What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. SOTD - 16 MAY 2022

SOTD 05162022.jpg

Great shave today. First use on the Noxzema shave cream. Lathered up nicely with good slickness. Didn't impress me in any areas but was plenty for a good shave. I've been enjoying the shave with the Envoy. It's got a slight bite to it but with careful touch, it gave me a fine shave.

Not at all @Dodger59 - a little bit enabling, but we are strong gents aren’t we 😉.

Probably and odd thing to post on a Grume thread, but I have come to trust the folks here!

I have been considering getting a TTO razor. The thoughts are that it would be helpful for "during the week quick shaves". I have a Feather Popular, and think it just ok, but going to try and run it a few more times. As you can tell, I tend to like mild-to-average razors and mostly run my Charcoal Goods Everyday, GC 68 SB and Merkur 34c most often. I have a SLOC and an open comb GC plate for the extended times between shaves. Don't really care for an adjustable (but what do I know). I don't chase BBS and care mostly about smoothness, lack of irritation and comfort.

So, your thoughts between a vintage Schick Krona or SuperSpeed vs the Popular, Weishi and its various related brothers, and Parker TTO's would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
I do not own a TTO myself (although I was just researching a Weishi my local brick and mortar store where apparently they sell these). My 5ct is that the Super Speed does come in variations of aggressiveness hence the different colouring on the flare tip. So you might want to check in which aggression point you like. The others mentioned are more or less build off of the SS.

But as I said I was looking over the Weishi. All brass for €27 and no shipping because they are in the town next to mine. SS price point is about the same on the bay. Matter of taste applies here too I guess. (And what was even more astonishing by the way was a stainless steel R41 cloned head for €7! Can’t beat that for giving it a try, but it sounds almost too good to be true).

Happy hunting,

Guido

Still in
Tonight’s shave
Pre-Shave: Hot Face Wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: Astra Blue Super Stainless
Brush: Frank Shaving 3-band Silvertip Badger brush
Soap:Ach Brito Mogno
Post-Shave: Alum Block
Williams Acqua Velva. I’ve Blue AS Splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB
Fine Scottish soaps Vetiver & Sandalwood AS Cream

This Mogno soap rocks at its price point of £5 or there abouts. Lots of creamy, dense lather and if I had one criticism it would be that post shave was a little drier than I like. Still ended up with BBS 3 pass with minimal touch ups.
This soap though will become part of my regular rotation that’s for sure. If you haven’t tried it for the money it’s worth it.
On to the next shave and let’s all stay safe 😎😎😎😎😎

5 16 22.jpg

Going surprisingly strong this month, but it's been a busy month which has helped.

I still have such a love hate relationship with my Duke 3 synth- but this shave was probably the closest I've felt to loving it. I guess (for me) it really shines with creams. Since I'm using Proraso this week, might as well keep rocking it. It really is a wonderful brush. Just, splay dang it!

I think this was the last ride for green Derby in the accumulated sample packs. It said goodbye with a nibble on the turkey neck. I hope everyone's weekend is great.

Green Derby's are strictly a once and done blade for me. They seem to work well enough for me on a single 3-pass shave, but degrade pretty quickly.

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water
Brush: Simpsons Classic C1 Synthetic
Lather: Muhle Sandalwood shaving stick
Razor: Gillette Old Type 1918
Blade: Tiger Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Cold water, Styptic pencil and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food
Results: Bbs/dfs

Todays sunday shave was with the little garrison of supply's that I keep at work, it was an enjoyable shave despite the weeper that required the attention of my Styptic pencil.

Enjoy your Sunday shave folks
How do you like that their shave stick ?
I've used the Sea Buckthorn a couple times, but always seems to dry out on me.
Delightful fragrance though, almost a milder Passiflora

Day 16, 51.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Ti Handle, Wizamet SI #8
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid.

A good near-BBS.

Since I joined the waiting list on New Year's Day I kind of inhaled every information I could find on the differences of the razor heads (Wr1 vs Wr2) and the gaps available. Boy, I can tell you, it can literally drive you nuts

Not knowing which head to bet on is what's stopping me getting a bad case of Wolfman RAD.

The GC.84P (safety bar Game Changer) is close to ideal as my everyday driver — docile yet efficient. I wonder what the Wolfman equivalent would be.

