What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #17 (41 Overall)

Associated gear:
Yates 921-H
Maggard 24mm 2-band badger
WMS

Today's shave was DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little clean-up buffing. No drama.
But the blade is starting to show it's age a little. Getting to BBS wasn't difficult, but I notice as I type this that whisker growth has dropped that to DFS level just 9 1/2 hours after my shave. Early on, it took until bedtime, not dinner time, for that to happen.

One blade, Two blade edges, 19 razors, 41 shaves and counting.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#59
IMG_20220719_110851_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(59)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with bog oak handle

Tonight back to Tabac and a word about the R41, I always wanted to love the R41, but I often found it a little too aggressive. Having used it for the last 18 consecutive shaves it really has grown on me and I find that with the right blade it is an excellent shaver.
The shave was another boring close and comfortable effort. With only two more sleeps til Shark Week I only have 1 more shave with this blade, shave 60 before I start with shark blades.

Fri 22 Old Friend Returns Blade#1 Shave#11
Soap
Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade Shick Super Stainless 11th Use
Aftershave Stirling Iced Pineapple Splash
Just excellent the lather from this soap with a nice scent and cooling sensation.
My 1st DE razor paired with this awesome blade translates to an enjoyable shave. Super smooth and easy in 3passes for a dfs+ finish. The matching aftershave is just fantastic too...
20220722_125600.jpg

Vintage Schick Blade 3, Shave 13- the weakest shave yet from this blade with both edges feeling somewhat tuggy ATG today, but the shave was still DFS-. One more shave with this blade and I'll put it aside to a try a Shark, or two. For me, using any DE blade for two weeks while still getting decent enough shaves is terrific- 3 to 6 shaves is more typical; some blades only a couple of shaves. Be well everyone and have a great weekend :) !

Today's lime shave:
PXL_20220722_164602923.jpg

(The Doors The End playing softly in the background)
Blade 1: Shaves 19-20
1.65 WR2 for all shaves
Last week (10) of shaving for this blade until at least after Shark week (I shave Monday and Thursday or Friday). It may be a little less sharp than the first shave but I’m still getting fantastic shaves all round. Maybe a slightly shorter time being 🐬 smooth but as has been mentioned by others, if this blade was in production today it would break the company and all others as well. I’ll be jumping back on this bandwagon after shark week. Thank you @Grundi for one of the finest PIF I’ve been involved in.

Schick Blade #3, Shave #4

Razor: PAA DOC
Soap: Proraso Green
Brush: Cheap badger off of Amazon
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

I actually started this shave with a once-used Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (Green). But when I began the shave, it was HARSH! At first I thought it was the pairing of the PAA DOC and the blade, so I took the blade out and put it in my Henson, and it was STILL harsh. I don't know what happened. I do know that I dropped that blade last time upon removing it from the razor and had to slide it across the floor to pick it up, and I'm wondering if it was damaged somehow. I immediately swapped in the ever-reliable Schick into the PAA DOC and found that the world had been made right again. I have realized that the PAA DOC is not for me, but the Schick blade doesn't seem to disappoint in ANY razor. Since I used the Schick I wanted to post this experience here.

An Old Friend Returns Schick Super Stainless Shave No. 11 & 12

Razor: Edwin Jagger DES89K Kelvin.
Soap: Arko!
Brush: English 'New Forest' Badger
IMG_20220704_212949127.jpg

Two superb shaves, back to back using the same setup.

One on a three day growth, and one on a two.

The blade just plowed through, no problems.

Superb smoothness, and the edge appears still good.

I am expecting to be using this and the other blade for some time to come.

Maybe I will be posting on this thread, long after all others have gone, still whittering on.

Just an uncannily great blade!

P.S Sorry for bold text. My keyboard is not allowing me to get out of it. Hopefully I can fix that! :001_wub:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#60
IMG_20220719_110851_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Schick(60)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with bog oak handle

Tonight is my last shave with the Schick blade, at least for the time being as I am off for Shark Week starting tomorrow. I have never had a blade perform this well before and I still believe that it has more to give, I will try to return to it at some point in the future.
The result was no different than previous shaves with another close comfortable shave after 60 shaves. The Schick has broken all records for me, my previous record being a KCG that has 37 shaves on it and can still be used. In case it takes me a while to get back here I would like to thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for what has been the best blade PIF I have ever participated in. I would also like to thank all of you who have also participated for making this such a friendly and interesting experience.
I must say I am looking forward to the possibility of losing a limb during Shark Week or at the very least coming away with a bite out of me.

Schick Krona blade two, Shave #25

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Simpsons duke 2 best
Soap: Vito’s red
Splash: Proraso red

Comment: Another day, another fine shave! My only ‘problem’ is that I am going to put this blade aside for a bit as I need to gear up for SHARK WEEK!

Schick Super Stainless #3, (6), Blackland Era SB, Proraso White Pre-Shave, Stirling Scot Pine Sheep, Proraso White Balm with a little Sterling Balm. Very comfortable, easy BBS, SSS is a great blade. Putting aside for now, Shark Week coming up....

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #18(42 Overall)

Associated gear:
Pearl Flexi on 2.5
Rubberset 400-3 boar
WMS

I can't sat enough good about this blade. Today's shave was DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little clean-up buffing. No nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation, not bad for my first outing with the Flexi. We'll see tomorrow if I improve on today's result with experience before pausing this PIF for Shark Week.

One blade, Two blade edges, 20 razors, 42 shaves and counting.

Vintage Schick Super Stainless w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #2, Shave #19(43 Overall)

Associated gear:
Pearl Flexi on 2.5
Maggard 24mm 2-band badger
WMS

Today's shave was DFS after 2 passes, BBS after a little clean-up buffing. No nicks, weepers or post-shave irritation, just like yesterday.

At this point, I'm setting the Schick aside until sometime after Shark Week.

One blade, Two blade edges, 20 razors, 43 shaves and holding.

Vintage Schick Blade 3, Shave 14- just fine- CCS, no mishaps.

Today there is tons for me to do and in a hurry, so I popped the Schick into a Maggard SS70 and took it into the shower earlier this morning with me. For a number of years I shaved DE in the shower with either a good bar soap, or sometimes a shave soap. My recollection is that I got decent enough shaves; today was no different a CCS with no mishaps using a nice lavender Italian bar soap. An healthy splash of Floid Genuine AS finished me nicely. Tomorrow starts Shark week! I still have two of the vintage blades. I may return to use them, or perhaps, PIF them to another member. This has been my favorite challenge so far and lots of fun. Be well everyone and have a great weekend :) !

Shave number 29

Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream sample
Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (29)
RazoRock King Louis Lavender aftershave

Tomorrow will be shave number 30. One month.

Shave number 30

Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream sample
Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush
1965 Gillette Super Speed razor
vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel razor blade (30)
RazoRock King Louis Lavender aftershave

Two passes on face and three on neck for a baby smooth shave. Shaving cream sample has one or two shaves left in it. I never would have guessed it would last so long (like this blade).

Top Bottom