What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

So far, I have been content with the shaving performance of my Rockwell adjustable plate and RR Gamechanger. I realize that it could be a dangerous slippery slope, but I am thinking about trying some of the more expensive DE razors. My question is, what can I reasonably expect to get by entering the realm of $100+ razors - is it mainly better craftsmanship, detail, materials, aesthetics, or is there a significant improvement in cutting efficiency, smoothness, closer shave, etc? I would appreciate feed-back from those of you who have experience in this department. Thanks

You'll definitely get better craftsmanship, but you'll probably be disappointed if you expect expensive razors to give significantly better results than the cheaper ones. I've bought quite a few $100+ razors and sold them all because they weren't any better than my cheaper ones. In fact, the only three razors I still have cost $85 combined.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Depends on your objective. I like things that are durable and last a very long time. So for me it is worth having a stainless or titanium razor that will probably outlive me.

Shavewise there isn’t any difference in the same razor made from more expensive materials. For instance, Henson offers an aluminum model for a much lower price than their titanium model.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Some are pretty awesome, some premium designs don't exist in Zamac. In general you gain NOTHING from going from Zamac to Steel.

The price asked is often rather steep, and the gain minimal. You shouldn't do so because you want to improve your shave dramatically. It's more a collector and connoisseur thing. I haven't found an Apollo or Blackbird among <50 razors so far, though.

In general, I do buy these razors because it pleases me to do so. That's almost a quote from one of my favorite book series...! :)

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
About a year ago, I was in exactly the same place. I researched, identified the razors of interest, then bought wisely (BST, eBay, or waiting for manufacturer sales). I discovered the improved performance of expensive razors does not justify the price differential. Also, not every expensive razor works well for me. However, there’s a lot of satisfaction to using more expensive razors that are incredibly well designed and manufactured. I now have a few new favorites, and the rest I’ll sell at cost or gift. All told, it was a wise move for me.

My advice: research, make an acquisition plan, have patience in acquiring, and enjoy the journey.

566C14BC-5BA8-48F3-8BA3-5C7A7AF3A5F7.jpeg

I spent 2.5yrs with so many different razors that most people gushed about how the shave was the best ever and most were much less than $100 yet when I was suckered into purchasing one it always seemed that every shave was like a bloodbath and most blamed it on my technique!!

Fast forward to my 1st shave with the Titanium Timeless .95 that so many suggested for me and for 3yrs+ it was my only razors and every shave seemed to be a perfect 16-20hr BBS with no irritation, weepers, or any other drama... I never changed my technique at all or soap and blades, razor only and the shaves were outstanding!! Was it due to spending over $100, IDK, but I can say the shaves improved instantly!! I was sold at that moment and today I've added a Titanium Blackbird that I've come to accept shaves me even better so for those that get a great shave with their $15 dollar razors, good for you but they never worked for me and I'm so far past those and never looking back in pleasure... Haters are gonna hate and I just don't have time for that!!

Depends on your objective. I like things that are durable and last a very long time. So for me it is worth having a stainless or titanium razor that will probably outlive me.

Shavewise there isn’t any difference in the same razor made from more expensive materials. For instance, Henson offers an aluminum model for a much lower price than their titanium model.
AFAIK the alu one is the original, not the other way around. Then they said "why not upping the ante", since the market for safety razors is at an all time high, and people are currently swallowing up anything. Not that there's anything wrong in that.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Most of the good points have been already made above, my humble 2 cents mirrors some .. the expense won't guarantee a better shave, in fact the average joe will just say that about his expensive purchase to justify it .. but the reverse is true, skinflints will claim the tech they found outside the old outhouse shaves perfectly ..

I use old GEMS, Depression era Schicks, and a Wolfman along with several others. The high end stuff is impressive in workmanship & the cachet, but still I often catch a smile shave from one of the relics here. It is that old B&B mantra, but YMMV .. just make yourself happy & try another one to see

If you are a fan of beautiful hand crafted then yes they are superb toooo uh behold. Shaving is still the question and sometimes a cheap razor works better.

I still consider the oneblade genesis in stainless a superb razor in a gorgeous finish. And it shaved very good to boot. But in the end my 10usd snmirn and qshave get a lot more love and my 50usd Broman outshaved it

So in the end I sold it.

Would I want a stainless or brass snmirn…..hell yes!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I know that if I dropped more than $30 bucks on a razor I'd tell myself that it was my best one yet. Even if I was a bloody mess. Because I am cheap with a capital CH.

I like wasting money on olfactory sensations. But now at least I don't waste much money on them, because I have a general idea what I like to smell. And what I like to smell like, ha.

You can be perfectly happy with inexpensive vintage. You can also be perfectly happy in the modern razors that cost under $100. And finally, you can be perfectly happy with razors that cost more than $100. For me, there is a noticeable difference between vintage or inexpensive modern & modern costing over $100. There is an improvement in craftsmanship, but more importantly, there is an improved quality of shave. That improved shave is, again for me, a smoother more efficient shave. Good luck in your journey. Research & ask questions. But be prepared, ask 100 people & you'll get 100 different answers. Know your current razors well enough that you can identify what you like about each of them, & what you expect a good shave to be.

I am happy with vintage razors - including what I consider to be very good shaves. Skin so sensitive I don’t chase the perfect shave. So if I can use an old Gillette and get a good shave, diminishing returns to get a high end modern razor. But that’s just me. What makes this hobby interesting is the wide range of views and preferences.

Top Bottom