What's new

Razorock SLOC BBS

Yaqi and DSCosmetics copy a lot of existing designs, and mostly they copy RazoRock, so let me link their quite useful "aggression" list. You are right now there with the Razorock SLOC:

View attachment 1784780
Image Source: RazoRock Razor Scale - The Bottom is the Mildest and The Top is the Mo – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale - Italian Barber is basically Razorock and Canada based, they sell other articles as well though.

With the SLOC you are right now DEAD CENTER in medium. Hmm! :)

Razors to try:
Game Changer .84P (it's a SB, the P stands for... I have forgotten it again)
Lupo .95 SB or OC. I prefer OC.

The Yaqi copy of the Lupo is called Vostok, the Game Changer .84 is called DSCosmetic S9. The S9 even has a slightly improved baseplate design and a fancy scalloped cap available.

The Duomo reminds me of a somewhat more aggressive Fatip. For Fatip, I would start right away with their best, their "Lo Storto" Slant.

The Wunderbar and Superslant razors are the love child of a Razorock founder, and they are exceptional. But they might also not be for everyone, so better try some other razors first. The Lo Storto is a good check if you like Slants.

If you lust for an adjustable, they were never quite my thing for reasons I cannot quite figure out myself, but the Parker Variant OC seems to be very good.

Edit: Mühle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 316 are also always worth a try!
Mate, That Information is Gold. Thanks so much for taking he trouble to post it. Grateful my friend.

@megamac have you considered checking some vintage/antique shops in your area for razors? At this stage I wouldn’t spend more than $20 but you might find something you really like once it’s cleaned up. Many of the commonly found vintage Gillettes are fairly mild pleasant shavers.
I live in Singapore where Antiques and Vintage are a real scarcity and that includes Cars and Bikes, kinda sad. I did however manage to pick up a 1963 Gillette Slim in near perfect condition for 30 USD. Yet to shave with it but it is older than me and a sheer work of art and engineering.

Ah ok, gotcha. Good luck and keep us posted!
I live in Singapore where Antiques and Vintage are a real scarcity and that includes Cars and Bikes, kinda sad. I did however manage to pick up a 1963 Gillette Slim in near perfect condition for 30 USD. Yet to shave with it but it is older than me and a sheer work of art and engineering.

Glad to hear this! Sounds like it is working very well for you. I ordered one of these Razorock SLOC a few weeks back too but I'm yet to try it. I'd been under the weather so grooming wasn't really on top of the list. 🤭 But I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive!

Like you say, I love how it looks also. It's a very mean looking razor! 😁 I think the idea is the upper comb collects water and it drips out during the stroke essentially self lubricating. I like the idea of this. Depending on which soap I'm using, I'll sometimes drip a little water from my fingertips above where I'm going to shave to aid it.. sort of doing the same thing.

I think mine has the Bulldog handle too. I just checked.. it doesn't. I forgot, it came with the "Super Grip" or whatever it's called.. the one with three sections of knurling. However, I ordered a Bulldog handle with it too as it's always good to have a selection of handles too!

I think Razorock have some really nice razors at nice price point. I also have the Razorock 37 German which came with the HD handle and I think it is a fantastic little shaver. Honestly one of my favourite razors and it only costs like £25. I'd highly recommend picking one of those up sometime too if you have any interest. Great bang for buck and an excellent introduction to slants for anyone like me who was curious about trying one but not looking to spend a huge amount.

Glad to hear this! Sounds like it is working very well for you. I ordered one of these Razorock SLOC a few weeks back too but I'm yet to try it. I'd been under the weather so grooming wasn't really on top of the list. 🤭 But I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive!

Like you say, I love how it looks also. It's a very mean looking razor! 😁 I think the idea is the upper comb collects water and it drips out during the stroke essentially self lubricating. I like the idea of this. Depending on which soap I'm using, I'll sometimes drip a little water from my fingertips above where I'm going to shave to aid it.. sort of doing the same thing.

