What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am happy with vintage razors - including what I consider to be very good shaves. Skin so sensitive I don’t chase the perfect shave. So if I can use an old Gillette and get a good shave, diminishing returns to get a high end modern razor. But that’s just me. What makes this hobby interesting is the wide range of views and preferences.
I like thinking about the fact that I have a 100+ year old razor in my hand, and who may have used it before me...and pray that they didn't have mad cow because I don't own an autoclave!

Wait.....does an autoclave kill prions? Where is @Owen Bawn when you need him? Or @shavefan ?

You get those two branes together and you got Einstein!

Or Igor and Dr Frankenstein?

One of those choices....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So far, I have been content with the shaving performance of my Rockwell adjustable plate and RR Gamechanger. I realize that it could be a dangerous slippery slope, but I am thinking about trying some of the more expensive DE razors. My question is, what can I reasonably expect to get by entering the realm of $100+ razors - is it mainly better craftsmanship, detail, materials, aesthetics, or is there a significant improvement in cutting efficiency, smoothness, closer shave, etc? I would appreciate feed-back from those of you who have experience in this department. Thanks

It depends.

Don't count on getting a better shave with a more expensive razor, but you might.

WolfmanWR2 Razors.1.15 & 1.35.640.Side..JPG

⬅️ Good razors ➡️

⬅️ Very expensive, WR2

SLOC, very cheap ➡️
RR.SLOC.640.5-18.JPG

Much depends on your whiskers, your skin, your technique - in this YMMV world - and in having some idea what works for you and what doesn't and what you're buying with that extra money.

Not to pick on any particular razor, but just to use a good one as an illustration, consider the reviews of the Rex Ambassador, a stainless steel adjustable razor which goes for about $250. Most everyone says it's very well made. Some say it looks perfectly beautiful. Some, not so lovely looking. Many gentlemen love the shave, but some don't. For some it's mild and smooth. For others it is harsh and aggressive.

Even worse, you can buy an expensive razor and not like it. Later, assuming you keep the razor, you might find that you love it. The razor didn't change. You improved as a shaver.

You have to consider how much you value the "better" metals and "better" looking razors, too. A cheap Zamac razor won't be likely to last 100 years but it will shave just as well as a titanium jewelry razor assuming the geometry is the same. It might be a better shaving razor for you with your whiskers and skin.

FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG
The Great FOCS!
Not expensive.​
10-19-18.E-2.Kit.640.JPG
The Top Tier E2.
Not expensive, but hard to find.​
Krona.640.6-18-18.JPG
A Great Shaving Schick.
$10 including shipping. I got lucky on eBay.​
11-19-21.Denali.Adjustable.640.JPG
$200. Worth Every Penny.​
11-23-20.Executive.SuperAdjustable109.Fatboy.640.JPG
Vintage Prices Vary Widely. One Was A Gift.​

You may or may not like the razors I like. What works great for you might not work for me.

It's simply not true that spending more money will always improve your shaves or even your shaving experience, but it might. Most of my favorite modern razors cost more than the average price for my razors. However, some of my favorite vintage and modern razors cost less than average. It can go either way.

I'm pretty sure none of what I wrote is helpful, but hope some is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It depends.

Don't count on getting a better shave with a more expensive razor, but you might.

View attachment 1368789
⬅️ Good razors ➡️

⬅️ Very expensive, WR2

SLOC, very cheap ➡️
View attachment 1368791

Much depends on your whiskers, your skin, your technique - in this YMMV world - and in having some idea what works for you and what doesn't and what you're buying with that extra money.

Not to pick on any particular razor, but just to use a good one as an illustration, consider the reviews of the Rex Ambassador, a stainless steel adjustable razor which goes for about $250. Most everyone says it's very well made. Some say it looks perfectly beautiful. Some, not so lovely looking. Many gentlemen love the shave, but some don't. For some it's mild and smooth. For others it is harsh and aggressive.

Even worse, you can buy an expensive razor and not like it. Later, assuming you keep the razor, you might find that you love it. The razor didn't change. You improved as a shaver.

You have to consider how much you value the "better" metals and "better" looking razors, too. A cheap Zamac razor won't be likely to last 100 years but it will shave just as well as a titanium jewelry razor assuming the geometry is the same. It might be a better shaving razor for you with your whiskers and skin.

View attachment 1368796The Great FOCS!
Not expensive.​
View attachment 1368797The Top Tier E2.
Not expensive, but hard to find.​
View attachment 1368798A Great Shaving Schick.
$10 including shipping. I got lucky on eBay.​
View attachment 1368800$200. Worth Every Penny.​
View attachment 1368802Vintage Prices Vary Widely. One Was A Gift.​

You may or may not like the razors I like. What works great for you might not work for me.

It's simply not true that spending more money will always improve your shaves or even your shaving experience, but it might. Most of my favorite modern razors cost more than the average price for my razors. However, some of my favorite vintage and modern razors cost less than average. It can go either way.

I'm pretty sure none of what I wrote is helpful, but hope some is.

Happy shaves,

Jim
No, that was VERY helpful.

I am basically a lazy shaver. I decide on a razor, put a blade in it, then I can go with that one for quite a few shaves.... because I don't want to have to decide on another setup. Lazy.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like thinking about the fact that I have a 100+ year old razor in my hand, and who may have used it before me...and pray that they didn't have mad cow because I don't own an autoclave!

Wait.....does an autoclave kill prions? Where is @Owen Bawn when you need him? Or @shavefan ?

