What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Blade #1, shave 3
Tradere SB, Wee Scot, Speick shave stick

I thought I knew what smooth & comfortable meant, and I stand by those characterizations of this blade in a gen 1 Tradere OC, but moving the blade into a Tradere SB forces one to recalibrate the way you think of such things. If Richard told me this blade was what he designed the SB around, I would believe it.

Now to be fair, the OC delivered a closer and more efficient shave. But I would be VERY hard-pressed to decide which shave I preferred.

Shave number 30

Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream sample
Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (30)
RazoRock King Louis Lavender aftershave

Two passes on face and three on neck for a baby smooth shave. Shaving cream sample has one or two shaves left in it. I never would have guessed it would last so long (like this blade).
30 Shaves!! Congratulation, @Dominic!! That is an amazing milestone!!

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No.13

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable 1968 (7,7,7)
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
Soap: Tabac Shaving Stick (Non Tallow)
IMG_20220604_204105695.jpg

A lovely pairing of contemporary razor and blade made for a great shave tonight.

This blade is just toying with me. I have been seeing a Gillette Platinum on the side, a new blade for me surprisingly as that may sound. More by accident than design a kind of running comparison between the two has developed.

The Plat is considered pretty much a high top end blade. It is struggling to keep up with this vintage beauty. I suppose I have about 2 shaves left in it, after about 12.

In contrast this Schick is rock solid in it's consistency. I am not seeing any loss of performance, although there may be a tiny drop in edge keenness. That is made up for in increasing smoothness. I can't quite describe it, but that smoothness makes up for the edge loss, and it's continued usage I would suggest experienced by others well into the 30's or 40s+ of shaves is due to it's incredible smoothness with still a useful edge retention.

Anyway, a lovely 3 passer tonight, effortless, that got me a result that some call a BBS.

Excellent. The saga continues!

Blade #1, shave 4
Tradere SB, Wee Scot, La Toja shave stick, Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave

Stuck at home with COVID this week (thanks disease vector kiddo), so I figured I'd take some extra time and add some stuff over and above my regular shave. I knew I was going to finish with the Bay Rum, so I thought I might as well start with some proper rum and poured myself a 12 yr Flor de Cana rum & coke to sip as I went along. Some folk get mad at me when I mix that rum, but I don't care. :001_tt2:

Then for ambiance I put on Krigsgaldr by Heilung on repeat. Different, but I love it.

The shave itself was just as stellar as last time; pure comfort and no concern at all that it could ever bite. Can't wait to see he it does in my Lupo 95 OC, next.

Shave number 31

vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (31)

Two passes on face and three on one side of my neck. I'd give the shave an 8.8/10.

Last edited:
Shave number 32

vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (32)

The sample is finally used up. I got 11 shaves out of it!

The blade is up to 32 shaves now. However, I can finally feel a deterioration in quality. The shave is still good, it’s just not baby smooth. I’ll give today’s shave an 8.9/10

Attachments

• SHAVE GEAR.jpeg
    SHAVE GEAR.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Shave number 33

Proraso green soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (33)
Bootleggers Green Freeze aftershave

OK, I think I’ve worn off the Krona coating. The blade is feeling a bit rough. This will be my last shave with this blade. Today’s shave result was still a 9/10.

9ED2E928-A19B-4E8A-8E51-662314DB656A.jpeg

Blade #1, shave 5
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/barberpole handle, Maggard's Timberwolf travel synthetic, La Toja shave stick

Much like the Tradere OC, and nearly to the same degree, the Lupo 95 OC delivers a fantastic shave with this blade. Not as blissfully smooth as the Tradere SB, but with the blade feel comes the efficiency. It's fully one less pass for the same or better results.

Interestingly, this is also the first time I've noticed my synthetic brush not work as well with a soap as my Wee Scot. The La Toja just didn't want to build up a lather with it, staying a runny mess. I'll have to try again later to see if maybe I was just off my game or if it's a genuine lack of interaction.

20220801_085529-01-01.jpeg

Overall, a BEAUTIFUL smooth shave with the Schick and a perfect start into All Aventus August... 🍍

The Schick is holding strong. 8th outing today, 2 easy passes made for a BBS which made my skin feel like oil on glas.

After a week of swimming/rumbling with the Sharks it's been nice to re-visit this predictable blade. 😜

And we shall meet again! 😀
Onward to shave #9!

🍍Happy shaves!🍍

Schick Blade #2 Shave #29
Tools: Lupo Razor, Timberwolf brush & #63 soap.
I had a great time participating in Shark week but its time to test the Schick blade once again.
Got a nice three pass shave this A.M. but the Schick blade is slowing down more. I will try & get a few more shaves from it though. :thumbup1:

Schick Krona-coated blade two, Shave #26

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons 57 best
Soap: PdP #63
Splash: Proroso red

Comment: Back after Shark Week!! Very interesting comparison with the Jaws blade (dull and ‘tuggy’ on day 4) and this blade on day 26: simply NO contest!! Today another comfortable 9/10!! :a29:

Schick Blade #4, Shave #2

Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Soap: Palmolive Classic
Brush: Cheap badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I am coming back to the Schick after a week with a Shark Platinum due to Shark Week and to @Grundi 's Gonna Need a Bigger Razor PIF. The Schick continues to be a great blade. I ended up with 2 small weepers that closed up easily with a cold water rinse. I'm finding that I need to use quite a bit of water with Palmolive Classic to get the right consistency. Proraso Green is still my preferred cream in a tube. But none of that takes away from the blade being sharp and smooth.

Shave number 33

Proraso green soap
Omega 10049 boar brush
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (33)
Bootleggers Green Freeze aftershave

OK, I think I’ve worn off the Krona coating. The blade is feeling a bit rough. This will be my last shave with this blade. Today’s shave result was still a 9/10.

View attachment 1496398

Schick Blade #2 Shave #29
Tools: Lupo Razor, Timberwolf brush & #63 soap.
I had a great time participating in Shark week but its time to test the Schick blade once again.
Got a nice three pass shave this A.M. but the Schick blade is slowing down more. I will try & get a few more shaves from it though. :thumbup1:

Slowing down after 29 (@fast shaver) and 33 (@Dominic) Shaves...

IllAllowIt.gif

Schick Blade #3, Shave 15- popped the Schick blade into to the Maxwell June twinned DE that requires the blade to be broken in half this morning. I figured what the heck, the blade already had 14 shaves on it and I was curious as to how it would shave. After the Shark SS, the Schick was smoother and nicer! My shave was a BBS-, 10-/10:

Shave recap:
Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Schick Krona SS- vintage (15)
Lather: MdC Agrumes- just delightful
Brush: Simpson Colonel best- letting the Zenith unbleached boar get a good dry-out for an extra day
Post: rinse, then Truefitt & Hill Lime ASB, a sweet finish

Have a wonderful week!

PXL_20220801_171352600_2.jpg

Top Bottom