What's new

New Razor Recommendations

Greetings,

I'm looking into a new Razor. I currently have a Rockwell 6C which I find to be efficient enough on plate 5/6 but not quite aggressive enough for me to feel connected to the experience, and the SS Blackbird which I find borderline too aggressive (sort of??).

With the Blackbird I get much more feel but it is less efficient for me. I understand that everyone finds this razor to be one of the reigning kings of efficiency but for me it is less efficient than the Rockwell. I find it much more intuitive than the Rockwell, but I have to work harder for the same results if that makes sense. The added effort results in more irritation, or me pulling out the Rockwell to finish the job.

So I guess I'm looking for something in between: a high efficiency razor with more blade feel than the Rockwell and less than the BB.

Strangely, when I use the Rockwell I feel like I am shaving blind, once I get to the second pass I have to listen to make sure I am cutting hair... it is smooth to be sure, and efficient enough, but I want more feel. With the BB I have more feel than a man could wish for, but it just seems to skip over areas and so I have to buff a LOT. Maybe it is a blade chatter thing? I've read through this thread here: Blackbird blade chatter - https://damnfineshave.com/thread-blackbird-blade-chatter?page=7 and it seems to describe my experience to a "T", despite many jumping in to defend the BB as rigid enough for any man. Honestly, it feels like the blade is just singing and flying all over the place and getting caught on my wiry thick hair, at least on the second pass.

I'm thinking Tatara might be too expensive for me at the moment, but perhaps an Aylsworth Kopperkant Plus or Apex? RR Gamechanger or Lupo?

Any thoughts from more experienced gentlemen out there?

Thanks!

You're going to get a bunch of suggestions. My suggestion is the Timeless .95. IMHO it's as efficient as the BB but with less blade feel. And remember they have a scratch and dent section with lower prices and hardly a scratch or dent to be found.

It really comes down to a buy and try. You (we) are lucky here because you can scope one up in the buy and sell market place. Does not work, sell it..
There are a lot great mid to aggressive DE out there to choice from. We can not pick one for you. Only your hands and face can do that.
Good luck,
It takes time to find the best one that works for you..
BFX

The Blackbird with a steep angle should increase your efficiency. Other than that, the Lambda Ares or Athena will be perfect. If you want an adjustable the Rex Konsul is perfect but does require an experienced technique.

Maybe @nav will chime in with his technique using the Blackbird. He has that dense Indian beard growth and has mentioned he's very sensitive to blade chatter but the BB is currently his favorite razor.

I've grown to love the BB recently but it took me a while. I used to get a strange skipping sensation (not chatter) going ATG from under my jawline. I started trying a bullfrog (puffing out my cheek) while simultaneously skin stretching down from my upper neck. Works like a charm for me. The Bird has moved into Top 3 status and gives me super close shaves. For me, the BB is the textbook definition of efficiency.

Plenty of other razors that use clamping vs bend to get blade rigidity.
Lupo, Karve, Gamechanger, Wolfman, Salient, Blutt, etc.

A Lupo 95 might give you the feeling you're after as there's blade feel and it's a very intuitive razor. I don't get much blade feel from the Blackbird just to show you how our perceptions can vary. I find it smooth as butter compared to my Wolfman WR1 .74
You just have to find what works for you. I wouldn't give up on the BB prematurely though, I had real eureka moment with mine.

cheers

You're going to get a bunch of suggestions. My suggestion is the Timeless .95. IMHO it's as efficient as the BB but with less blade feel. And remember they have a scratch and dent section with lower prices and hardly a scratch or dent to be found.

Good one T……That Timeless .95 is as good as it gets my friend, (IMHO of course).😊👍🏻💈

I love the Timeless. If you decide to try it, I'd strongly recommend going with the open comb version, or at least getting a dual comb base plate with one side being oc.

I can't explain it, but the oc Timeless is much smoother than the sb or scalloped version. I use the oc even when I only have a day or two of growth. It's my daily shaver. Ymmv.

It doesn't hurt that they have a 30 day trial period. If you don't like the razor you can return it for a refund.

Maybe @nav will chime in with his technique using the Blackbird. He has that dense Indian beard growth and has mentioned he's very sensitive to blade chatter but the BB is currently his favorite razor.

I've grown to love the BB recently but it took me a while. I used to get a strange skipping sensation (not chatter) going ATG from under my jawline. I started trying a bullfrog (puffing out my cheek) while simultaneously skin stretching down from my upper neck. Works like a charm for me. The Bird has moved into Top 3 status and gives me super close shaves. For me, the BB is the textbook definition of efficiency.