I think mine has the Bulldog handle too. I just checked.. it doesn't. I forgot, it came with the "Super Grip" or whatever it's called.. the one with three sections of knurling. However, I ordered a Bulldog handle with it too as it's always good to have a selection of handles too!

I think Razorock have some really nice razors at nice price point. I also have the Razorock 37 German which came with the HD handle and I think it is a fantastic little shaver. Honestly one of my favourite razors and it only costs like £25. I'd highly recommend picking one of those up sometime too if you have any interest. Great bang for buck and an excellent introduction to slants for anyone like me who was curious about trying one but not looking to spend a huge amount.
Mate, You are going to love the SLOC.Use a Feather and you'll get a BBS in two passes. it was amazing. Loved it so much that I'm really keen on getting a YAQI Mellon in Stainless Steel to make it a complete SS Razor. You are bang on about the Razorock Handles, what value at the price point, amazing. Keeping the budget in check with Eachnew Razor just makes it possible to experiment and experience a lot more.

I'd love to know more about the Razorock 37 German Slant, is it mid aggressive or mild ? I'm tempted to get one too.

I did love the post shave with the SLOC. You're right about an open comb being different. It is my first time with one and was just surprised with the BBS on nine days of growth, my facial strands are not too thick but the growth was heavy. I'm very tempted to get a Fatip.
Incidentally I picked up the Muhle R41 head at a sale in November but after reading many reviews, i returned it and picked up an R89 at a really good price. the balance and weight of the R89 is nice and its so easy to use on auto pilot but it doesn't get too close which is why i tried the SLOC and love it now.
I wonder if that SLOC top cap would fit the R89? I might just check it out and see. If anything positive I will report back.

Memory came back to me in my sleep. I think this combo will simulate the Yaqi Beast and I remember that shave was pretty scary. So guess I won't try this combo out of fear of the shave.
Actually no Mate. I've used the SLOC a few different handles including a Ti Destroyer by DS Cosmetics. Not an issue at all. I was worried when I first picked up the SLOC but a few strokes in and I knew this was going to be one smooth and close shave. I used it with a Feather and maybe teh Blade helped too. I haven't tried it with a Nacet or a Personna. As I said earlier, I loved the Razor so much that I went out and ordered a YAQI Mellon 316 SS.

Actually no Mate. I've used the SLOC a few different handles including a Ti Destroyer by DS Cosmetics. Not an issue at all. I was worried when I first picked up the SLOC but a few strokes in and I knew this was going to be one smooth and close shave. I used it with a Feather and maybe teh Blade helped too. I haven't tried it with a Nacet or a Personna. As I said earlier, I loved the Razor so much that I went out and ordered a YAQI Mellon 316 SS.
I believe the Yaqi Beast is much different from the Yaqi Mellon, but I could be wrong, as I sometimes am. I don't think I would be happy with the Yaqi Beast, too aggressive, but probably would like the Yaqi Mellon.

I believe the Yaqi Beast is much different from the Yaqi Mellon, but I could be wrong, as I sometimes am. I don't think I would be happy with the Yaqi Beast, too aggressive, but probably would like the Yaqi Mellon.
Give it a shot Mate, you'll love it. The Mellon is smooth, gentle and efficient. It gets the done job and it is kinda exciting to use every single time. I still marvel at the finishing and the quality of it every time.

I hope the Mellon SS works out, reportedly more aggressive than the zamac Mellon and how that one compares to the Razorock SLOC, no idea.
The Mellon SS was probably one of the best things I've bought after the S9 and Iridian, I owe that to ya. The shaves with these two are so close and comfy that it's now hard for me to go back to the Rockwell. I mean, I do love the 6S and have total respect for the quality product it is but the Razorock Originals and the Chinese offerings are like an adventurous journey to embark on.

The Yaqi SS Mellon beats the Zamak version with efficiency and smoothness. It's a keeper for me.

