What's new

Pay-off for more expensive razors?

This is why we have horse races. Give me decent odds and I'll bet on the performance of the cheap one every time.

For many there is a lot more to enjoying the tool than singly focusing on its delivery on its promise of a good shave, so much so, that those other things are inseparable from delivery of a good shave, I think.

Agreed if you are talking about shave comfort or efficiency. A cheap antique can feel as good as a new big bux razor. Does that stop me from buying one? Nope. Check out this beauty:
IMG_2030.jpeg

Performs as good as it looks but I can also get a great shave from this inexpensive vintage Gillette:
Tattooed Gillette Tech - Dragon 2f.JPG

Go fast and get places with a Nissan, why buy a Maserati? Because we can. :)

Agreed if you are talking about shave comfort or efficiency. A cheap antique can feel as good as a new big bux razor. Does that stop me from buying one? Nope. Check out this beauty:
View attachment 1369103
Performs as good as it looks but I can also get a great shave from this inexpensive vintage Gillette:
View attachment 1369111
Go fast and get places with a Nissan, why buy a Maserati? Because we can. :)
What is that first razor? I love the handle and the head looks unique.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Three.OldType.Razors.640.5-29-18JPG.JPG

A good Gillette Old Type on a handle borrowed from a Fat Handled Tech is hard to beat.
  1. Shaves great.
  2. Feels mild.
  3. Unlikely to cut you.
  4. Inexpensive.
  5. Easily found on eBay. (But make sure the teeth are straight.)
  6. All metal. (Brass.)
  7. Perhaps the best Gillette ever made.

OldType.FatHandle.1st.640.5-22-18.MdC.JPG

Better than the Rocnel Sailor? That's your call.

(You can have 'em all.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've bought $100+ razors. They looked gorgeous, but I sold them at a loss. I somehow always wound up coming back to the 34G that I bought a dozen years ago. If you have a DE, that's comfortable in your hand, sometimes all that's needed to make it better is just a blade change.

I've bought $100+ razors. They looked gorgeous, but I sold them at a loss. I somehow always wound up coming back to the 34G that I bought a dozen years ago. If you have a DE, that's comfortable in your hand, sometimes all that's needed to make it better is just a blade change.
Was just going to say the same thing. If you Iike your razor, sometimes a blade change could be your best move. Apples to Oranges, I was using a VDH for awhile, but not close enough shaves, no matter what blade I put in it, including Feathers. Got a Parker 91R, and boom!! I have found my everyday razor, still looking for the best blade combo, but the shaves so far have been very efficient, which is what I was looking for, with no irritation. Blades are cheaper than razors...

As far as shaving results are concerned, I don't think you're going to get a huge difference in performance. The R89 etc are excellent razors which don't cost that much. However, I have a Tatara OC which gives wonderful shaves and costs considerably more. I am getting the Henson Ti Aggressive which is also more expensive and which will not give a better shave than the AL13 but I just don't trust aluminum to last as well. So it's personal and a result of experimentation.

Better materials,.better craftsmanship and better shaves. ...
+1 on the Feather. Use it most every day unless I'm bored ...
I am happy with vintage razors - including what I consider to be very good shaves. Skin so sensitive I don’t chase the perfect shave. So if I can use an old Gillette and get a good shave,...
... and then I pull out a vintage Schick or Gillette model.
You can't buy personal technique. The razor of choice is the one you get the best results from. It depends on blades, lather and technique.

If you have a DE, that's comfortable in your hand, sometimes all that's needed to make it better is just a blade change.
Indeed!

the only thing is that you are happy and enjoy it

I am not into vintage but I can totally see why folks get into them ! I love the nostalgia of DE shaving more than the shavers themself and that is part of the appeal to me

to me the gamechanger 68 is just as good end result as the the timeless but the timeless is so much nicer looking and during the shave I find it gives superior feedback sound feel everything its just WOW

I am still wanting to try other high end like wolfman and mid/low like the Lupo to me its about finding MY razor that I like and for something I use daily for life a few hundred bucks is nothing in the long run
I also use a iphone 6 still :) as I do not need a $1000 phone ever model or every other so priorities I reckon :)

