What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 18, 58% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got a very acceptable DFS, by letting the GC autopilot kick in.

Still out! Tallow whale arrived today with a few more goodies!

That soap stash ought to keep you going for a few years! Since it's known to be discontinued, it's not even "backup disorder", just forward planning.

We'll not say anything about your "side order", eh? :laugh:

Still out! Tallow whale arrived today with a few more goodies!
View attachment 1458227

I bought 10 rallow Tabac last month. Since I was not able to find sticks or refills, I'm stuck with 11 porcelain jars 😹

Tallow whaling galore... ♡

I'd be very dissapointed if you decided not to join us folks in the Tallow Tabac Tuesday thread (frequently ;) ).

Congrats on your fine scores.

@Balin How was your debut shave? You did order a second handle within your order, right?

Last edited:
Tallow whaling galore... ♡

I'd be very dissapointed if you decided not to join us folks in the Tallow Tabac Tuesday thread (frequently ;) ).

Congrats on your fine scores.

@Balin How was your debut shave? You did order a second handle within your order, right?
I will. Once I hated Tabac, now I'm reluctant to use any other soap. I bought the AS too and use it every day, eventhough I shave every other day. Not sure how long one jar will last (beard and head shaver), but I refuse to use the vegan Tabac.
Talking about this now, I feel 'the urge' rising again 🥶
Let's see if I can buy some more.......

Oooooops 😵‍💫 🙃😇

C64CBE21-133A-46C7-85D5-BBDDA32E1D9A.jpeg

Still in

I had a wonderful shave today, Super Iridium blade (single blade from PIF) gave me the most pleasant shave today.
Now, I don't know if it is the original (now discontinued) Super Iridium or Wizamet blade.

Blackland Blackbird OC SS
Super Iridium
TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Stirling Fan knot badger
Shavologist Ruh Khus Aftershave & Minimalist Oatmeal moisturizer

Blackbird OC has truly succeeded in killing my RAD, I reach for it almost every time, and if not this then for Game Changer 84 OC. These are the pillars of my shaving Den, I hope they hold strong for a long time.

Over the past few months, my shaves have improved tremendously, and I realized that alcohol-based aftershave wasn't the culprit in my previous disasters - it was my lacking technique and overuse of dull blade.
I had to learn the hard way to recognize when a blade has gone dull enough to shave but not too comfortable and to discard it as soon as a certain level of comfort is lost.

Now, I can comfortably use alcohol-based aftershave regularly without any irritation at all (touch wood).

It has been an eventful journey in my wet shaving, and thankfully I'm learning to improve various aspects of it, it'll be interesting how much improvement can be achieved by next year, and then again by next year...

19.05.22 - 19/31 (61.29% completed of GRUME in May) and still in.

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC Special Edition
Blade:Tiger Platinum (1)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
10/10 DFS+ or BBS-

Notes from today's shave:

Have a very good day everyone!

Still in

I had a wonderful shave today, Super Iridium blade (single blade from PIF) gave me the most pleasant shave today.
Now, I don't know if it is the original (now discontinued) Super Iridium or Wizamet blade.

Blackland Blackbird OC SS
Super Iridium
TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Stirling Fan knot badger
Shavologist Ruh Khus Aftershave & Minimalist Oatmeal moisturizer

Blackbird OC has truly succeeded in killing my RAD, I reach for it almost every time, and if not this then for Game Changer 84 OC. These are the pillars of my shaving Den, I hope they hold strong for a long time.

Over the past few months, my shaves have improved tremendously, and I realized that alcohol-based aftershave wasn't the culprit in my previous disasters - it was my lacking technique and overuse of dull blade.
I had to learn the hard way to recognize when a blade has gone dull enough to shave but not too comfortable and to discard it as soon as a certain level of comfort is lost.

Now, I can comfortably use alcohol-based aftershave regularly without any irritation at all (touch wood).

It has been an eventful journey in my wet shaving, and thankfully I'm learning to improve various aspects of it, it'll be interesting how much improvement can be achieved by next year, and then again by next year...
That's totally cool following your progress and - nowadays- success.
The upcoming steps you'll make likely will be just smaller ones, but we all never stop learning.

I took me quite a time, too, to realize how essential a perfectly matching blade is (some need sharper ones, some need milder). A well hydrated, slick lather paired with a sharp (but not harsh) blade are the key factors for me nowadays. Okay, for sure, the razor is more than a blade holder, too, but if you load the wrong blade shaving success is put at risk even with your grail razor 😉

The razors you mentioned are truly fine shavers 😀

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
It has been a while, but still in, effortless.
Nice shave this morning, past tuesday and sunday.
Shaved with my favorite razor, a granddad heritage....

Old style clone ('30's)
Wizamet super irridium (1, 2 & 3)
Muhle Rytmo badger brush
GFS Amber fougere (SOTM)
Floid Vigoroso AS
Nivea sensitive ASB

IMG_20220519_084608794.jpg

note: 151 days without buying any shave supply, stupid but it makes me kind of proud..

Top Bottom