I'm on to the DScosmetic AX-SEand had a mind blowing shave with Plate One. I still have to try the next two plates but would love any advice on which SS I should pick up, The Yaqi Sentinel or the DS AX and with what blade gap respectively. I found the Zamak AX on plate one to be really mild but efficient.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I'm on to the DScosmetic AX-SEand had a mind blowing shave with Plate One. I still have to try the next two plates but would love any advice on which SS I should pick up, The Yaqi Sentinel or the DS AX and with what blade gap respectively. I found the Zamak AX on plate one to be really mild but efficient.
There is a slight catch with the DSCosmetic AX-SE. They apparently switched the mid plate with the high plate, as @Halfbeard figured out. The "mid" plate had a higher gap than the medium for him. Yeah, no kidding. So please keep that in mind and check if this is also the case for your razor. You might be able to eyeball it without need to measure with a feeler gauge.

Let's see how much you like the highest gap AX-SE first. If you would still like a bit more, the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC is very nice, I just shaved with it. But it is fairly aggressive!

If you happen to fall in love with one the AX plates, no reason not to get it in Ti or SS.

On the other hand, you could get a Blackbird, a Timeless, the Lambdas, a SuperSlant... lots of razors you could still explore.

Determining how aggressive you like it by trying all three plates will help you figure out which razors qualify and which not.

There is a slight catch with the DSCosmetic AX-SE. They apparently switched the mid plate with the high plate, as @Halfbeard figured out. The "mid" plate had a higher gap than the medium for him. Yeah, no kidding. So please keep that in mind and check if this is also the case for your razor. You might be able to eyeball it without need to measure with a feeler gauge.

Let's see how much you like the highest gap AX-SE first. If you would still like a bit more, the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC is very nice, I just shaved with it. But it is fairly aggressive!

If you happen to fall in love with one the AX plates, no reason not to get it in Ti or SS.

On the other hand, you could get a Blackbird, a Timeless, the Lambdas, a SuperSlant... lots of razors you could still explore.

Determining how aggressive you like it by trying all three plates will help you figure out which razors qualify and which not.
I did love the Shave with the DS AX SE but it was with plate 1 and i felt like there was no blade using a Wizamet Iridium. The Iridium didn't work for me in the S9 though. The Persona Lab Comfort coated worked like magic in the S9. Will keep in mind your advice on the mid and high plate.

Iridian my buddy, I owe it to you and Ron as well that i saved a ton of money by picking up the S9 and even the Zamak AX. I wish I could afford the Blackbird or Timeless or the Lambdas.

My next Razor would be one of the two either the Sentinel or the AX SS. I know that you love your Yaqi Sentinel OC. And further I'd love to pick up a Slant.

Really wanted to get the Mr. Fine Aluminium Slant. Borrowed it from a friend and loved the way it shaves. But sadly, its out of production and no one seems to be selling a USED one. Wrote in 15 times to Ikon about whether they could ship their X3 slant to Singapore as they mentioned that for global shipping, one needs to get in touch with them. But haven't heard back from them at all. Came across the G.B.S Slant but couldn't get any information on it by someone who has used it. I did think of the Wunderbar and the Superslants but wasn't sure if they'd work for me. I have the German 37 and its a top quality shaver but somehow lacks the X factor for me. To be fair If I found the a USED Fine Aluminium Slant, I'd just be happy with it.

Talk about a Rabbit hole and I also looked at the Karve CB but wasn't sure which one would work for me. The DScosmetic V92 and 95 piqued my interest as don't have a Brass Razor but thought that the similarity to the S9 was a bit much.

I am on a similar journey. Today I had my first shave with a Yaqi Mellon SS and it was great, even with a Feather blade, which loves my blood. In a few weeks, I should receive a Sentinel 1.5 OC and the DSCosmetic Zamak Ax to try the different gaps and choose the right SS version of it later. I also have @Iridian to blame 😂

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I should receive a Sentinel 1.5 OC and the DSCosmetic Zamak Ax to try the different gaps and choose the right SS version of it later. I also have @Iridian to blame 😂
I ordered a Bohemia + pin stand today, let's see how this will turn out! :)
Glad you like the Mellon SS. Which handle did you get/use?
DSCosmetic just ran out of AX/Poleaxe heads, only 1.55 Ti left.
They had a very Chinese English conversation with @megamac and we put together what she said and agreed that they will change some issues with the steel AX heads, they were a bit tight and the blade hard to load/unload, this will be adjusted in the next batch, but they don't know themselves when they will have finished the next batch.

