ?
Yeah the Timeless return policy is great and I could always sell it... You convinced me to purchase it before the year is out... Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with the Timeless and Game Changer :)

Let's face it, compared to the craftsmanship and design of some vintage stuff even the high priced nowadays models can't compete
16382648463508673841436428528906.jpg
16382648758425592715039288868282.jpg
16382649073001618253107213827294.jpg

Let's face it, compared to the craftsmanship and design of some vintage stuff even the high priced nowadays models can't compete

I'll grant you that ingenuity and innovation in shaving hardware is far less common today than in the past. Design is a little more subjective, though.

And craftsmanship, well that really depends who you look at. The very high quality razors of today can compete favorably with pretty much anything vintage in terms of craftsmanship/build quality. Even the more mass-produced razors, when compared to their vintage counterparts, stand up well. Not even the cheapest of modern DE razors suffer from handle cracks, as an example. (I know they have their own problems, it's just an example)

I've been using DE razor since June of 2019 & lately the razors I mainly use are Zamak. A Merkur 33C, 34C & just recently bought the 30C. Have yet to find a blade they don't like & I can't complain about the shaves. I love my Merkurs & I'm tempted to add a Progress or a 34G down the road. My most expensive razor which is cheap compared to other razors used on this forum only cost me around $65. Although I have a couple of different plates for my RR GC .68/.84/.68OC. But I just don't used it as much.

Although I find it funny how in an older thread I was called a "material snob" for daring to say Stainless Steel razors will outlast Zamack razors. I have always mainly use Zamack razors. But in this hobby YMMV.

Yes in theory there new razors could outperform the vintage ones, becaus of better machinery, but in reality the opposite is true, because most msnufacturers try to produce as cheap as possible. Some of the new ones look like an apprentice tried to machine one for the first time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes in theory there new razors could outperform the vintage ones, becaus of better machinery, but in reality the opposite is true, because most msnufacturers try to produce as cheap as possible. Some of the new ones look like an apprentice tried to machine one for the first time.

I'm curious. Which modern razors look like an apprentice tried his hand for the first time?

Happy shaves,

Jim

To the OP - if you are enjoying your shaves then it probably won't be worth it from the "quality of the shave perspective." However, there is a construction/finishing/materials perspective that you may enjoy as well. Some people also just enjoy trying new things.

If you are looking for something specific that your current razor is not doing for you, then yes, there are a lot of razors that shave differently and can probably provide that for you...whether it be a more comfortable shave, the ability to finally be able to shave ATG successfully, a longer lasting bbs, etc. That very well be worth the price of admission for you. However, you have to be willing to put up with duds as well in your pursuit for it.

Good thread. Plenty of honest opinion flavored with a dose of personal experience and a pinch of in your face bias tossed in for good measure.
I have to agree. I can appreciate vintage works but there is no comparison to modern materials or machining.
IMG_0655.png

For me it is all about finding collectible or unique shaving tools that are interesting, pleasing to the eye and comfortable to shave with. Moderns can have those qualities too so I am open to antique and modern. In the case of beauty, simple eye appeal, and value retention, nothing beats vintage razors. Sure moderns can look cool and iconic, but the mark was made a century ago and has not been surpassed imo.

I have a couple of nice moderns but with few exceptions their value will not appreciate over time as will a 118 year old Gillette Double Ring set which can be bought for less than some of the pricey modern examples. Antique collectible razors will always be worth it. If it is just a shave you are after, anything comfy and inexpensive will do. If you want shaving mojo, go for the gold.
IMG_0120.jpg

ps. Check out the beautiful patina on the razor and the wear on the ivory keys of the piano. History builds the mojo.

Last edited:
I don’t think choosing and buying a razor should have much to do with how expensive it is. Sure, you might decide you want a solid metal razor, or a particular metal type, which will affect the price, but otherwise differences like polishing, manufacturing tolerances, cosmetic design are probably secondary to how well the razor will perform for you when you shave.

It seems to me the actual shaving performance is more to do with the fundamental design of the razor, and it is worth trying to learn what kinds of razor designs suit you best. Do you get better results and face feel from a razor that has a large or small gap, higher or lower blade exposure, a tightly clamped blade, high blade curvature, a preferred shaving angle, a particular weight or weight distribution, low head profile, long handle, open comb, etc. All these design factors combine to make a razor perform a certain way. None of these things is really related to the price, but they are related to what suits your skin, hair type, frequency of shaving, shaving technique, and even the kind of soap you use.

If you do not get along with razors with a high gap or you like to ride the cap with a shallow shave angle, then you probably will not like a $1,000 Wolfman WR2 as much as a $50 razor that is designed differently. And, whatever it is that you do like, there are probably cheap, medium priced, and expensive razors that fit the bill. So you can still save money or you can still have something shiny if you want.

