What's new

Balin's Blade Bonanza

I received a surprise package from my jester, friend and companion Andrew @Balin consisting of some amazing brushes, but also a heap of blades and that's what this thread is dedicated to. I will use his tucks commencing March and report my findings per blade. I might even go for a tuck at a time kind of approach - although knowing me I don't think I can stick with such an approach for long. Anyway the following blades will be tested and reported on (in random order and also in random order regarding actual testing):

1. Gillette Minora (modern)
  2. Gillette Nacet
  3. Gillette Silver Blue (2x modern)
  4. ASCO
  5. Shark Super Chrome
  6. Gillette Silver Blue (2x vintage)
  7. Super Max
  8. Gillette Rubie (2)
  9. Sharp Titanium
  10. Silver Star Stainless
  11. Racer Super Stainless
  12. Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
  13. Gillette Sputnik
  14. Sharp 7AM Super Platinum
  15. Lord Cool
  16. Kai Blades
  17. King C Gillette (made in China)
  18. Gillette Minora (vintage)
And I believe that @lasta received a similar package so my idea was that among the three of us we select a blade and than use that blade in a variety of razors and do a comparison report in this thread. We could use @lasta's blade scoring sheet for reference if he has already used a blade before - being the reverent Blade Biter. I already know who will be covering blade longevity :cuppa:

So keep this thread on watch if you want - future posts to follow from March onwards.

Cheers,

Guido.

I received a surprise package from my jester, friend and companion Andrew @Balin consisting of some amazing brushes, but also a heap of blades and that's what this thread is dedicated to. I will use his tucks commencing March and report my findings per blade. I might even go for a tuck at a time kind of approach - although knowing me I don't think I can stick with such an approach for long. Anyway the following blades will be tested and reported on (in random order and also in random order regarding actual testing):

1. Gillette Minora (modern)
  2. Gillette Nacet
  3. Gillette Silver Blue (2x modern)
  4. ASCO
  5. Shark Super Chrome
  6. Gillette Silver Blue (2x vintage)
  7. Super Max
  8. Gillette Rubie (2)
  9. Sharp Titanium
  10. Silver Star Stainless
  11. Racer Super Stainless
  12. Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow
  13. Gillette Sputnik
  14. Sharp 7AM Super Platinum
  15. Lord Cool
  16. Kai Blades
  17. King C Gillette (made in China)
  18. Gillette Minora (vintage)
And I believe that @lasta received a similar package so my idea was that among the three of us we select a blade and than use that blade in a variety of razors and do a comparison report in this thread. We could use @lasta's blade scoring sheet for reference if he has already used a blade before - being the reverent Blade Biter. I already know who will be covering blade longevity :cuppa:

So keep this thread on watch if you want - future posts to follow from March onwards.

Cheers,

Guido.
I am in!! I may have sent you blades I have not used myself. I swear you were not meant to be a Guinea Pig 🤣.

I hope others play along too!!

I just did a random number generator and I kid you not it returned the number 3 which is modern GSBs!!!

Now I was playing around with the idea of using one tuck at a time as well, as we would really get to know the blades…how would you feel about that?
It would take you a few years to get through that list!! But I am up for it. We do not want to cause @blethenstrom undue stress 🤣

edited to add: Woo hoo GSB!! Is that providence? 🤨

It would take you a few years to get through that list!!
That was my first guess too. I estimate that with 18 tucks of 5 blades each we are looking at 90 blades in total. Of each blade can give at least 7 shaves that’s 630 shaves (for me at least) or 1.73 years. However I am certain that 10 shaves per blade would also be doable in which case we are looking at 900 shaves or 2.46 years.

The only thing we have to watch out for is that we don’t grow a beard by then!

That was my first guess too. I estimate that with 18 tucks of 5 blades each we are looking at 90 blades in total. Of each blade can give at least 7 shaves that’s 630 shaves (for me at least) or 1.73 years. However I am certain that 10 shaves per blade would also be doable in which case we are looking at 900 shaves or 2.46 years.

The only thing we have to watch out for is that we don’t grow a beard by then!
Yep this is the stuff I've come to realize. My blades will outlast me for sure even if I did not buy one more blade.

Yikes, as an every other day guy, that would be 4.92 years. Don't think I can keep up with you gentlemen in terms of killing tucks.

Date01.03.2024
366 daily shaves
061/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorock Game Changer .84P OCGillette Silver Blue (1)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (42)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10
(BBS)
10/10(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Was going back and forth about today’s razor and then the GC spoke to me. I think the previous owner's DNA was still at play, because I (in his words) stepped on the gas a bit, so the shave felt harsh in places with some redness to boot. The end result cannot be denied though.

Razor and blade. First Bonanza blade fresh out of the double wrapper. This is the older version (no year to date it) as far as I can tell. Felt smooth at first, but became harsher in the second and third pass for some reason. I have had an increased soreness feeling throughout the day. It might have been the super effective open comb Game Changer. The razor is simply amazing in my eyes. It feels smoother to me than the safety bar, but I can imagine that the pairing with the blade matters.

Brush and lather. Bliss.

Technique. Heading into Standard Operating Procedure territory. So somewhat harsher than I imagined it would be. It might have been me rushing or speeding a little bit. Another shave tomorrow with the prewar Tech.

Enjoy your shave!

Rats, I thought we were starting with the newer version! I'll swap after 3 shaves so I can do a comparison!

IMG_20240301_115308.jpg

The newer GSB was a delight to use today after 19 shaves with the Super Silver for OBiF!!

To use an @lasta term the GSB melted the whiskers off my face! 🤣 I found very smooth after last month's single blade challenge. I was a little heavy footed ( @Guido75 ) under the chin, but there was still minimal alum and aftershave feedback. This is one of my fussier razors with respect to blade choice. I almost ended up with a BBS result but my under jaw vortex of doom could be a bit closer. Today was a complete setup change and it usually takes me a shave or 2 to acclimate. I am looking forward to tomorrow's shave already. I swear, its not because I have some new brushes to try out either 🤣.

Top Bottom