What's new

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at B&B - Check Your 6!

Due to a couple of questions from some of the guys about what the Check 6 badge means, I thought I would bump this thread back on to the New Posts List.

If you guys have any family history of colon cancer or other similar problems, this thread has some vital information for you. I recommend that you read it through, every posting, and reflect.

End of Sermon.

Get them done everyone! I had mine done last week and they found some unpleasant stuff and also a "something" in my liver. I say something because they are still figuring it out. So I have a longpath ahead of me. This colonoscopy and endoscopy was because of suspicions. Nothing was there a few years ago, so you never know when something can develop. So I can't urge strongly enough to get the tests done regularly.

When they scoped me they saw a couple of spots on the liver but once they got to checking further it turned out to be cysts. Praying that you have a success going forward.

To The Top ,cant be said enough... get it done. I am at home recovering from surgery from another form of cancer but having spent a week in the cancer ward of a major hospital , the colonoscopy is nothing compared to what it can do....

I went to the doctor yesterday and got my marching instructions for my exam next week.

A. 3-5 days before NO corn, chilies, tomato, lettuce or spinach
B. On the day before no food after 1000 but 2-3 liters of liquid without pulp; 1 packet Citrafleet plus more liquids; bouillon for lunch;
2nd Citrafleet for dinner

Interesting that worldwide anything with "fleet" in the name involves not only what it does but how you better react when it hits!! :tongue_sm

The only thing I'm scared of is dying from starvation before the test... :w00t:

I went to the doctor yesterday and got my marching instructions for my exam next week.

A. 3-5 days before NO corn, chilies, tomato, lettuce or spinach
B. On the day before no food after 1000 but 2-3 liters of liquid without pulp; 1 packet Citrafleet plus more liquids; bouillon for lunch;
2nd Citrafleet for dinner

Interesting that worldwide anything with "fleet" in the name involves not only what it does but how you better react when it hits!! :tongue_sm

The only thing I'm scared of is dying from starvation before the test... :w00t:

The prep and a full day of a clear liquid diet are the hardest parts of a colonoscopy. The actual procedure is a breeze. Good luck on your upcoming test.

I did want to mention that there are some new options available to patients who aren't willing to undergo a colonoscopy. I've discussed testing the stool annually, through either a fecal occult blood or fecal immune test. Some patients may be candidates for the newer fecal DNA testing (Cologaurd) every three years. While less invasive than a colonoscopy, it does have its disadvantages. It is expensive (around $600), not covered by some insurances and requires a full bowel movement to be shipped by mail. For those who are averse to getting a colonoscopy, talk to your doctor and see if other options are available to you.

Tomorrow is the final day of March. So far, this has been a great success. Thanks to everyone involved!

I called my doc last week to schedule an appointment for a follow up after two years. When I did my age "50" endoscopy/colonoscopy two years ago at age 57 (I know), I had two benign polyps in my colon removed. I also discovered that I had a potentially dangerous esophageal condition that needs to be regularly monitored. I am going tomorrow morning for an upper scope only. I will need to get both ends checked out in two more years. It turns out that a visit to the gastroenterologist for my very late colonoscopy found something else. Even though it is not colon cancer, just getting it done has potentially saved my life.

I called my doc last week to schedule an appointment for a follow up after two years. When I did my age "50" endoscopy/colonoscopy two years ago at age 57 (I know), I had two benign polyps in my colon removed. I also discovered that I had a potentially dangerous esophageal condition that needs to be regularly monitored. I am going tomorrow morning for an upper scope only. I will need to get both ends checked out in two more years. It turns out that a visit to the gastroenterologist for my very late colonoscopy found something else. Even though it is not colon cancer, just getting it done has potentially saved my life.

Erosive esophygitis perhaps? Been there. Nexium is my friend. �� I found the endoscopy to be much worse than the colonoscopy.

Erosive esophygitis perhaps? Been there. Nexium is my friend. �� I found the endoscopy to be much worse than the colonoscopy.

Actually, I have something called Barrett's Esophagus. It has a slight risk of developing in to a particularly nasty strain of esophageal cancer. I just need to get checked every couple of years.

Ugh. Sorry man. Mine was just a reflux type thing. Too much spicy food and malt whisky. I just had to tone it down and take the hard(er) core antacid type stuff. Just do what the docs say, and take care of yourself.

Best,

Windy

Mike:

Thanks for all your work on this. I turned 50 in the fall, and this has been on my to-do list. I just scheduled my colonoscopy for April 19 directly as a result of this thread. I figured I ought to get my appointment in under the wire.

Bob

Top Bottom