Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Tiny spots)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Superb shave using excellent gear. Absolutely loved it.

For extended shave notes click here.

KCG MIC on 3 and performance is constant. Nice blade so far confirming that my skin and I like platinum coated blades. In my view anything is better for my skin than a purely stainless blade. It is somewhat different from the original. At least I think so. It’s less predictable in behaviour - tiny red spots emerge where I think or believe that the original is sharper preventing that from happening (sounds counterintuitive I know, but I think the edge on the original is cleaner/more balanced). But definitely worth having. Just a good blade.

Enjoy your shave!

It reminds me of the Super Gillette Blue that is also MIC.
Do you mean this Chinese Gillette Super Blue?

What significance of MIC?

Hmm, this was suggested by @lasta as a reasonable substitute for the Rhino blades made by Gillette Shanghai.

What significance of MIC?
Yes I do. The Super Blues work well for me.

Shave #1 - King C. Gillette (China)
Clubman Pinaud Soap
Muhle R89

IMG_20240421_174110344.jpg

I had a fantastic shave on my first outing with the KCG. I have never used one before although I have a Russian tuck included with my seldom used King C. Gillette razor. This particular blade used today is made in China, now sold in lots of 100 for a relatively reasonable price of $14-$16/100.

The KCG definitely shares the DNA of the Gillette family. It is sharper than many competing brands and retains a level of smoothness and glide that I think many try to copy but never quite get there. There's some speculation that the KCG is really the Gillette Platinum just labelled differently. I would have to test them both back to back to know for sure, but I'll say anecdotally they seem similar to me which shouldn't be surprising since they are both Gillettes likely made in the same factory.

This is a really good performer for me. I had no problems getting a great DFS with my single pass and I did not need much touch-ups at all. I am excited to use this blade for the rest of the week and am glad this made in China blade seems to be a good option going forward.

This morning I began my week-long trial run with a Gillette Silver Blue razor blade. I mounted it on a Muhle R89 and was thrilled! Very sharp razor blade that gave me a decidedly deep but gentle shave.

I think I found the blade that more than others offers the right compromise between excellent sharpness and gentleness on the skin.

I found it friendlier than the Gillette Platinum and also more effective.

I will continue to try it this week with other razors, but for now it was really a nice discovery.

This morning I began my week-long trial run with a Gillette Silver Blue razor blade. I mounted it on a Muhle R89 and was thrilled! Very sharp razor blade that gave me a decidedly deep but gentle shave.

I think I found the blade that more than others offers the right compromise between excellent sharpness and gentleness on the skin.

I found it friendlier than the Gillette Platinum and also more effective.

I will continue to try it this week with other razors, but for now it was really a nice discovery.
It is a top blade for me too, Roberto. I've started hoarding the GSB since the future seems uncertain to me. It might be unnecessary since the KCG, Nacet, and Indian Permasharps are good to me, but I don't want to be one of those Polsilver guys lamenting the disappearance of their favorite blade years after the fact.

Shave 2 with the KCG MIC
1000005588.jpg

I think this blade got quite a bit sharper on its second use. I still only acheived a DFS shave but I didn't push it. There was a little more alum and aftershave feedback after today's shave but it was still within acceptable limits. I am looking forward to tomorrow's shave with it.

Date23.04.2024
366 daily shaves
114/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomKCG China (4)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (96)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
9/10
(BBS)
6/10 (Harsh)

Notes:

Summary. Approaching marble on the cheeks today, but the journey was less stellar.

Razor and blade. Blade going on 4 without blinking an eye. Very smooth and very comfortable. Feels like coming home almost. The combination with this razor is less splendid today. Did not see that coming. Very effective paired with a harsher/scraping feeling.

Enjoy your shave!

I used my GSB blade for the second time, with Feather popular I still enjoyed it. Today with Cella almond as soap, Yaqi Ferrari as brush, and after washing with warm water and Aleppo soap before shaving, there is no irritation, no hairs, no cuts.
It's fantastic!!!
I got the same result on my first shave and I praised this blade, it behaves very well with me.

I even wondered if it was psychological or related to the excitement of the moment.
Now I don't know if it's exaggerated but after trying so many blades I think this blade fits my face perfectly and is a candidate to become my favourite.
I also prefer it to the Gillette Wilkinson Sword less sharp more pleasant and smooth, always comfortable for me.