Plenty of other razors that use clamping vs bend to get blade rigidity.
Lupo, Karve, Gamechanger, Wolfman, Salient, Blutt, etc.

A Lupo 95 might give you the feeling you're after as there's blade feel and it's a very intuitive razor. I don't get much blade feel from the Blackbird just to show you how our perceptions can vary. I find it smooth as butter compared to my Wolfman WR1 .74
You just have to find what works for you. I wouldn't give up on the BB prematurely though, I had real eureka moment with mine.

cheers
Thanks for your reply. I hope you are right as I'd love to make it work. First pass, going WTG it feels like a vacuum cleaner. I just struggle going the other way. I do understand the skipping sensation you are talking about, and I do get some tugging and pulling, which can be mitigated somewhat by blade choice, but then I can easily get into nick territory.

They say 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong, and I am certainly the outlier here in my experience. I'm glad to hear it took you a while to click with the BB, that makes me feel like there is still hope for me and my bird too!

Thanks!

They say 50 million Elvis fans can't be wrong, and I am certainly the outlier here in my experience. I'm glad to hear it took you a while to click with the BB, that makes me feel like there is still hope for me and my bird too!

Haha, yes but those are the fans.
I hope the BB will work for you but in the end, it's just a razor. Fortunately, it's easy to resell due to popularity.

Your choices are far more numerous than they were a mere ten years ago when I jumped in. Back then the choices were vintage and only a few modern zamack and CNC stainless razors. Now your choices on both are almost endless. If the BB ends up not being a good fit for you, I feel confident that you'll eventually find your grail... or two or three. 😉
Enjoy the journey.

Wouldn't the BB Lite plate be also an option? Reduced blade feel and still more economical than getting a completly new razor.
Could be but it really isn't the blade feel that is the problem for me. I just don't find the razor to be very efficient gong ATG.

For example, I get the results I am looking for consistently, and with minimal fuss, with the Rockwell... I just have to rely on muscle memory, audible feedback and faith to get me there. So in essence I really don't have an issue with that razor at all in terms of the results (on plate 5/6) I'm just left wanting more feel.

With the BB I get all the feel I could possibly want, and I enjoy the feeling. The problem I'm having is that once I'm on my second pass, going ATG, I find the razor less effective, despite feeling more aggressive. As a result I find I'm doing more work and feeling more skipping, pulling, biting, chattering as I chase that BBS.

So it may not be the razor for me, or, as others have suggested, I may not have figured it out yet.

Going back to the Rockwell at this point is a jarring experience, where I once longed for more feel, I go back now and can't feel anything at all: it's like a ghost shave... I can totally understand why people love that razor, but it's just too mild for me... It certainly gets the job done though.

After some of the comments here I'm hopefull the BB will start to click.

Does this make sense? I think if I were to get the BB lite plate I'd just be giving up some feel, but I can't imagine it is more efficient than the regular plate?

Sorry for the long winded answer, I should probably just work on my technique! =)

Haha, yes but those are the fans.
I hope the BB will work for you but in the end, it's just a razor. Fortunately, it's easy to resell due to popularity.

Your choices are far more numerous than they were a mere ten years ago when I jumped in. Back then the choices were vintage and only a few modern zamack and CNC stainless razors. Now your choices on both are almost endless. If the BB ends up not being a good fit for you, I feel confident that you'll eventually find your grail... or two or three. 😉
Enjoy the journey.
Thank you!

Choice paralysis is real. I'm thinking Ayslworth Apex or Lupo .95 next. I'm going to hang on the BB for a while longer, but it certainly hasn't been love at first shave.

I have to say, I love all you razor-heads... At first I was thinking to myself "nope, not gonna get sucked in to this, I need this money for fishing gear"...

Yet, here I am, starting a new journey....

...don't even get me started on the soaps. LOL

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Here’s what helped transform the Blackbird into my best-shaving DE:

I also use a shallow angle with the BB and find it super smooth!
I don't get a ton of blade feel from it.

Best part is the combo of efficiency whilst caring for my inflammation prone skin.
It's really just the most amazing razor in every way possible!

Edit:
I should mention the BB is not a "ride the cap" razor, like karve is tatara.

It's just that it needs a few degrees above riding the bar.

Top Bottom