What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #24 (48 Overall)

Associated gear:

Yates 921-M
Semogue 740HD Badger
Balea Shave Cream

My previous record with a single blade was 48 shaves with a German Wilkinson Sword.
Today's shave with the Schick was DFS after 3 passes, BBS after significant clean-up buffing.
No nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation, no drama of any kind.
It looks like the German Wilkie may have finally met its match. Tomorrow will be #49

One blade, Two blade edges, 20 razors, 48 shaves and counting.

TOBS Shaving Shop shaving cream, great "soapy" scent

WSP badger brush

Gillette Fatboy range from 5 to 9

Schick Super Stainless Krona Comfort Edge. Different from other pals that achieved maybe 30 shaves from this blade, this now in 5th shave is clearly beyond its useful life for me, dull and draggy. Had to be patient to achieve an acceptable shave with it.

Nivea Fresh Kick after shave balm, excellent as every Nivea.

Good shave in the end, 8

20220903_152116.jpg

Last edited:
Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #25 (49 Overall)

Associated gear:

Yates 921-M
Semogue 740HD Badger
Oleo Wayou shaving soap

My previous record with a single blade was 48 shaves with a German Wilkinson Sword.
Now broken, but I know I'll never catch up to @Demolition and @Mike M and their Excalibur brethren.

Today's shave with the Schick was DFS after 3 passes, BBS after significant clean-up buffing.
It's taking more work to catch that baby as I go along. I'll give up on this blade before long.
There are too many other shiny new toys competing for my attention.

One blade, Two blade edges, 20 razors, 49 shaves and counting.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #25 (49 Overall)

Associated gear:

Yates 921-M
Omega Jade Boar
Oleo Wayou shaving soap

Today's shave with the Schick was DFS after 3 passes, DFS after significant clean-up buffing. I just couldn't get a BBS out of it.

One blade, Two blade edges, 20 razors, 50 shaves and done.

Blade #1, shave 11
RazoRock Lupo 72 SB w/super knurl handle, Wee Scot, La Toja Shave Stick

Just a quick single pass socially acceptable shave this morning, on the way out to visit some family. Oddly, more blade feel than I recall having in the 95 OC. I'll have to try it again in both to see if that remains the case!

Blade #1, shave 12
RazoRock Lupo 72 SB w/super knurl handle, Wee Scot, Stirling Varen

No issue with excessive blade feel like I had last shave, so I'm going to chalk that up to unwittingly cutting corners on a rushed shave. On the contrary, it was a truly comfortable shave. Three passes and no need for touch ups. Gotta love a Lupo shave!

Blade #3 - Shave #5

20220916_085600-01-01.jpeg

Today I noticed for the first time some fading of the blade's sharpness, at least, I was under the impression of feeling it. Perhaps the combo of Lupo .95 SB and the blade just wasn’t perfect. But despite the small amount of tugginess, it's been a really nice and easy shave. :)

We shall see.
Onward to shave #6!

Last edited:
Blade #3 - Shave #6

20220917_122113-01.jpeg

Gentlemen!
Today, my journey with the Schick blade has ended. The sharpness of the blade still was sufficient enough to leave me with a non-irritated skin, however, it was obvious to me that I have come to a point where I'd put my skin at risk if I continued to shave with this blade. So I binned the final blade today.

I may take the opportunity to thank @Grundi, @Space_Cadet and (last but not least) @Alum Ladd for letting me participate in this event.

I really enjoyed the shaves with the Schick. Really, a good blade for me face!
Thanks again, guys!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Blade #1, shave 14
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/super knurl handle, Wee Scot, Canada Shave Soap

Two passes and a little no-lather touch up delivers yet another fantastic shave. Going to be a shame when my time with this combination ends. But end it must.

I will move on to the my second and final blade when I start my Tabactober run, and I'll end it on the 31st, to avoid dragging this great blade into the realm of degraded performance.

Blade #1, shave 15
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/super knurl handle, Wee Scot, Stirling Varen

Blade started to show a little loss of sharpness during this (still excellent) shave, so I've decided to bin it now, rather than ride it out for a couple more shaves. Still going to wait until the 1st to start on the second blade, and I think I'll do it in my Tradere OC to make it a tandem run of Tabactober and OCtober.

Blade #2, Shave 1
Tradere OC, Wee Scot, Tabac

I hesitate to label any one combination as "the perfect shave", but this combo makes a solid effort at the distinction. This blade is picking up the same high performance standard from the first blade. A couple passes under the guidance of Tabac and the shave is done. Were it still in production, This blade would undoubtedly be near the top of my favorites.

Blade #2, Shave 2

Loaded up the Wee Scot for an extra long time this shave so I'd have plenty of lather for four passes and really took my time enjoying the shave. Result was both a great way to relax at the end of the day (I usually shower and shave in the evening), and an extraordinarily clean shave.

I love this hobby.

Blade 2, Shave 3

A quicker shave today, two passes and done within the limited time I had. It's a testament to how forgiving this Schick blade is that I can get away with being hasty when other blades in the same razor would get bitey. And yet it relinquishes nothing in the closeness of the cut.

A couple spots yet remain that could have used a touch up, but I can worry about those in the next shave.

Top Bottom