What's new

Don't mess with IRS, or ignore your student loans. If so you will fell like Homer Pyle USMC

Gentleman's son I know is in pickle, he applied for his Social Security, got letter from the

Social Security Folks say your MONTHY PAYMENT IS; _______, but there is a but.

Because you have income for x years, but are deliquent on INCOME TAX Due, IRS has hold until you settle up with them. Apparently he is W-@worker, but has not filed in years.

Apparently this is true as far as getting SSI, Medicare, and Delinquent Student Loan also can put you in same position of being award Social Security or SSI Disability, but on small percentage of amount due monthly or ZERO.

Asked guy I know who is Retire IRS Hearing Officer how this came to be, simple explanation was he got W-2's, IRS got their copies, and know he had income, and did not file. Should be mess to unravel.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.
All of us, in one way or another, benefit from services provided by the Government. Whether it be to pay for Armed Forces that keep us secure, local Law Enforcement that keeps us safe, roads and infrastructure that we use almost daily, or other items that the government deems necessary as approved by those we have elected to make such decisions.
If you don't approve of what the money is spent on, your recourse is to elect those who believe as you do, but simply not paying your taxes is not a viable option.
We have a legal, moral and just obligation to pay the taxes levied against us as enacted by those we have selected to represent us.

It makes sense. It seems to be the logical consequences of not filing.

Friend is VP with Bank in KY, apprently if you delinquent in Student Feds will not do FHA, or GI mortgages.

Never knew this until buddy to me about sucessful Dentist who wanted home loan.

Apprently he ignored his Stufent Losns, less then 100k.

But being unpaid on in years but him in behind.

Back in late 1970's I work in Los Angeles County, the Agency I work for did a lot of Civil Process Serving, and Followup Actions for State of California. Franchise Tax Board (Personal Tax Collector), and Board of Equalization (State Sales Tax Collectors).

Both agencies were ruthless, if you were a dead beat tax payers. Once you got on their radar, they were like King Kong try to get their money, and they used ever legal avenue to collect past due taxes. Taking Cars, Trucks, Business Property, and Equipment to collect past due taxes.

Remember one guy who had large machine shop telling me he owned the IRS a tidy sum, but they were ***** cats compared to the State Tax collectors.

Gentleman's son I know is in pickle, he applied for his Social Security, got letter from the

Because you have income for x years, but are deliquent on INCOME TAX Due, IRS has hold until you settle up with them. Apparently he is W-@worker, but has not filed in years.

Apparently this is true as far as getting SSI, Medicare, and Delinquent Student Loan also can put you in same position of being award Social Security or SSI Disability, but on small percentage of amount due monthly or ZERO.

Asked guy I know who is Retire IRS Hearing Officer how this came to be, simple explanation was he got W-2's, IRS got their copies, and know he had income, and did not file. Should be mess to unravel.
Do you mean W-2 worker? If he was an employee doesn't social security already have all his SS payments in full, meaning SS has been made "whole" but not the US treasury? I believe you are warning that if one is delinquent on filing their income taxes or making payments, that future SS payouts will be withheld? That seems reasonable.

