What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

First shave of the Month - Still in

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Schick Platinium (4)
Yaqi Aqua High Mountain Badger
Godrej Shaving Round
Williams Aqua Velva

IMG-DSC_5307 (3).JPG

Cheers :)

I'm new here and want to voice my appreciation for this thread.
Six or seven weeks ago all I had been using since 2019 was a EJ DE89L and Barabsol canned shaving cream, as well as some Derby, Wilkinson Sword, and Feather blades.

Then I ordered a Merkur Futur and Prorasso shaving cream and aftershave. As well as a bowl and brush. Had never used a bowl and brush to lather prior to this.

I was off to the shave races shortly after that.

Merkur 24G, Henson AL13, and a Leaf. More flavors of Prorasso, LEA Classic and Cella lines, a few from Noble Otter, and some Clubman products. Also went from approximately 35 Feather blades to almost 900 various makes of blades after being led to RazorBladeClub.

Over Memorial Day weekend, I ordered more stuff. Even a ten pack of Derby sticks from England.

Last night, as I was checking on shipping status of a couple orders, I saw that I left two 100 packs in my RBC cart.

Thankfully, I did not want to fall out of gentlemanly restraint. That was good.

Good shave to you all!

Still in 🙏🏽

One of the advantages of being a long hauler after Covid is that it drains so much energy, you can't be bothered with the effort it takes to scan the Internet for shaving goodies. May was the easiest GRUME so far 😆
This condition is as much a fysical as a mental challenge. I had a relapse I did not expect. My sister's shrink wanted me to join a session to discuss the troublesome youth we suffered. I usualy am quite able to digest those memories, but this time it consumed about all my energy, leaving me drained and exhausted. Took me four days to recover.

Anyway: I feel rather well now, and had a relaxed shave with the FOCS, loaded with a Nacet. I would have guessed this combination would scythe five days of stubble, but after a nice WTG, ATG felt like shaving with an extremely mild kit. Maybe the blade was a dud. On the other hand, these days I shave one, maybe two times a week and use my war equipment like the Le Coq Cagehead to attack longer stubble. The FOCS might be an excellent razor, but not among the best and most efficient among my razors. I was disappointed, but maybe I have too high expectations of this Fatip.
The shave was only enjoyable thanks to the brilliant Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush and the best scenting cream out there. This being the Ach Brito Mugno, a gift from our friend @Guido75

View attachment 1663785
Hugs, Jack!

First June GRUME shave post! We had a very early departure yesterday so I did a quick touch up with the electric razor. In the hotel I got a proper shave with my 1958 Superspeed (AKA TV Special). A 9 out of 10. Although the super speed is known as a mild razor, I noted that it’s a tad more aggressive than my Gillette tech.

@Guido75 I don’t know if you ever got an answer. I have always thought the purchase date should be the day of commitment to the sale. Technically, even if one paid for it with a credit card on that date, it wouldn’t be actually paid for by the buyer until the buyer paid the credit card bill later. That’s probably too fine a point to consider, but my thought is the sell date is when the transaction or commitment is made. That being said, I don’t think that is how the rules have been interpreted in the past. (I hope I am wrong on this last point.)

First June GRUME shave post! We had a very early departure yesterday so I did a quick touch up with the electric razor. In the hotel I got a proper shave with my 1958 Superspeed (AKA TV Special). A 9 out of 10. Although the super speed is known as a mild razor, I noted that it’s a tad more aggressive than my Gillette tech.

@Guido75 I don’t know if you ever got an answer. I have always thought the purchase date should be the day of commitment to the sale. Technically, even if one paid for it with a credit card on that date, it wouldn’t be actually paid for by the buyer until the buyer paid the credit card bill later. That’s probably too fine a point to consider, but my thought is the sell date is when the transaction or commitment is made. That being said, I don’t think that is how the rules have been interpreted in the past. (I hope I am wrong on this last point.)
Hi LJ, I like your way of reasoning and that is the case for GRUYERE, but GRUME has a different interpretation. Amd it’s ok. I don’t feel I have failed or anything, just an inconvenient timing difference. I could have started the process a bit earlier in May and have it over with long before June.

Even when I am not in GRUME I am still in GRUME. I like the group too much and you all keep me at least a little in check before hauling a motherload of razors and soaps into the house.

Thanks,

Guido

My first GRUME adventure and my first shave in GRUME last night.

1.5 days of growth

Razor : Lambda iAthena
Blade : Nacet (4)
Pre Shave : Shower, using shampoo and conditioner on my whiskers as well as hair
Soap : MdC Nature
Brush : Zenith 506 (wood) unbleached boar
Aftershave: None

Another amazing shave with the iAthena. I've now settled on MdC Nature as my only soap for now, alternating between two Zenith boars - the one above and the other is a 502 (jade resin) bleached boar.

I'm going to continue until around mid-month only using the iAthena and then start to introduce the Green Cult 2.0 back into the mix for the rest of the month - I think I've almost dialled in the iAthena now and getting consistently awesome shaves. I picked up a couple of Techs last month so I might try those in the mix next month - probably in GRUME July by then :thumbup1:

Not so good at getting decent photos of my kit but will try in the coming days to liven the posts up a bit.
Here we go then - like I say, I'm not very good at the close up photography thing but here's my best attempt - the kit I used last night.....

tempImager9eboU.png

Fairly minimalist compared to some - but perfect for me :biggrin1:

Hello!

Haven't done a GRUME in a few months, but checking in with the regulars. Glad to see that @Roedeer got his Twig. It's a great and super easy to use razor. I did not love the blades that came with it and get better results with a Feather typically.

I haven't done much purchasing over the last few months. Bought 2 more creams in my search for the best one to use either with or without a brush. In fact, I have put several razors in storage and am only using three these days (GC, Twig, Super Speed). Also, the LOTH has helped me cull my aftershaves down to just a few regulars. The "den" is now of reasonable size. I am not a minimalist but am a fan of simplicity.

Take care!

Shave #1
- Still In -

• AOS Bourbon - SOTM
  • Adam Grooming's Pure Badger
  • TI Spartacus 5/8"
  • Muhle R89
  • Rapira Swedish Supersteel (4)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Nivea Protect & Care 2-in-1 Splash
This was my Father's Day gift from last year, so figure it's a great option for June's SOTM
Like other AOS that I have used, find this one to be very silky, slick, and protective.
I find the Scent has lasting power, so a muted or unscented splash is a must.

full

Top Bottom