What's new

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at B&B - Check Your 6!

I turned 36 last October but had my first scope the month before. They found a 1cm polyp and I'm on a 5 year plan because my grandfather was diagnosed with colon cancer at 42. The prep was a 7oz bottle of magnesium citrate and a bottle of Miralax mixed with 32oz of Gatorade. It wasn't bad because I drink that much liquid in a few hours anyway. The gas pains after the procedure were the only real discomfort. Mainly because my wife wanted to go shopping for hours afterwards.

Thanks guys! I went in for a check up last week due to seeing this on the board and noticing that things were a little 'red' lately and that I hadn't eaten any beets in a while and the details of blood in the OPs post, I made the appointment. Ya know, it wasn't even near as bad as people seem to make it out. In-Out-Done! Doc says that everything looks good overall, just another issue that he found that should heal on its own given some time.

Honestly it was kind of scary for a bit there because after reading the OPs post and then seeing red and reading about what could cause that on the 'net and having 3 kids and a wife that I provide for, it was kind of one of those life 'Ohhhhhh crap! That aint going to turn out good.' moments. So now we give it some time and then go back in for another check up to see if the other issue has corrected itself.

It is so much better to know and be able to do something about it.

I still had the 2 x 32 Oz Gatorade mixes plus tablets.
Philadelphia hasn't joined the modern world I see. :)

I didn't mind that. It was the fasting I hated. Jolly ranchers (green and yellow only) eventually don't cut the mustard.

Mine had me use the Prepopik last time as well. I can PM her name to you if you want to switch to the 21st century. :biggrin:

It is so much better to know and be able to do something about it.

Ya know, that is true. In my earlier years, I was always a 'Screw it, I'm not going to the doctor over this. It will all work itself out. I'm fine!" Now that I'm getting a bit older, I'm finding that yes, I do need the assistance of those poky, proddy, question asking, nosey-assed doctors because things just don't go away on their own sometimes and getting it taken care of early is MUCH better than being a stubbon old man and finding out later that if you took care of it earlier you would have been much better off.

So true. Men are also particularly bad at "getting help," and whereas women will diligently get their regular mammograms (which hurt like hell), getting a guy to do a simple blood test for something can be a real struggle. I'm pretty sure [MENTION=29120]mdevine[/MENTION] and [MENTION=40793]strop[/MENTION] would agree with me on this. I was like that and it took a blood donation where the nurse said, "your blood pressure is 160/100. You better see a doctor asap before you have a stroke" to get me to do it. Who knew that a couple little pills in the morning could make me feel so much better?

The Doc said my prostate felt "perfect"...sorry, no pics.

He wasn't even going to do the finger wiggle this year as there were no warning signs previous ones, blood tests and poop on a stick tests but I asked for it.

Get checked and tell your friends and loved ones to as well.

Next up for me will be the no red meat for a week and take home fecal occult blood test.

I still have a few years to go before the full out scope but will gladly ask for it if there are any warning signs.

Stay healthy guys & gals.

I had about 4 or 5 colonoscopies, I forget if it's every 3 or 5 years for me. At this point it's like a tune up, every time they go in, they remove some small polyps, so I'm not complaining!

Looks like they changed the fluid as the one I had to drink 3 months ago was similar flavor to the previous gallon jug but this time it was less liquid volume, so that was a treat, since to me, the stuff you drink for prep is the worst part about the whole thing.

I tell this to all my friends and co-workers, just get it checked, there is no pain associated, they put you under and after 20-30 minutes you wake up hungry!

If you dont do it for yourself do it for your loved ones.[/QUOTE]

+1. Here is my post on the Check your six thread:

I've been debating whether to reply to this post, as this issue is very personal to me. Having lost both my parents to complications resulting from colon cancer, I am keenly aware on a deeply personal level, of how awful this disease can be, if left unchecked and untreated. Remember, it not only affects you, but your loved ones as well.

I am 52 years old, and have already had several colonoscopies due in part, to my family history. They really aren't a big deal. The preparation is the worst part, but the procedures have improved to make the process less unenjoyable. Your physician may even ask if you'd like to watch the procedure on screen having only mildly sedated you, but that's really not my thing. I just tell them to KO me, and when I wake up it's over and I go home. Just get it done. An ounce of prevention.....

Kudos MDevine and Badger and Blade for bringing this matter to the attention of so many people. It really is a valuable public service.

