What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

... and now I'm out.

Just a short glimbse on BST made me stumble.

To my defense a Wolfman WR1 head with the exact comb gaps and the exact finish I already was looking for (and even more attractive: such one being sold within Germany) isn't an offering which comes up too often, so I caved.

But I hope you don't mind me continuing to post here, though. It shall be a 30/31 Grume for me.

As the other gents have said, there's no blame to be had. You researched, waited, and made a considered purchase. You're out of this month's GRUME, but I wouldn't call it a "fail". Post pics and your impressions once you have it!

We'll be happy to see you go 30/31 and hope to see you for June. :)

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Guido75
3) @Doti B
4) @bubo_strix
5) @iver
6) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
7) @ChriWilson - SOTM
8) @Kyle89
9) Balin - GRUYERE - out (5/13: Tallowhale)
10) @Chef455
11) @mattps1 - GRUYERE
12) @Multum in parvo
13) @JKar
14) @cryhavoc
15) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
16) @hopper_64
17) @wes1953
18) @sandorfi - SOTM
19) @BobbyB
20) @Roedeer
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @SharpieB
23) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
24) JAHE - out (5/15: Wolfman)
25) @bjm
26) @linty1
27) @La Malice
28) @Contact_vs_Feedback
29) @Frinstance
30) @johnottavio
31) @Dodger59
32) @FL shaver
33) @Timeclo
34) @lomfs24

Probably and odd thing to post on a Grume thread, but I have come to trust the folks here!

I have been considering getting a TTO razor. The thoughts are that it would be helpful for "during the week quick shaves". I have a Feather Popular, and think it just ok, but going to try and run it a few more times. As you can tell, I tend to like mild-to-average razors and mostly run my Charcoal Goods Everyday, GC 68 SB and Merkur 34c most often. I have a SLOC and an open comb GC plate for the extended times between shaves. Don't really care for an adjustable (but what do I know). I don't chase BBS and care mostly about smoothness, lack of irritation and comfort.

So, your thoughts between a vintage Schick Krona or SuperSpeed vs the Popular, Weishi and its various related brothers, and Parker TTO's would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
I really think you should look for a Slim, as @JAHE suggested. I have one - as well as a couple of other TTO razors - and the adjustability means that it's many razors in one. You don't have to buy several and hope that the blade gap/exposure is right for you, because you can dial up/down the adjustable. Slims are bulletproof, relatively inexpensive for what you get, and easy enough to find. I prefer my Slim over the other TTOs that I own (Flare Tip and Fatboy).

And as @bjm suggested, you can trade for one, protecting your GRUME status.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Nacet (21)
  • Fuller
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus - SOTM
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Orange Chill ASB
  • Stirling Bergamot Lavender AS
Still plugging away with the dregs of the Mike's soap. Since I mooshed them into an Old Spice mug (on top of Mug of Gross layers), it's a little tough to know where the Mike's ends and the layers begin. I'm guessing that I'll figure it out, though, when the color changes.

The shave itself was quick without being rushed. The results were "good enough" - whiskers gone, no irritation.

Onward!

Still in, this was Sunday evening shave

GRUME : 8/16 (every other day shaver here (and some time even more))

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Maggard Synthetic SY24
Cream : Proraso White Croap
Razor : KCG
Blade : GSB (3)

Felt the need to shave, got the KCG razor out and mow down what was bugging me. As usual for me the KCG provided a sub par shave, real tuggy all around.

A bit of irritation all around and a few nicks

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 8.29.59 PM.png

Still in , no kidding I did not failed in between those 2 posts, this was this morning shave with a 36 h growth

GRUME : 9/16 (every other day shaver here (and some time even more or less))

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Maggard Synthetic SY24
Soap : Sterling Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (4)
Post : Alum block, Sterling Margaritas in the Artic AS balm menthol and then the Sterling Margaritas in the Artic splash

Well a few first for me, first time using a soap, first time using sterling product, first time using a splash ...

Faced lathered it, and the next shave will be bowl lathered, watch a video last week by the company about their soap, and thy were not kidding this soap is water hungry to say the list

a small nick where I had a previous cut, the face will take a while to recover, but the slant will be tamed one day ...

