What's new

Introduction and Question: What do you use most?

Hi, everyone. I made the jump to DE shaving two weeks ago and I'm never going back to cartridges or electrics again. I've really enjoyed turning what used to be a chore into a ritual, and I can't believe how much better my face feels for it. Thanks to you all for your unwitting assistance with my lifestyle change.

Here's what I've got (so far):
- Edwin Jagger DE89, short knurled handle
- Parker Variant (arrived today, haven't used it yet)
- Several 5-blade sample packs (so far I've tried Derby Extra, Derby Premium, and Astra green)
- Haircut & Shave synthetic 24mm extra dense brush
- Proraso green pre-shave cream
- Proraso green shaving cream (tube)
- Proraso white after shave balm
- Clubman Pinaud, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, and Brut after shaves

I face lather and use cold water throughout, after a hot shower. So far I don't think I can tell much difference in the blades, but I'm leaning toward the Derby Premium. I've been shaving every 1-2 days, two passes with the grain, two shaves per blade. I have a history of neck irritation, which has greatly diminished with DE shaving. I'll add an against-the-grain pass next week, after I feel more acclimated.

I can already see myself buying several more razors and accessories, and wondering ahed to what my go-to setup might look like when I've finally got some experience under my belt. Which brings me to my question for those of you who have been at it a while...

What combination of razor and accessories do you find yourself reaching for most?

I've found in other hobbies and interests that my go-to item isn't necessarily my most prized, or most ornate, or even my favorite, but rather it's the item I know I can always expect to perform predictably. Just wondering if some of you feel similarly about your shaving gear.

That's it for my first post. Thanks for being a great resource!

Hi, everyone. I made the jump to DE shaving two weeks ago and I'm never going back to cartridges or electrics again. I've really enjoyed turning what used to be a chore into a ritual, and I can't believe how much better my face feels for it. Thanks to you all for your unwitting assistance with my lifestyle change.

Here's what I've got (so far):
- Edwin Jagger DE89, short knurled handle
- Parker Variant (arrived today, haven't used it yet)
- Several 5-blade sample packs (so far I've tried Derby Extra, Derby Premium, and Astra green)
- Haircut & Shave synthetic 24mm extra dense brush
- Proraso green pre-shave cream
- Proraso green shaving cream (tube)
- Proraso white after shave balm
- Clubman Pinaud, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, and Brut after shaves

I face lather and use cold water throughout, after a hot shower. So far I don't think I can tell much difference in the blades, but I'm leaning toward the Derby Premium. I've been shaving every 1-2 days, two passes with the grain, two shaves per blade. I have a history of neck irritation, which has greatly diminished with DE shaving. I'll add an against-the-grain pass next week, after I feel more acclimated.

I can already see myself buying several more razors and accessories, and wondering ahed to what my go-to setup might look like when I've finally got some experience under my belt. Which brings me to my question for those of you who have been at it a while...

What combination of razor and accessories do you find yourself reaching for most?

I've found in other hobbies and interests that my go-to item isn't necessarily my most prized, or most ornate, or even my favorite, but rather it's the item I know I can always expect to perform predictably. Just wondering if some of you feel similarly about your shaving gear.

That's it for my first post. Thanks for being a great resource!

Sounds like you have a good setup. Learn how to use them, and you will never have to buy anything different. Ignore this advice, and you will find rabbit holes without bottoms.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'll bring an oft used and always true bit of B&B wisdom to the table. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Some people prefer a more aggressive razor or blade while others seek a milder option. Some forgo aftershave in favor of balm. Others prefer creams to soap. The long and the short of it is that it's very difficult to suggest what you should try next unless you perhaps phrased the question a bit differently. For instance, "I really like my EJ but I'd like to try a razor that's a bit more aggressive." If you give us a frame of reference then you're sure to get a much more useful response. Otherwise the responses will just be all over the map. I like variety personally and shave with something different almost every shave. Others are minimalist and have one razor that does daily duty...either way we can better serve your needs with a bit more context (we love offering advice on the products we prefer!). We're glad to have you and welcome to the wide world of traditional shaving!