. . . Quality of shave is all about design and geometry, and that has no relationship to price or materials. Geometry that works for you is an individual thing, and you might just as well find your ideal geometry in an inexpensive razor as in a high dollar model. A higher price and better materials and workmanship do not by themselves assure a better shave.
+1.

A titanium copy of a Tech will shave like a Tech. The titanium copies may be more consistent. They may gleam in the bathroom lights, and their owners may take pride in their perfection. But they won't shave better, because they cost more.

. Charles

I've said it before, but since this exact same thread pops up routinely, I don't mind repeating it.

You can insert literally any other product in place of "razor" and you'll have the exact same conversation. Cheap watches and expensive watches both tell time. Cheap shoes and expensive shoes both cover your feet. Cheap cars and expensive cars both get you to work. Cheap dinner and expensive dinner both fill you up. Cheap booze and expensive booze both get you drunk. Cheap razors and expensive razors both shave.

If we're honest with ourselves, we rarely make purchases for strictly utilitarian purposes. We buy story, we buy heritage, we buy a feeling, and we buy items that reflect back to us who we want to be. Buy an expensive razor if it makes you happier and don't if it doesn't. You'll still get a good shave either way.

+1.

A titanium copy of a Tech will shave like a Tech. The titanium copies may be more consistent. They may gleam in the bathroom lights, and their owners may take pride in their perfection. But they won't shave better, because they cost more.

. Charles
Titanium certainly does have it's advantages. It's got more anti-corrosion properties than stainless steel, lighter weight for easier maneuverability, and a lot would agree that even comparatively with the exact same razor, it offers a smoother shave. The only disadvantage I see given these points would be cost.

I've said it before, but since this exact same thread pops up routinely, I don't mind repeating it.

You can insert literally any other product in place of "razor" and you'll have the exact same conversation. Cheap watches and expensive watches both tell time. Cheap shoes and expensive shoes both cover your feet. Cheap cars and expensive cars both get you to work. Cheap dinner and expensive dinner both fill you up. Cheap booze and expensive booze both get you drunk. Cheap razors and expensive razors both shave.

If we're honest with ourselves, we rarely make purchases for strictly utilitarian purposes. We buy story, we buy heritage, we buy a feeling, and we buy items that reflect back to us who we want to be. Buy an expensive razor if it makes you happier and don't if it doesn't. You'll still get a good shave either way.
I find that in the debate concepts get crossed. Cheap vs experience. Cheap is Cheap. Cheap isn't quality. To me. Now quality can be found inexpensively. Like vintage razors that survived. They survived cause they are quality.

That feeling you describe can be summed up as value. You can fund value in items priced at high and medium and even low cost at times.

Cheap to me mean something different. They are great to start, but why not just get something that will last and you will loge and be done with it,? That's value.

I find that in the debate concepts get crossed. Cheap vs experience. Cheap is Cheap. Cheap isn't quality. To me. Now quality can be found inexpensively. Like vintage razors that survived. They survived cause they are quality.

That feeling you describe can be summed up as value. You can fund value in items priced at high and medium and even low cost at times.

Cheap to me mean something different. They are great to start, but why not just get something that will last and you will loge and be done with it,? That's value.

The reason concepts get crossed is that they're subjective and ill-defined. A good value to one person could mean a product that does its job for as cheaply as possible. A cheap, low-quality razor that works okay and lasts a few years could be a good value. Value to another could mean something beautiful that makes them enjoy shaving more even if it's $500. It's not just about quality materials, longevity, or even performance. It's all subjective which is why these debates just spin in circles until we all throw up.

The reason concepts get crossed is that they're subjective and ill-defined. A good value to one person could mean a product that does its job for as cheaply as possible. A cheap, low-quality razor that works okay and lasts a few years could be a good value. Value to another could mean something beautiful that makes them enjoy shaving more even if it's $500. It's not just about quality materials, longevity, or even performance. It's all subjective which is why these debates just spin in circles until we all throw up.
This is a quality post, but where is my Era? :a30:

Also, I think we compare the most expensive materials for modern designs. There has been improvements in basic designs and just cause I had to buy stainless doesn't mean the aluminum isn't going to work equally well at 65 or 70. That's super value.

I loventhat stainless feel

Also, I think we compare the most expensive materials for modern designs. There has been improvements in basic designs and just cause I had to buy stainless doesn't mean the aluminum isn't going to work equally well at 65 or 70. That's super value.

I loventhat stainless feel
You know you can get a made in the USA stainless for less than $50 too?

Top Bottom