This is the second shave without any irritation and BBS achieved immediately after only two quick passes.
A pity I didn't discover the GSB sooner, I didn't consider it at all.
On Friday when I go to my big city downtown I will buy a pack of hundreds of blades if the shopkeeper has that much.
I am very happy to start my day off right with the discovery.

Last edited:
Shave #2 - King C Gillette (China)
Razor: Gillette Prewar Tech Fat Handle
Soap: Arko Frankensoap

I like blades in the sharper range in the Gillette Tech, and I haven't come across a Gillette branded blade that didn't match up well in the razor. I have tried Nacets, Perma-Sharps, 7 o'clock Permasharps, Silver Blues. All are great. So too now is the KCG from China.

What an appealing shave! Smooth, calm, not a lot of blade feedback or vibration. Hair came off efficiently without effort. This pairing is a fantastic one for me. I'm sitting at my desk at work feeling my face in marvel and I need to stop before colleagues think I have a personal problem.

lasta

Blade Biter
I used my GSB blade for the second time, with Feather popular I still enjoyed it. Today with Cella almond as soap, Yaqi Ferrari as brush, and after washing with warm water and Aleppo soap before shaving, there is no irritation, no hairs, no cuts.
It's fantastic!!!
I got the same result on my first shave and I praised this blade, it behaves very well with me.

I even wondered if it was psychological or related to the excitement of the moment.
Now I don't know if it's exaggerated but after trying so many blades I think this blade fits my face perfectly and is a candidate to become my favourite.
I also prefer it to the Gillette Wilkinson Sword less sharp more pleasant and smooth, always comfortable for me.

This is the second shave without any irritation and BBS achieved immediately after only two quick passes.
A pity I didn't discover the GSB sooner, I didn't consider it at all.
On Friday when I go to my big city downtown I will buy a pack of hundreds of blades if the shopkeeper has that much.
I am very happy to start my day off right with the discovery.
Silvana Bluetata brother!

We have a sizeable group dedicated to the perfection of this blade.

Date24.04.2024
366 daily shaves
115/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette UK Postwar TechKCG China (5)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (97)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small redness)6/10 (Razor sharp)
7/10
(DFS)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. An easy shave today with purposely avoiding BBS to give my skin a little rest.

Razor and blade. I am gonna say that this blade is unlike the original. There is smoothness and comfor missing - while it is still a good blade I think, but I would not gladly take this one double digits. At least not in the vintage razors I have tried so far.

Enjoy your shave.

Shaves 3 and 4 with the KCG MIC
1000005600.jpg

It started to get a bit rough on shave 3 and I noticed more alum and aftershave feedback on this shave. There was no lingering irritation though. Regrowth was noticeably sooner, about 8 hours. This is when I would typically bin the blade.

1000005612.jpg

Today it was rougher again, and I noticed it left behind more stubble after the first pass than usual. The Alum and Aftershave feed back was more than yesterday but barely within acceptable limits. I will bin the blade after today's use.

Date25.04.2024
366 daily shaves
116/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW ImprovedKCG China (6)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (98)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small redness)6/10 (Razor sharp)
9/10
(BBS-)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Much better shave than yesterday with all favourite gear. I could shave daily with this one and be perfectly happy.

I was trying to stay disciplined and use this blade for at least 7 shaves, but after yet another surprise red spot I had it and binned the blade after the shave. I am in between about this version of the KCG blade. It is definitely another blade from the original I love so much. I cannot see myself using this blade into double digits. I had to use alum for 3-4 shaves in a row now. And I normally don't use alum at all, so this is definitely a signal to move on.

Enjoy your shave!

I was trying to stay disciplined and use this blade for at least 7 shaves, but after yet another surprise red spot I had it and binned the blade after the shave. I am in between about this version of the KCG blade. It is definitely another blade from the original I love so much. I cannot see myself using this blade into double digits. I had to use alum for 3-4 shaves in a row now. And I normally don't use alum at all, so this is definitely a signal to move on.
Very interesting. I'm afraid I'm only going to take this particular blade into 3 total shaves by the end of the week, but it's been smooth sailing for me thus far. It's actually a top 2 blade to me if I receive the same experience tomorrow in the Yaqi Mellon that I've had in the Muhle R89 and Gillette Tech.

Top Bottom