I'll bring an oft used and always true bit of B&B wisdom to the table. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). Some people prefer a more aggressive razor or blade while others seek a milder option. Some forgo aftershave in favor of balm. Others prefer creams to soap. The long and the short of it is that it's very difficult to suggest what you should try next unless you perhaps phrased the question a bit differently. For instance, "I really like my EJ but I'd like to try a razor that's a bit more aggressive." If you give us a frame of reference then you're sure to get a much more useful response. Otherwise the responses will just be all over the map. I like variety personally and shave with something different almost every shave. Others are minimalist and have one razor that does daily duty...either way we can better serve your needs with a bit more context (we love offering advice on the products we prefer!). We're glad to have you and welcome to the wide world of traditional shaving!
Sound advise!

Otherwise the responses will just be all over the map.

Thanks, brandaves. I've given the same advice in many other forums, but I'm actually looking for varied responses. I like to research on my own and decide what to try next (hours of falling down rabbit holes is the best part), and I think asking about favorites is a great way to help understand how gravity works in the community. I'm really aiming to satisfy curiosity more than solicit advice.

Thanks, brandaves. I've given the same advice in many other forums, but I'm actually looking for varied responses. I like to research on my own and decide what to try next (hours of falling down rabbit holes is the best part), and I think asking about favorites is a great way to help understand how gravity works in the community. I'm really aiming to satisfy curiosity more than solicit advice.

Well, since you want specifics, I'm a minimalist. I shave every day. Average whiskers, average face. I've been shaving for almost a year.

Razor: Van der Hagan short handle. By far the best razor made for those who have the skills to use a mild razor.
Brush: Cremo Horsehair. Works great with Williams Mug Soap.
Blades: Gillette Wilkinson Sword and Astra SP. Both are equals. I bought 100 of each when I started. I get about 30 shaves/blade
Soap: Williams Mug Soap. Great soap for those with the skills to use it. It's the only soap I have
AS: Mennan Skin Bracer because my father used it.

brandaves

Ah, that makes good sense! I just want to make sure you're getting the right info. I'd hate to see someone new to the hobby show up and accidentally be steered toward a set up that puts them off the hobby.

In your case, I'll chime in and suggest you try some vintage options if you aren't adverse to the prospect. There are so many excellent shavers that are literal works of art that stand the test of time. As an added bonus many can be found cheaply such as the Gillette Tech, Schick Injector or a Gem Micromatic. Vintage razors are my "go to". There's so much variety in them.

Enjoy the journey, RAD catches fast!

As an added bonus many can be found cheaply such as the Gillette Tech, Schick Injector or a Gem Micromatic.

I've had a couple of glances at Gillette offerings on eBay, but I have no idea what I'm looking at yet. I was thinking a birth year (1968) model might be nice. I'll have to do some more research.

The equipage I use the most (and most enjoy using) turns out to be some of my least-expensive purchases:

'53 Gillette Super Speed
'60 Gillette Flare Tip
Omega boar brush
Fine soaps
vintage Avon aftershaves
drug store aftershaves (Old Spice, Barbasol Brisk, Clubman...)

Disclaimer:
YMMV and these are not meant to be suggestions for you.
(but everyone should have at least one vintage Super Speed) :devil:

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

brandaves

(everyone should have at least one vintage Super Speed) :devil:
+1 The Super Speed has many variations and all the ones I've used have been nice shavers. They're easy to find and can be had cheap in most cases...as an added bonus you could get a birth year Super Speed!

That's it for my first post.
Welcome to a respectable addiction! There's a ton of advice out here. I think you have a great beginning set up. As someone who does not like shaving ATG, consider the across-the-grain (XTG) (sideways) after your WTG. It really helped me get a closer, more comfortable shave.

I know this is also in the razor forum, but check out blade sample sites like tryablade, and the soap companies/retailers that offer samples. Enjoy the beginning of the adventure. In four months, we can talk about the five razors you have, 10 tubs of soap, four brushes, sets of 100+ blades, etc. :)

What do I use most? Karve razor, Murphy & McNeil soap, brush with a synbad knot, and either a matching aftershave or Stirling's Unscented aftershave with menthol.

Last edited:
I’m deep down a few rabbit holes. Right now I find myself reaching for my Gillette New Short Comb, and My Gillette Fat Handle Triangle Slot Tech. Love Bic and Wilkinson Sword Blades. Omega Boar Brush, Williams Mug Shaving Soap and Proraso Blue Shave Cream. Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream most times. Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue or Fine Santal Absolut.

Top Bottom