I just received this email and thought I would pass along more good news...

Kentucky Makes Progress Reducing Colorectal Cancer Rates

By Allison Perry

Fifteen years ago, Kentucky was ranked first in the nation for both the highest incidence and mortality rates for colorectal cancer. These statistics are made more dire by the fact that colorectal cancer is largely a preventable disease, thanks to regular colorectal screenings.
However, at that time, Kentucky was also ranked next-to-last in the country for colorectal cancer screenings, with just over one-third of people age 50 or over having ever received a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy exam.

These startling statistics spurred several major cancer groups in Kentucky into action, leading to the launch of a program encouraging primary care physicians to recommend and schedule colorectal screening. In rural areas of the state where access to primary care is limited, individuals from the community were recruited for screening and asked to encourage their age-eligible friends to also be screened.

The Kentucky Cancer Consortium (KCC) brings together more than 60 state agencies and organizations and is funded by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Control Program. Working together the agencies and organizations participating in the KCC were able to introduce two successful policy initiatives: the first resulted in a bill passed by the state General Assembly that requires all health insurers in Kentucky to cover the cost of screening for age-eligible patients; the second resulted in a bill passed by state legislature to establish a program for screening age-eligible patients who are uninsured, and to educate the public about the importance of being screened for colorectal cancer.

In the seven years following this new focus on colorectal cancer, the screenings rates nearly doubled, from 34.7 percent of the age-eligible population receiving screenings to 63.7 percent. This raised Kentucky’s rank from 49[SUP]th[/SUP] in the country to 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] compared to other states. No other state has had such a dramatic increase in colorectal screenings in such a short period of time.

As a result, the lives of many Kentuckians have been saved: the incidence rate for colorectal cancer is down nearly 25 percent, and the mortality rate has dropped 30 percent. Through colorectal screenings, doctors can find precancerous lesions and remove them before they become cancer. Screenings also allow physicians to find these cancers at an earlier stages, when they are more likely to respond to treatment.

Thomas Tucker, associate director for the UK Markey Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention and Control Program, puts this in perspective.

“A 25 percent reduction in colorectal cancer means that each year 230 Kentuckians who would have developed colorectal cancer in the past no longer get the disease," Tucker said. "This is a remarkable public health success story, and it demonstrates that when we work together and truly coordinate our efforts, we can make a meaningful difference.”

Though much progress has been made, there’s still a long way to go: roughly a third of eligible Kentuckians still aren’t seeking these life-saving screenings. Melissa Hounshell, the community outreach director for the UK Markey Cancer Center, is focusing her efforts on reaching these individuals by distributing FIT kits in the population centers where individuals are least likely to pursue screening. FIT kits are at-home tests that are then mailed to a lab and screened for blood in the stool, a potential marker of colorectal cancer.

“Markey is committed more than ever to leading a comprehensive cancer screening education and prevention program,” Hounshell said. “It’s about reaching some of those people who have been unreachable and really embedding ourselves in the community.”

Get them done everyone! I had mine done last week and they found some unpleasant stuff and also a "something" in my liver. I say something because they are still figuring it out. So I have a longpath ahead of me. This colonoscopy and endoscopy was because of suspicions. Nothing was there a few years ago, so you never know when something can develop. So I can't urge strongly enough to get the tests done regularly.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far and shared their stories. By personalizing it, it encourages others to get checked and saves lives. We're past the half-way point of Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, so if you haven't yet done so, get checked and encourage your loved ones to do the same. If you've talked a friend or family member into getting screened, let us know about it. It may motivate someone else to do the same.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Did the sample-mail away test for the first time, about three months ago. :blushing:

But out it took me three years to do it.

After I turned 50, doc told me to get scoped. Told the truth; I have no time for that ... Work six days. Doing the work of three laid off people, etc.

doc gave me the kit, which my wife hid somewhere. Year went by.

doc says, hey- no results? "Sorry, I forgot." Got another kit.

put it in bathroom. Forgot about it. Year went by.

doc says, hey- what now? "Give me another, swear I'll do it."

wife hides it. I forget. Year goes by.

get sick, go to doc. Get ultimatum. Facing the long arm of the scope-people, I finally do test. Mail away. Wonder what the big deal was.

then my crappy, sorry, lousy insurance bills me for test. I pay happily.

Doc happy. me - ok.

AA

Top Bottom