What's new

Who do you prefer?

Adjustable over Fixed Single Gap Razor?

Was think after using Vintage Slim today, in my hand I hold 5 or more choices, add blades you got many possibilities.

Still use old beat up Tech, but choices is that choice if beard grew extra day.

So what your choice Fixed, or Adjustable?

Adjustable razors are fine, but I find 3-piece razors to be much better. It really depends on how a person is using an adjustable razor, because some of us just find the right setting (usually the highest) and stay on it, while others use different settings depending on the days of growth or for the different passes.

After trying most of the high-end adjustable razors on the market, I came to the conclusion that some of them are really good, but they are still far behind my most favorite 3-piece razors not only in terms of shaving, but they are also bulky and not as nimble as I would like and for that reason, I'm no longer interested in buying adjustable razors.

With that being said, it all comes down to personal preference and finding the right razor for you and that comes with practice.

Think the one advantage of Adjustable is person with tough beard, or person who say went camping for weekend.

Did not shave for few days can get benefit of variation adjustable offered.

I am sort of surprised the market still offer fixed blades, with all the high end Adjustables.

As you can see by this thread, most people prefer a fixed razor.
A handful of people in a specific forum isn't exactly a reliable market survey.
Personally prefer an adjustable over all others as long as it's widely adjustable. A Gillette Fatboy on 9 is still a mild shave compared to other adjustables. Then you have L'Essor, LeCoq and Gibbs that open the gap up literally to half an inch, or down to nothing.
Someone commented adjustables are bulky, depends on which you choose. My LeCoq Licence Palmer is smaller than a 3pc Rex Envoy, and many others for that matter. I'd.argue you won't find a better shaver, vintage or new.

Fixed, why ...
With plenty of razors in my arsenal, why would need an adjustable?
Years back, playing baseball gave me the idea.
In general for pitching, you have starters, relievers & closers.
Normally I will shave two razors, a starter and a closers.
Also my dad once being a master carpenter/ Boston union , would use many great tools to get a job done.
Objective mapped into me.....have the right tool or tools for the job!
There are not rules here, use the best tools to get the best job done efficiency and also why not have with some fun doing it.
I may start with a slant - G37 ( the starter), execute one or two great passes.
Then some little touch up with the GC84..
Done w/ fun..
Many more examples but you get my drift ( maybe or not).
So basically my den(s) is one big adjustable. Not one spring inside any of them in the den(s).
Now I can see that an adjustable can certainly work well and attract others. Like that adjustable wench....

Bottom-line..
Find the best tools that work for you and your face
Enjoy it,
BFX

Should be poll so we can easily see the result.

I have never tried an adjustable and have no desire for it. I like my razors mild.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a Slim and a Mergress, but I prefer the fixed blades for no apparent reason - or at least none I can articulate at the moment. Both excellent, just a ymmv thing.

Fixed.

For more complex shaves, use two or more different razors.
Like OC to start with, and SB to round off.

Or gentle to start with and more close to touch up.

I like the simplicity of a fixed type, particularly a 3 piece. But I’ll admit that my ‘78 Superadjustable 109 gives me my most enjoyable DE shaves.

Top Bottom