They had a very Chinese English conversation with @megamac and we put together what she said and agreed that they will change some issues with the steel AX heads, they were a bit tight and the blade hard to load/unload, this will be adjusted in the next batch, but they don't know themselves when they will have finished the next batch.
I grabbed a Mellon with a Timeless Ti Spiral handle from BST. Great combo!
Yes, I saw that. Initially they had the 1.35 in Ti and now they loaded the 1.55 but everything else is gone. I almost bought the 1.35 Ti, but I really love the combination of SS heads and titanium handles, so I'll figure what I prefer with the Zamak version and then go for SS when they are back

I am on a similar journey. Today I had my first shave with a Yaqi Mellon SS and it was great, even with a Feather blade, which loves my blood. In a few weeks, I should receive a Sentinel 1.5 OC and the DSCosmetic Zamak Ax to try the different gaps and choose the right SS version of it later. I also have @Iridian to blame 😂
Hi Chelko,
So Iridian was the first one to communicate with me on the blog followed by halfbeard, Blethenstrom, Jay21 and beefdrippings. Their insights and advice was Gold but yeah, i I had to title a song it would be "Blame It On Iridian". He got me hooked onto the Yaqi SS Mellon, The S9 (One of My Favs) and then onto razors with more blade feel and efficiency. I'm awaiting delivery on the Yaqi 1.5 Sentinel OC too and I know I'm going to love it.

The Dscosmetic AX-SE maybe Zamak and I was OK with plate one but plate two and three are the real deal. I was a tad bit confused with each cause as Iridan quoted Halfbeard's experience, plate 2 has a bigger gap then 3 but I found it the best. smooth as silk and a BBS in two passes, no touch ups. That got me hooked and I can't wait to get a SS or Titanium in 1.55. Totally loved this Razor and even if I was stuck with just the Zamak version, I would enjoy it thoroughly.

A friend loaned me his Wolfman WR 2 for a few days. The smoothness and results with that Razor are just outstanding and I respect their quality and finishing. But honestly, I can't afford one and to quote what Iridian shared with us about another user - the AX 3 plate does shave closest to the Wolfman.

Iridian, you decoded that message. Ha Ha Ha. to be fair, it would be nice to see them introduce a newer version of the AX in SS.

Just off topic, but this is what I love about Jacob Yates. He takes every customer's feedback seriously and reworks the design or the Razor or comes up with options that buyers can explore to modify their Razors like the new stubby handles. That is real customer care in motion. I wish DScosmetic take in the feedback and re work the AX SS. I do love their offerings and respect what they churn out most often.

Totally looking forward to your review on the Bohemia, it looks more like a Weapon from DUNE than a Razor. The only review I saw 0f it was by Subieshaves on youtube and much as I love the bloke, he gushes about every Razor and I'm like...Is he ever going to deliver a real critique on any one of them. Like are there any cons to it.

Reactions: Kix
I grabbed a Mellon with a Timeless Ti Spiral handle from BST. Great combo!
Yes, I saw that. Initially they had the 1.35 in Ti and now they loaded the 1.55 but everything else is gone. I almost bought the 1.35 Ti, but I really love the combination of SS heads and titanium handles, so I'll figure what I prefer with the Zamak version and then go for SS when they are back
Another Razor that iridian spoke of was the Boti Shield 1.15. Unavailable due to the two brands splitting but Boti still has a Defender DE with that gap. Not sure if its the same as the Boti Shield byt it looks similar. Prob is, its frikkin expensive.

On the other hand Shield offers a seperate Handle and DE Head ( 95 mm)

Top Bottom