What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Schick Blade #3, Shave 16- The only word for today as to the blade was- tuggy; it was a great run; the blade has now been retired having given me the longest run of any blade in recent memory! My two-pass shave today was about an 8/10:

Shave recap:
Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Schick Krona SS- vintage (16)- now retired
Lather: Arko stick
Brush: Omega 10108 boar- a very good low-cost option, but not as nice for me as the Omega Jade or the Zenith 506 unbleached
Post: rinse, then a little Lucky Tiger to hopefully prevent a post-shave itchy neck

Have some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20220802_154818282.jpg

Schick Blade #2 Shave #31
Tools: SCS Model A Razor, DSC brush & Mogno Bar soap.:w00t:
Got a nice smooth three pass shave this A.M. plus touchup.
The Mogno Bar soap gave me plenty of slick protection & the glide was fantastic & tamed the SCS Razor quite a lot.
Looks like the Schick blade is in for more shaves than I thought.:thumbup1:

Schick Blade #4, Shave #3

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

One of the better shaves that I have had in some time. I've been alternating lately between Proraso Green, Palmolive, and either of these with a dab of Cremo. After much experimentation, my preference is Proraso Green by itself. I rarely, if ever, get nicks or weepers when using Proraso Green. But I often do get a small weeper or two using the same equipment but instead of Proraso Green using Palmolive Classic, and honestly, I don't know why. I supposed it could be that I just tend to know how to lather Proraso Green the way that I like it. The whole point is to say that today was a very nice, nick-free, weeper-free, irritation-free, drama-free, excellent post-shave feel shave. I'd give it a 9/10.

Schick Blade #3, Shave 16- The only word for today as to the blade was- tuggy; it was a great run; the blade has now been retired having given me the longest run of any blade in recent memory! My two-pass shave today was about an 8/10:

Shave recap:
Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Schick Krona SS- vintage (16)- now retired
Lather: Arko stick
Brush: Omega 10108 boar- a very good low-cost option, but not as nice for me as the Omega Jade or the Zenith 506 unbleached
Post: rinse, then a little Lucky Tiger to hopefully prevent a post-shave itchy neck

Have some wonderful shaves!
How do you like the Maxwell June? It looks interesting.

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No. 15

Razor: Edwin Jagger DES 89K Kelvin
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
Soap: Palmolive Classic Cream (Not Shown)
IMG_20220704_213019911.jpg

Another absolutely unremarkable but remarkable shave with the Schick today.

That is the price of using a blade, a razor or whatever that shows absolutely rock solid dependability. You start taking it for granted.

3 passes on a 2 day growth, although I was basically finished on the 2nd. I must stop doing the 3rd pass. It is often unnecessary now I am finding as my technique improves.

I'm really fond of the DE89, especially in this configuration. It performs quite similarly to my 40's Super Speed and gives a similar result, maybe a little more efficient. I know some Gents find it ineffective for their needs, but it suits me fine. Others do indeed love it and use it throughout their DE careers.

Paired with this blade, it gives a great result.

I am still not noticing any loss in edge or performance. Smoothness is still increasing. I will continue.

As I have 1 unused Schick blade left, I may be the last contributor to this thread, still posting and stating the now obvious into the far future, that this is a blade that belongs to the ages, almost shockingly good for a vintage.

BBS. Lovely smooth result.

Last edited:
Blade #2 - Shave #9
20220804_084206-01.jpeg

Today's shave was nice, efficient and easy, BBS without nicks. I did my regular two pass routine, but no touchups (yesterday's shave was a close one 😉 ).
I only needed a few strokes to get used again to the lighter weight of the Ti'Bird. She's a great shaver, the Schick (9) was an excellent pairing for her.

Schick Krona-coated blade two, Shave #29

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons tulip 3 super
Soap: Haslinger’s sage
Splash: Speick

Comment: Slowing down a bit (8/10) after 29 (count them) shaves! Still good for at least one more. :a29::a29:

Schick Krona-coated blade two, Shave #30 (And done)

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons duke 2 best
Soap: MWF
Splash: Proraso red

Comment: 8/10 today with enough ’tugging’ that I decided to bin this very fine blade!! Simply an EXCELLENT performance.

Next; I ‘need’ to return to a few of my usual ‘top-tier’ blades to reestablish my ‘baseline.’ This NOS blade was so good and long-lasting that it tilted my frame of reference!! :a29::a29:

Schick Blade #4, Shave #4

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Soap: Palmolive Classic with a dab of Cremo Cooling
Brush: Cheap badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Very nice shave today. No weepers, nicks, or irritation. I would give this a 9/10 (again).

Blade #1, shave 6
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/barberpole handle, Maggard's Timberwolf travel synthetic, La Toja shave stick

Gave the Timberwolf synthetic another try with La Toja tonight and it was the same result: could not build the lather, but the soap at least was still slick and performant enough for a good shave. It was just also really thin and runny, almost like I had way too much water, but this time I started with the brush nearly dry. Oh well, I simply wont use this brush with this soap in the future.

The blade continues to deliver in all the best ways. In the Lupo 95 OC, it's not quite magical, but it's close.

Next stop: Game Changer 84 OC!

Blade 1- shaves 27-28
Blade is getting more tuggy and not staying smooth quite as long. I’m still shaving twice a week, Monday and Thursday, but noticing I could shave earlier each week. Skin is definitely feeling AS more afterwards. Might have to drop in a new blade to reassess baseline and go from there. This was a phenomenal blade. Don’t know if it is tops for me but no worse than my top blade. I’ve maybe just pushed this one longer just because of it no longer being in production and I would hate to waste even one shave.

Top Bottom