Some folks can not hear the difference of a $1000 piano vs a $100,000 piano some can only afford say $10k so they are happy
just because someone can not hear the difference does not mean its not there BUT that value is only in those that can hear or enjoy it or think its worth it and yeah some put a 100k piano in a house but cant play ? Go figure :) and so on
a pianist I am sure will choose the one they love based on loving it for what they do etc... more than the price or the model !

me I want to find one maybe two razors that I think are perfect for me wont be a collector as I tend to use one or two things I love in everything I do

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This will be extremely subjective. I'm on a mission to find a razor or two that gives me the ultimate shave. I currently have two razors that fulfill that...one is an expensive razor...the other isn't. Go figure! LOL!

Funny you mention the Game Changer .68; I have it in open and closed comb. It's a great razor but I'm eyeing the Timeless titanium, duel comb .68 razor. It has a great reputation and I'd like a lighter razor than the GC but I'm hung up on the price - around $300.00 all in...

In the last 9 years that I've called shaving a hobby, sort of, I've used all types of razors. From low cost vintage razors to high end modern ones. I found it is possible to get a great shave from any type of razor. Find one that works best for you and stick with it. Price is not really a factor. My current favorite is an ATT Windsor Pro aluminum that cost $54.00. Worth it.

Funny you mention the Game Changer .68; I have it in open and closed comb. It's a great razor but I'm eyeing the Timeless titanium, duel comb .68 razor. It has a great reputation and I'd like a lighter razor than the GC but I'm hung up on the price - around $300.00 all in...
I have all 3 plates for the Timeless in 68 (Ti ones) still want to get the 95 straight and see what I think and the slim
BUT I am seeing where a dual comb could be the ultimate setup as that Variable with just a flip !

the GC 68 is a great razor (why I want to get the 84 and lupos which have that dual plate also ! the RR are incredible for the money)

I do think with the timeless Ti handle the one that curves in forgot name ? Is a huge update in feel over stock heavy RR handles BUT I like lighter handles
so if you get a Ti Timeless the handles of course work great with the GC lightens the GC perfectly for me makes it a whole new razor I think

My two fav razors are the Timeless with comb and the GC 68 but I have many more to try :) hahahaahha

timeless has a return policy ? But you can also resell at some point or trade ?

Payoff for more expensive razors: You can admire them up close and personal. Many of the antiques are stunningly beautiful, highly collectible, as well as excellent shavers. These examples are reasonably priced compared to moderns like the Wolfman, Rocnel, etc. You could buy 2 or 3 nice Gillette ABC sets for the price of one Rocnel Sailor or a basic polish Wolfman setup.
100_5498.JPG

100_5505.JPG
100_7073.JPG
100_7072.JPG
100_5467.JPG

100_5364.JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Payoff for more expensive razors: You can admire them up close and personal. Many of the antiques are stunningly beautiful, highly collectible, as well as excellent shavers. These examples are reasonably priced compared to moderns like the Wolfman, Rocnel, etc. You could buy 2 or 3 nice Gillette ABC sets for the price of one Rocnel Sailor or a basic polish Wolfman setup.
View attachment 1369845
View attachment 1369846View attachment 1369854View attachment 1369853View attachment 1369844
View attachment 1369855
Oh! My brother! This news is not at all helpful for those of us who are weak for antique Gillette stuff....

But in the Spirit of the season, I forgive you!

is it mainly better craftsmanship, detail, materials, aesthetics,
The answer to this is most assuredly yes. You will get all of the above, so if the appreciation of finely made tools as functional objects floats your boat, then the high dollar razors are in your wheelhouse.
or is there a significant improvement in cutting efficiency, smoothness, closer shave, etc?
There could be, but not necessarily; it depends on the razor and whether its particular design works for you. Quality of shave is all about design and geometry, and that has no relationship to price or materials. Geometry that works for you is an individual thing, and you might just as well find your ideal geometry in an inexpensive razor as in a high dollar model. A higher price and better materials and workmanship do not by themselves assure a better shave.

Top Bottom