IRS is a mess to deal with, even when it's their fault. 10 years ago, we filed sometime in March. When we didn't get the refund by early June, I called the IRS to check status and was told that their initial review showed we were due a bigger refund and it was awaiting further review. I called our accountant who, after his review, said his filing was correct and the IRS screwed up. I called the IRS a number of times that summer and was told (after transfers and/or hang-ups) that it was in the final review stage and we should get it "in two weeks". Finally in late August I wrote a letter to my congressman, listing when I called, who I spoke to and what was said. The next week, I got a letter from congressman's office saying that they've asked the IRS to prioritize and respond. A couple weeks later I get a call from the congressman's office, saying to expect the refund in 10-14 days and to call if I don't. Finally in last Sept we got the original refund. At least we haven't had a problem since.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
IRS is a mess to deal with, even when it's their fault. 10 years ago, we filed sometime in March. When we didn't get the refund by early June, I called the IRS to check status and was told that their initial review showed we were due a bigger refund and it was awaiting further review. I called our accountant who, after his review, said his filing was correct and the IRS screwed up. I called the IRS a number of times that summer and was told (after transfers and/or hang-ups) that it was in the final review stage and we should get it "in two weeks". Finally in late August I wrote a letter to my congressman, listing when I called, who I spoke to and what was said. The next week, I got a letter from congressman's office saying that they've asked the IRS to prioritize and respond. A couple weeks later I get a call from the congressman's office, saying to expect the refund in 10-14 days and to call if I don't. Finally in last Sept we got the original refund. At least we haven't had a problem since.
Your error = penalties + interest. Their error = no penalties or interest. I won't bore you all with the year they made an error on my refund. It does stick in my craw that they want extra $ when it's in their favor but offer zero when it's on them.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Your error = penalties + interest. Their error = no penalties or interest. I won't bore you all with the year they made an error on my refund. It does stick in my craw that they want extra $ when it's in their favor but offer zero when it's on them.
That’s interesting. They made an error on one of our refunds, caught it and paid us almost $500 in interest.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
That’s interesting. They made an error on one of our refunds, caught it and paid us almost $500 in interest.
Perhaps my issue was resolved within the 45 days they generously allow themselves to issue payment. It was a lifetime ago, we were kids just starting a family, and we could have used the $ on time vs. the stress of the back and forth trying to get it worked out. We did receive our refund eventually. The experience definitely left a sour taste, particularly considering we were filing very simple taxes at the time - income taxes paid less taxes due = please can we please have our money back.

The tax laws/codes can be a maze. It's a tad absurd IMHO that the "backbone" of the USA pay our taxes, frequently cannot afford accountants/lawyers (granted seldom need) to skate through loopholes that the wealthy and corporations routinely take advantage of to avoid paying anything resembling a fair share. YMMV.

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious

That’s what should happen. Same with student loans. They must know the definition of the word loan by then. Where do I apply for mortgage forgiveness?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Perhaps my issue was resolved within the 45 days they generously allow themselves to issue payment. It was a lifetime ago, we were kids just starting a family, and we could have used the $ on time vs. the stress of the back and forth trying to get it worked out. We did receive our refund eventually. The experience definitely left a sour taste, particularly considering we were filing very simple taxes at the time - income taxes paid less taxes due = please can we please have our money back.

The tax laws/codes can be a maze. It's a tad absurd IMHO that the "backbone" of the USA pay our taxes, frequently cannot afford accountants/lawyers (granted seldom need) to skate through loopholes that the wealthy and corporations routinely take advantage of to avoid paying anything resembling a fair share. YMMV.
We were very suprised to get a check back. It was from 2yrs previous and we had already received a refund. One of my wife’s friend is a tax guy and he thinks they were going to audit us for that year, but realized they’d made a mistake and under-refunded us so paid us instead. I don’t expect anything like that to ever happen again.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
DesertIquana:
...;

taxes-jpg.856483
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the [IRS and the] income tax". Albert Einstein

I had a friend that decided he didn’t want to file taxes even though he was entitled to a refund. That hour per year that he could have spent doing taxes for that 3 year time frame cost him untold months of time. In addition to time lost it was pricey with attorneys and penalties.

I don't understand all that US tax speak, but what I gleaned is he didn't pay due taxes for years, then asked for a government handout and they told him to pound sand?

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Hardly messing with the IRS. Sounds more like mess around and find out.
In Canada during Covid, the Gov't offered up $40K loans to small business owners, for about 4 years (3 years interest free). It's now time to pay the Gov't back. The businesses are upset and saying the Gov't is putting them out of business by asking for the money back with interest as the interest free time has lapsed. They even had the opporutnity to get $10K that they didn't have to pay back, if the balance paid back in a certain time.

If the Gov't hadn't bailed them out 4y ago with the loans, they would already be out of business. And they had the chance to get 25% of that money for free. I'd love a $10K free handout from the Gov't for doing nothing.

All number and dates above are approximate. I don't know the exaact dates/times etc as I am not a small business.

I don't undestand how a business can't figure out that the Gov't will want their loaned money back some day.

Top Bottom