The balm was heavy thick, almost felt like lathering again, took a while to be absorbed by the skin but I gotta say, no irritation all day long and starting with a dry skin I finished with a nice skin.

As I was about to wrap up I decided to get the splash on, after all it was sent by error by Pasteur's pharmacy so it was time to get it to work. what do they say, feel the burn, love the burn ... well it was a nice post shave feeling, the smell lingered for a few hours, but as a man that has not drink any alcohol for 5 years now, it felt weird smelling like a drink at work. I am looking forward Thursday morning shave, after the early month butchering lesson with the slant.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 8.34.16 PM.png

PS folks, sorry for the double long post, it just helps me writing about my shave to see what went wrong and what went right ... well I said helps understand ... not necessarily get better at it

Day 17, 54.8% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Got a perfect lather, always a good start. Loaded a fresh Astra SP, and got an easy BBS.

I'll pm you, since I don't want to derail this thread. 😀

Thanks, JAHE, useful stuff. :thumbup:

Hey Roedeer, I went with the Wolfman WR1 .67 OC head for my first Wolfman because like you, I enjoy my Gamechangers. I did alot digging but there weren't many comparisons between the GameChangers and the Wolfmans but they both have low profile heads, a bit of blade feel. I will let you know how I make out when my WR1 arrives hopefully this Friday.

I'll be interested in hearing your first impressions of the Wolfman WR1. Good luck, Balin!

18.05.22 - 18/31 (58.06% completed of GRUME in May) and still in.

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC Special Edition
Blade:Tiger Platinum (4)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 CCS

Notes from today's shave can be found here:

Have a very good day everyone!

linty1

My wallet cries.
thumbnail_IMG_8684.jpg

Still in.

Brought out the boar and decided to give it some burn and break it in a little more... this scent on the sv soap.... is not working for me. Did one pass... and couldn't go on. I'm sure some ppl love the scent, I do not. Back in the tin it goes and I'll think about what to do with it. It does perform well though, lathered up very nice and quickly. Not tempted by anything, although I do have a few things I'm thinking about. *shrug* that'll be for future me to hash out.

Still In
SOTD #15
DFS

Now that the weather has pretty much stabilized I've been out for more frequent jogs (prepping for one as I type).
I have shed a small number of pounds which is a good thing. The contra to that is that I need to make smallish adjustments to my auto-pilot to compensate. In retrospect, I should have slowed things up a touch around the chin and lower neck; nothing major just got my attention a couple times :eek2:

• No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • Semogue Torga C3 Mistura :001_wub:
  • GC.84P
  • KCG (1)
  • No Astringent
  • Nivea Protect & Care 2 in 1
  • No Post-Shave balm

Shave #1:
Merkur 39C
Dorco Prime STP-301
Cella (brick)
Trotter Handcrafts 'Negra Bronce' handle w/ APShaveCo 26mm G5B knot

Shave #2 (head-shave):
RazoRock Hawk V1 (aluminum)
Feather ProGuard
Cella (brick) as a soap stick
Yaqi 30mm Boss synthetic

A rough day at work required two separate shave sessions to find my happy place. I usually shave in the morning to start my day and today was a good one... until what turned into an all-day Zoom meeting. Oh well, it could be a lot worse and I am quite fortunate in so many ways. That said, I still needed a second shave to recover.

I usually grab a Gillette Guard for my head shaves, but today I decided to try something different and go with the RR Hawk. I couldn't have walked away with a closer shave, but I did suffer a few weepers. No big deal. I can deal with weepers; it's the nicks and cuts I avoid if at all possible. I knew the aftershave would sting, so I looked in the mirror and told myself "it's gonna hurt a little but it's not life-threatening and it won't last long" before applying it. I wasn't wrong.

Still in...

Still in!

Meant to continue my vintage DE razor binge but felt a straight razor shave this evening. I also did a refresh on one of my edges so will test it tomorrow. Then whip out my pre-war tech for a shave or 2.

Lets see if I stick to this plan!

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day today.

Top Bottom