What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD
  • TCOT head/BET handle
  • Nacet (22)
  • Yaqi 24mm synthetic
  • Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus - SOTM
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling South Padre ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
A rushed, yet very satisfactory shave today.

I had a couple of days' growth, which means putting aside the Rockwell and reaching for an OC razor. I grabbed the closest one, the thin-cap Old Type head on a Ball-end Tech handle. Good lather and a light touch resulted in a very acceptable shave with no irritation and no protest from the Bay Rum aftershave. Out the door and to the office in time for my first phone call of the morning...

Onward!

Still in.

Decent shaves with the Rex Envoy. Tried out the Cloud Super Blades and wasn't a big fan of them.

SOTD 05182022.jpg

Still In
SOTD #16
DFS

A bit surprised by this razor / blade combo. Either I haven't been paying attention to Bolzano's or they are just below the radar of most blades. Very nice series of shaves, smooth and just sharp enough. Can't say I've noticed any tugging or issues with cutting efficiencies. I think the Rubie might be next up.

• No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • Adam Grooming's Pure Badger
  • Mühle R89
  • Bolzano (4) - Binned
  • Thayer's Astringent
  • B&M LGC
  • No Post-Shave balm

Still in

I had a wonderful shave today, Super Iridium blade (single blade from PIF) gave me the most pleasant shave today.
Now, I don't know if it is the original (now discontinued) Super Iridium or Wizamet blade.

Blackland Blackbird OC SS
Super Iridium
TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Stirling Fan knot badger
Shavologist Ruh Khus Aftershave & Minimalist Oatmeal moisturizer

Blackbird OC has truly succeeded in killing my RAD, I reach for it almost every time, and if not this then for Game Changer 84 OC. These are the pillars of my shaving Den, I hope they hold strong for a long time.

Over the past few months, my shaves have improved tremendously, and I realized that alcohol-based aftershave wasn't the culprit in my previous disasters - it was my lacking technique and overuse of dull blade.
I had to learn the hard way to recognize when a blade has gone dull enough to shave but not too comfortable and to discard it as soon as a certain level of comfort is lost.

Now, I can comfortably use alcohol-based aftershave regularly without any irritation at all (touch wood).

It has been an eventful journey in my wet shaving, and thankfully I'm learning to improve various aspects of it, it'll be interesting how much improvement can be achieved by next year, and then again by next year...
Polsilvers come in a plain wrapper
Wizamets come in a "Super Iridium" wrapper

IMG_7219.JPEG

Still in

GRUME : 10/16 (every other day shaver here (and some time even more or less))

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : Proraso White
Brush : Maggard Synthetic SY24
Soap : Sterling Margaritas in the Artic
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (5)
Post : Alum block, Sterling Margaritas in the Artic AS balm menthol and then the Sterling Margaritas in the Artic splash

sometime it just feels good. Today it felt good, the Sterling product even helped with the burnt dry skin that 2 days in the afternoon sun of Texas dried up and burnt real good

See you all in 2 days

Day 19, 61.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #3
Razor: GC.68 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SS #4(?)
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Decided to give the Astra SS another chance, loaded in my mildest Game Changer.

That was better than I remembered, not as smooth as an SP, but probably sharper. A good match for a mild razor? Prep and technique have moved on a bit since my last try.

Top Bottom