What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!
IMG_20230602_181322.jpg

Hi LJ, I like your way of reasoning and that is the case for GRUYERE, but GRUME has a different interpretation. Amd it’s ok. I don’t feel I have failed or anything, just an inconvenient timing difference. I could have started the process a bit earlier in May and have it over with long before June.

Even when I am not in GRUME I am still in GRUME. I like the group too much and you all keep me at least a little in check before hauling a motherload of razors and soaps into the house.

Thanks,

Guido
Yes, I thought so.

Day 2, 6.7% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Back to the Game Changer for a good, easy shave, and it didn't disappoint. A comfortable near-BBS.

It seems that as soon as I enter a GRUME, my temptation button is pressed

While I was out last month, not many things tempted me. Now I'll start spotting things, though...:D

Glad to see that Roedeer got his Twig. It's a great and super easy to use razor. I did not love the blades that came with it and get better results with a Feather typically.

Thanks, @Dodger59. I'll try an Astra SP, they've been OK in all my other razors. The Twig probably deserves a solid week, to get used to the angle.

Date
365 daily shaves
154/365​
GRUYERE
154/363​
GRUME June
02/29​
SOTMC
03/30​
High Efficiency June
03/30​

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLGillette PlatinumOmega Roma
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Haslinger
Sandelholz

Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)7.5/10 (multiple weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (BBS-)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to these shaves:

Still a ghost and nothing bought.

Returning to my number 1 for another check in with the dark blue Gillette Platinums. So far these blades have been semi-ok which is counterintuitive to all the record I see here so I want to check (in with) this blade again. Still semi-ok. Nice end result though.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in - shave number 2 this morning.

1.5 days of growth

Razor : Lambda iAthena
Blade : Nacet (1)
Pre Shave : Shampoo and conditioner in the shower
Soap : MdC Nature
Brush : Zenith 502 (jade resin) bleached boar
Aftershave: None

tempImageHMNzb9.png

All the same as yesterday except a new blade and my other Zenith boar.

The blade was a single blade I bought as part of a blade sample pack a few months ago and not one of the batch of 50 blades in tucks that I've been using over the last couple of weeks. The shave was great but the blade didn't seem as sharp as I expected and it appeared to have some surface rust/discolouration after the shave. Strange. Not worth chancing for the next shave so that blade has gone to the bank. New blade again tomorrow.

Preshave- face scrub, bloom water
Soap - What the Puck (yellow)
Brush - Monster 26 Synthetic
Razor - Henson AL13+++ w/ Nacet (1)
Post Shave - Proraso Red Splash / Nivea Balm
Black Dark Roast Coffee and some good scenery.

10/10 BBS

Impressive first shave wit the AL13+++. It’s right in my sweet spot. Not an aggressive razor but it’s efficient as hell.

Have a great weekend Gents!
04A10DF0-9446-4B4B-8B09-8DDE2038C2E4.jpeg

A958DB8E-39E5-4E1B-9B34-49F0EA17C040.jpeg

Still in.
6-3-23 Saturday

Razor1: Henson ++
Razor2: n/a
Blade1: BIC(4)
Blade2: n/a
Soap: MWF
Brush: Semogue 1305
Pre: Shower
20230603_082432.jpg

Saturday morning shave, 2 days growth. Was going to use both Hensons as I have been, started 3rd pass with the ++ so just carried on. DFS+++.
Cleaned up and put gear away, made a coffee and sat down to record the shave. Dont need any post shave...fantastic!
Going to apply some Clubman anyway tho.
The recent shake-up with Mitchells prompted me to pull it out of the drawer. 1 minute load off a dry puck with a medium damp brush worked a treat. Had a 4th pass of lather left in brush...perfect in my opinion.

Be well
Jay

I just found out about this Terracycle program and it is great! There are many household products in this program, including Brita and Gillette. Even though it has "Gillette" in the title, it accepts all brands of razors and packaging Cartridges, disposal razors, plastic or metal razor tuck boxes, etc. You go to terracycle, establish an account, search Gillette, and click print a mailing label. The mailing labels are free on some programs (Brita included), I am not sure about Gillette. This is especially good news to those of us who might like a particular brand of Blade (e.g. Feather), but had decided not to purchase it again due to the plastic packaging.
Just a quick drop in before catching up after our short holiday. I've mentioned before that I started traditional wet shaving to avoid single use disposable plastics, etc. I just found out about the Terracycle program that recycles a number of household products, you just print a (free) mailing label (see above). I will continue traditional wet shaving, but now I know I can recycle those plastic blade tuck packages or cartridges that I use when I air travel.

Still in! :thumbup:

Orders placed over the Memorial Day weekend have begun arriving. Today was from Barber Supplies. Orders from RBC, Shave Nation, and Amazon due Monday.

The Prorasso Blue creams smell phenomenal! Does Prorasso have a matching aftershave for the Blue? I can't know now.

Received some single edge Derby Premiums in this order. Had hoped they'd fit the LEAF 3-blade I got a couple of weeks ago. Nope. The middle blade position in that razor is a touch too narrow. 4 out of 5 blades did not fit in there, even the LEAF SE blades that came with it. Those weren't as bad as the others, but still, the blade had to bend to fit in. No way I'm rubbing that on my head. So, email sent to company, will test their return/refund program.

Lilac Vegetal also arrived in this order. It smells like the hotels from my trip to India several years ago.

In researching the definition of Treewhaling; it seems I've been in rather a season of Treewhaling since early April! :laugh:

At least I'm returning something. Maybe I'll post a picture of pre-April vs early June. :blink:

This Lilac Veg is growing on me already! 👃

Top Bottom