One of those choices....
I thought you were a nurse? The only thing I know about an autoclave is from a M*A*S*H episode in which the autoclave explodes in the O.R., and Klinger pushes Major Charles Emerson Winchester III out of the way just in time. For saving his life, Charles declares he is fully indebted to Maxwell Klinger and becomes his personal assistant. But after several days of bowing to Klinger's every command, Charles begins to wish he HAD been killed.

That's all I know.

One of those choices....
Uh...no. But it will irritate them a bit, and when they get pissed off they make mistakes....:a16:

Neither the price nor the materials make the shave inherently better. Often (but not always) the expensive stainless steel razors are crafted to designs and tolerances that surpass lower priced razors, and that can benefit the shaving experience. But it will always be YMMV.

On your face a Wolfman might not shave any better than a EJ89, but as long as it's not a worse shave, you might get a lot more satisfaction and pride in owning the Wolfman.

Or you might get lucky like I did and buy a high end stainless razor that just outshines everything else you have.

One thing you can be assured of is that high end stainless razors hold their value well. If you don't like one, you can sell it on the BST and get most of your money back.

lasta

Blade Biter
Prettier looking blade holders makes you feel prettier inside.

I'm on the hunt for a pretty Gillette Bostonian.

But I'm not expecting better results than a $2 plastic handle Chinese Tech.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Everything has been pretty much covered - better workmanship, supporting small craftsmen, a variety of very durable materials, and a shave that may or not be "it" for you but may be, just as such a shave might also be obtained through a less expensive razor. Also, as we all know, lumping them all into one category overlooks the fact that they are each different from most other razors. So deciding to explore higher end razors necessitates a whole new level of research to find the ones that fit your desired parameters. I wanted, for example, a heavy, mild, efficient razor with a thinnish head, classic grippy handle, and the option of changing plates. Figure out your criteria and let the search commence. Heck, post your criteria in a new thread and maybe someone will make the perfect recommendation.

You can't buy personal technique. The razor of choice is the one you get the best results from. It depends on blades, lather and technique. A fine made razor is a piece of art, just like a fine wristwatch from JLC or Parmigiani. My razor of choice is the Rockwell 6S that simply gives me close shaves while being non irritating, but there are razors like my beloved Henckels Rapide or Emir that are a little dangerous to use and make shaving a little bit thrilling fun.

My experience and why I revamped my razors. I have been wet shaving for over 15 years, including deployments and in the field. My zamac razors have all deteriorated over time. Threads stripped, plating comes off, metal disintegrates ( for lack of a better term). So I decided to spend a bit more on replacements. Brass, aluminum, and stainless steel.

I got a good run of about a decade from my zamac razors in challenging conditions. No complaints but I wanted a replacement with longer-term durability. I am sure someone will say my zamac razors should have lasted decades more if I treated them better and they might be right. But that isn't reality.

YMMV for sure! The main thing IMO is to understand what you are looking before you make a purchase.

With some more expensive razors, such as Wolfman, you get to specify details such as blade gap, head design, handle, etc. Whether this is worth your $ is the question.

I appreciate fine workmanship. It gives me pleasure to regard a well-crafted instrument. I hope one day to acquire a Wolfman razor. Considering my skill level, it’s very doubtful it will give me a superior shave, but I will enjoy it nevertheless. A thing of beauty is a joy forever, as the poet wrote.
Jack

I think it all comes down to what you consider expensive and how much you care about having a better made product. For instance, I think any brass or stainless steel razor is a much better option than a razor made from zamak. The Merkur Progress is my only zamak DE razor in my collection, since it was proven to be a very good shaver and i've got it very cheap, so regardless if it breaks any time soon, i'm going to keep it. It also depends on if you're a collector and want to have 5-10 or more razors in your collection or just 1 or 2. I'm pretty much done with buying modern razors, since i've found what works for me, but i'm still interested in getting some vintage models out of curiosity and mostly to have them in my collection.

Having started the hobby looking to save money and doing a proof of concept with Vander hagen vs expensive in both soaps and razors.
I do see the value. The quality of shave has improved as much from VDH to feather and PAA as it did from old cartiges to VDH.

Certainly I am known for purchase regret, but I am glad I just bought expensive. I think feather is perfect, but in research I would also go with Windsor from above the tie.
I think OP should do it. It's worth it.

I’ve got razors ranging from $5 to $200. I like them for different reasons, but I’d be lying if I said a more expensive razor gives a better shave. There is truth to finding a razor where the blade gap and shaving angle match your beard, skin, and technique. But that combination can be found in any price point.

Expensive razors are generally small batch, hand polished, prettier, etc. But my favorite DE is the Razorock Mamba 70–it gives a great shave with just about any blade and it’s stainless steel so should last my lifetime. I think it was $65. I still rotate my more expensive razors and enjoy them, but in a rush when I just want a quick, reliable, no fuss shave I’ll pick up the Mamba every time.

TL;DR. There seems little correlation between price and performance.

[...] I have been content [...]

But are you? The questions suggests an eagerness to find out if you can do better than this content.

No matter the many folks who find there best performer to be expensive, there seems to be little correlation between price and performance.

Given the level of R&D, competition, and availability of quality engineers, craftsman and materials working in this space that had occurred by the time patents ran out circa ~1930, it's not surprising that present competition is on different terrain than performance.

I think it depends what is being compared. Cheap is cheap and doesn't compare to quality.
A $15 dollar razor won't compare to a $150, but it also won't compare to a $55 either.

Is there a significant difference between 75 and $200 probably not, but their is between 20 and $75 I bet.

Its easier to learn technique when the blade is held properly and securely.

Top Bottom