What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

I sold it after years of use for half what I payed for it. It still looked brand new and the buyer was delighted.
The quality of the plating makes them worth the extra cost over the 34C. I regretted selling it but I fell into a SS hole at the time.
Good to know.
Thanks.

I have bunch of expensive razors (Blackbirds, Wolfmans, Tatara etc) but the answer isn't very straight forward for me. Let me explain,

If someone's aim is to get a razor that can give them great shaves, I don't think there is any point of getting expensive razors. At least I wouldn't keep any expensive razors if I just wanted one or two razors that give me great shaves. A tech, red tip and a 34C would be all. Maybe just one of those 3. And that would be perfectly fine - many people even here does that (stick with one razor) and that is totally commendable.

But for me, shaving is a bit more than just a task - and I get immense joy from varying my razors (and razor type DE, SE, SR etc.). It is like fragrance - I could have just one or two, but I like having a small collection and pick one based on my mood.

Now, why expensive, why not satiate my curiosity with cheaper razors - I tried, but couldn't find such razors. The mild-mid aggressive razors in my collection are almost exclusively inexpensive ones and mostly vintage razors. I have tried mild/mid aggressive modern razors - while they are excellent, they don't provide me anything that vintage razors/cheaper razors can't. Now when it comes to aggressive/ultra aggressive razors (Blackbird (ti and ss), WR-2 1.55, WR-1 0.80, Nodachi etc) - I haven't found cheaper alternatives of those modern razors that works well enough for me. So I keep 5 expensive ($180+) modern razors in collection along with 30 or so relatively inexpensive vintage/mass produced razors.

If I ever want to become a one/two razor guy, those expensive ones will be gone first.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I haven't found cheaper alternatives of those modern razors that works well enough for me.

A Micromatic Open Comb or Clog Pruf will be aggressive if used wrong. Once the sound is loud, the stubble (and more, sometimes) will fly right off.

Well, to be honest with you (and myself) I have a thing for titanium.I have a couple of titanium watches, plus pens, I even have my keys on a titanium ring. I currently have some stainless razors, and have a titanium Henson coming, plus I’m on the list for a Yates.
I don’t have any problems with stainless razors, and if the titanium razors don’t pan out, I will be disappointed, but not devastated. If they do work out, I’ll either sell or gift the stainless ones, though I’ll probably keep one of them.
Jack

B-52 bombers are mostly made of aluminum and they are holding up pretty well after more than sixty years.
I'm sure they are. I've had a number of aluminum razors before including the AL13. I just didn't like the overall lightness and again, I don't trust aluminum as far as longevity of tolerances are concerned.

The one thing every wet shaving addict agrees on is that saving money in this hobby is the biggest lie and it's a myth to lure people in and by the time they realise the truth it would be too late.

I don't consider it a lie or a myth, personally. Even owning 4 stainless razors (two Traderes, a Weber, and now a Fendrihan), I'm still saving over what I would have spent on carts over the years. I very very rarely buy new razors though (the Fendrihan is the first in like 8 years), and same for brushes.

I don't consider it a lie or a myth, personally. Even owning 4 stainless razors (two Traderes, a Weber, and now a Fendrihan), I'm still saving over what I would have spent on carts over the years. I very very rarely buy new razors though (the Fendrihan is the first in like 8 years), and same for brushes.
I don’t think I can say the same, unfortunately.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was in the same exact place the OP is not so long ago. I was content with my RazoRock Lupo. I thought...nothing else can possibly give me a better shave. I had tried several expensive, $200+, razors...the Lupo bettered them. What could possibly give me a better, more comfortable shave than this razor? Well...there was one place I hadn't ventured...Wolfman. And...it did not disappoint. Yup, that's right...the WR2 felt just like my Lupo, but the shave was closer. It was closer and I didn't think it was possible...but it proved me wrong. I haven't written my Lupo off because it's so good...but I found a razor that was better.

And now...I think I'm done looking.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was in the same exact place the OP is not so long ago. I was content with my RazoRock Lupo. I thought...nothing else can possibly give me a better shave. I had tried several expensive, $200+, razors...the Lupo bettered them. What could possibly give me a better, more comfortable shave than this razor? Well...there was one place I hadn't ventured...Wolfman. And...it did not disappoint. Yup, that's right...the WR2 felt just like my Lupo, but the shave was closer. It was closer and I didn't think it was possible...but it proved me wrong. I haven't written my Lupo off because it's so good...but I found a razor that was better.

And now...I think I'm done looking.

Which Wolfman was the ticket?

Top Bottom