17.05.22 - 17/31 (54.84% completed of GRUME in May) and still in. Smooth sailing to the finish line?!

Prep:
KCG Fash Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
Fatip Piccolo OC Special Edition
Brush:
Omega Proraso Boar
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Blade:
Tiger Platinum (3)
Passes:
WTG / XTG / ATG / ATG
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 DFS

Extended comments to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11771031

Have a very good day everyone!

Guido

Probably and odd thing to post on a Grume thread, but I have come to trust the folks here!

I have been considering getting a TTO razor. The thoughts are that it would be helpful for "during the week quick shaves". I have a Feather Popular, and think it just ok, but going to try and run it a few more times. As you can tell, I tend to like mild-to-average razors and mostly run my Charcoal Goods Everyday, GC 68 SB and Merkur 34c most often. I have a SLOC and an open comb GC plate for the extended times between shaves. Don't really care for an adjustable (but what do I know). I don't chase BBS and care mostly about smoothness, lack of irritation and comfort.

So, your thoughts between a vintage Schick Krona or SuperSpeed vs the Popular, Weishi and its various related brothers, and Parker TTO's would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
If you can get your hands on a Krona then go for it! Mine is an absolute treat with Nacets.

Not knowing which head to bet on is what's stopping me getting a bad case of Wolfman RAD.

The GC.84P (safety bar Game Changer) is close to ideal as my everyday driver — docile yet efficient. I wonder what the Wolfman equivalent would be.
Hey Roedeer, I went with the Wolfman WR1 .67 OC head for my first Wolfman because like you, I enjoy my Gamechangers. I did alot digging but there weren't many comparisons between the GameChangers and the Wolfmans but they both have low profile heads, a bit of blade feel. I will let you know how I make out when my WR1 arrives hopefully this Friday.

Still in

Trader Joe's Honey Mango Cream preshave
Stirling Executive Man Soap
Hand lathered
Feather Popular Razor
Kai Blade (2)
Alum
Speick ASL

After thinking TTO's (and thank you all for advice and feedback) I broke out the Feather Popular for a quick 2-pass shave this morning. I'm glad I did. Had not used it in a very long time. I'm sure my technique for using such a light razor has improved. The excellent Kai blade also helps. Very good CCS. No alum or AS feedback to speak of.

Peace!

Still in

Pre-Shave: hot water
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T1
Lather: Proraso Red
Razor: Ever Ready Pat'd 1912
Blade: Gems ptfe (3)
Post-shave: Cold water, alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

20220517_104137.jpg

How do you like that their shave stick ?
I've used the Sea Buckthorn a couple times, but always seems to dry out on me.
Delightful fragrance though, almost a milder Passiflora

I have the Sea Buckthorn, Sandalwood and the Aloe Vera shaving sticks, so far only the Sea Buckthorn remains unused. On the negative side I also find that it dries out, but not as quickly the GFT Officer and Gentleman or TOBS Sandalwood pucks. I have not noticed any scent from them and even my girlfriend who has a good sense of smell said that it "Just smells like soap". On the plus side it lathers well using the rub wet soap on face, than rub face with damp brush method and its small size (37g) also makes it a great travel soap. I have also noticed that it lasts quite long. So overall for me it's positives outweigh its negatives.

I have the Sea Buckthorn, Sandalwood and the Aloe Vera shaving sticks, so far only the Sea Buckthorn remains unused. On the negative side I also find that it dries out, but not as quickly the GFT Officer and Gentleman or TOBS Sandalwood pucks. I have not noticed any scent from them and even my girlfriend who has a good sense of smell said that it "Just smells like soap". On the plus side it lathers well using the rub wet soap on face, than rub face with damp brush method and its small size (37g) also makes it a great travel soap. I have also noticed that it lasts quite long. So overall for me it's positives outweigh its negatives.
Thank you sir for your assessment. The drying for me is not a game changer as I experience the same with TOBS Sandalwood, also in stick form so it is an easy reapply. I may use it as SOTM in June just to get a good feel of it before heading on vacation in July. More than likely I'll be toting the TOBS Sandalwood stick along with a stick of PAA Future Fiction in CK6.

Top Bottom