What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

CWCID Update:

1) FoolishMortal - Forever?, SOTMC
2) Chef455 - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
3) mr_eleven
4) Multum in parvo
5) Roedeer
6) Wgg2017
7) LJBraaten - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
8) The Blackadder
9) JAHE - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
10) silverlifter
11) hopper_64
12) GuidoTheGhost75
13) Iver
14) Balin - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
15) PersistentlyBlunt
16) JWCowboy
17) Tjsgarden - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
18) La Malice - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
19) V12Stu
20) Beto Salatini
21) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) FL shaver
23) Chriwilson - SOTMC
24) Den Fly
25) Trollky
26) Sandorfi - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
27) Doti B
28) TOVT
29) Jack Goossen
30) elmo_koffman - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
31) Abz88
32) ESHEBERT
33) Ribitski23

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I spent all of May using my British Gillette FB NEW w/ the Importé d'Angleterre stamp and got to know this little beauty very well. Today, I switched back to my British Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid - the razor I was using for the past 8 years.

Call this a Razor War! if you wish but what happens in June will likely shape my shaves for the next 8 years or more. Today the Hybrid, tomorrow the FB NEW, and so on and so on until Friday, June 30, 2023. And in case you're wondering I only use Haslinger Sheep's Milk soap and Wizamet Super Iridium blades.

btw - the Hybrid did not disappoint - it gave me the crazy fun close shave that I've come to expect from it.

View attachment 1664062

:sailor:
love this photo

I am in.

1) FoolishMortal - Forever?, SOTMC
2) Chef455 - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
3) mr_eleven
4) Multum in parvo
5) Roedeer
6) Wgg2017
7) LJBraaten - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
8) The Blackadder
9) JAHE - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
10) silverlifter
11) hopper_64
12) GuidoTheGhost75
13) Iver
14) Balin - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
15) PersistentlyBlunt
16) JWCowboy
17) Tjsgarden - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
18) La Malice - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
19) V12Stu
20) Beto Salatini
21) cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) FL shaver
23) Chriwilson - SOTMC
24) Den Fly
25) Trollky
26) Sandorfi - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
27) Doti B
28) TOVT
29) Jack Goossen
30) elmo_koffman - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
31) Abz88
32) ESHEBERT
33) Ribitski23
34) Jayson74
35)

Day 1, 3.3% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Leaf Twig, Twig half-blade #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Got my Twig in the post this morning (bought in May), so this was its test drive. I loaded one of the half-blades provided. The loading mechanism is like a TTO with only one bay door.

I think it wants the head to be used almost flat on your skin, with the handle held at 45°. Did a WTG and XTG face shave, and a more cautious WTG neck shave.

Got a passable result, without any nicks. The Leaf blade was sharp, but not particularly smooth. I'd probably get on better with half an Astra.

If I'd only used cartridge razors, and wanted a way of baling out, this should be a fairly easy one. ✓

Last edited:
Date
02.06.2023​
365 daily shaves
153/365​
GRUYERE
153/363​
GRUME June
01/29​
SOTMC
02/30​
High Efficiency June
02/30​

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW FBGillette Black (24+25)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Not in and dabbling along. Nothing bought either. Awaiting a NEW SC I scored in mid May.

Nice shave today and plenty effective too. Not as effective as my high end efficiency razors, but very nice.

Subsequent to the face shave I used my Greencult 2.0 II for the head shave. Amazingly effective. Two passes and smoothness around.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in 🙂

I continue with LEA Classic shaving cream and I got maybe 2 more weeks of shaves left. Great shaves shaves, so I'm not thinking about rotating soaps/creams. I also continue to enjoy Tatara Muramasa. Overall, lately my shaves are "boring" as I don't feel like switching gear or soap, but what a great shave I have 😃 I'm also thinning down my stash which is nice.
Stay safe guys.

2023-06-01 22.23.09.jpg

Preshave- none
Soap - Cella Red
Brush - Semogue 620 Boar
Razor - 59 Fatboy w/ Nacet (1)
Aftershave- Bay Rum
Shave 10/10 BBS

First shave back home; first shave with my Fatboy since Chris at BRG worked his magic on it. Excellent shave, I did nothing extra here, no preshave No mirror, didn’t need any Alum. Just sat in the jet tub and relaxed. Shaved by feel, which is pretty enjoyable if you never tried it. If I could give it an 11/10 I would.

Attachments

• 56C9C9A3-6C05-48CD-8627-A94257B88C28.jpeg
    56C9C9A3-6C05-48CD-8627-A94257B88C28.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
My first GRUME adventure and my first shave in GRUME last night.

1.5 days of growth

Razor : Lambda iAthena
Blade : Nacet (4)
Pre Shave : Shower, using shampoo and conditioner on my whiskers as well as hair
Soap : MdC Nature
Brush : Zenith 506 (wood) unbleached boar
Aftershave: None

Another amazing shave with the iAthena. I've now settled on MdC Nature as my only soap for now, alternating between two Zenith boars - the one above and the other is a 502 (jade resin) bleached boar.

I'm going to continue until around mid-month only using the iAthena and then start to introduce the Green Cult 2.0 back into the mix for the rest of the month - I think I've almost dialled in the iAthena now and getting consistently awesome shaves. I picked up a couple of Techs last month so I might try those in the mix next month - probably in GRUME July by then :thumbup1:

Not so good at getting decent photos of my kit but will try in the coming days to liven the posts up a bit.

First GRUME post for me.

Shave this morning(no pic).
Razor:Leaf Twig
Blade:Timor(2)
Brush:WCS 24mm Tuxedo
Pre:RazoRock preshave soap lime
Soap:C.O. Bigelow

I find that with soaps like C.O. Bigelow and Proraso the lather dries up faster than others.
Especially compared to my The Goodfellas' Smile puck soap.

Overall Great shave with the Timor.

My first GRUME adventure and my first shave in GRUME last night.

1.5 days of growth

Razor : Lambda iAthena
Blade : Nacet (4)
Pre Shave : Shower, using shampoo and conditioner on my whiskers as well as hair
Soap : MdC Nature
Brush : Zenith 506 (wood) unbleached boar
Aftershave: None

Another amazing shave with the iAthena. I've now settled on MdC Nature as my only soap for now, alternating between two Zenith boars - the one above and the other is a 502 (jade resin) bleached boar.

I'm going to continue until around mid-month only using the iAthena and then start to introduce the Green Cult 2.0 back into the mix for the rest of the month - I think I've almost dialled in the iAthena now and getting consistently awesome shaves. I picked up a couple of Techs last month so I might try those in the mix next month - probably in GRUME July by then :thumbup1:

Not so good at getting decent photos of my kit but will try in the coming days to liven the posts up a bit.
May this be the first GRUME of many 🙂

Top Bottom