What's new

Introduction and Question: What do you use most?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Acquisition Disorders are real. I can attest to that. You have a nice set up at the moment. As mentioned by others, learn to use these implements before jumping down any rabbit holes. Technique is the key. Learn to use what you have and in time you can branch out.

I use mostly vintage "Gillette" adjustables and shaving soap from Salus in Ft. Collins, CO and a cheap brush from Walgreens. Blades can vary widely but Derby is the most common.

Be warned, the rabbit hole is deep, it has no end in sight. In fact, many have been lost, never to return. Their bank accounts empty, their families distraught with worry and their names stricken from history.

Traditional shaving with DEs and other shaving tools solves the problem of expensive cartridges and irritation but, as with all things, comes with its own problems, i.e. collecting more than you will ever use in your lifetime so, in that vain, enjoy it, it's fun and rewarding but always have your priorities in line.

Enjoy your journey!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I’m deep down a few rabbit holes. Right now I find myself reaching for my Gillette New Short Comb, and My Gillette Fat Handle Triangle Slot Tech. Love Bic and Wilkinson Sword Blades. Omega Boar Brush, Williams Mug Shaving Soap and Proraso Blue Shave Cream. Proraso Green Pre-shave Cream most times. Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue or Fine Santal Absolut.
That Prewar Tech is an awesome shaver. I used one yesterday and got a fantastic shave.

I used my Edwin Jagger for several years out of about forty razors. Then I got feather ASD2 and retired it. Then I got a timeless bronze with both the solid bar and open comb. That did it for me. I sold my feather to another member and sold almost all my vintage and modern razors on eBay. Currently I have my Edwin Jagger which I will probably pif, my Timeless, a 1946 Gillette milord that is not a good shaver, and a #66 British Gillette aristocrat on the way that I will keep even if I don't like the shave. I also have a Gillette heritage safety razor being delivered tomorrow. It has the same head as the Jagger so it will probably stay in it's case indefinitely.

My advice is this. Stick with your de89 for a while. It is a great razor to learn on. If I didn't have RAD I probably could have used it forever. Try some vintage Gillettes. Techs and super speeds are easy to find cheap. If you have to go adjustable go for the super adjustable, aka black beauty. It is the cheapest of the three, and, shave just as well. I had one from my birth year and quarter and used it for a while. I am the odd man out in that I don't like the shaves off vintages much. I am hoping the Brit aristocrat will be different but I will keep it because it is so damn pretty no matter what. It is easy to go nuts in this hobby. If you want suggestions after knowing this feel free to ask, just know that my suggestions will be mild and mostly artisan soaps and gear.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

At least from my experience, the blades you have tried :Derby Extra, Derby Premium, and Astra SP green are all on the less sharp end of the spectrum. They are good blades for those learning to shave as you are less likely to nick yourself than with some sharper blades. Many people find the Astra SP blades work well for them, but I prefer sharper blades.

I suggest you get a blade sampler pack that has about a dozen brands of blades. That way, you can learn what type of blade works best for you. Some that I would suggest that are a step up from Derby Premium and Astra SP are 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellow, Polsilver, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, and Astra Superior Stainless blue. These are all mid-sharp blades with good reputations with many shavers.

If you find that sharper blades work well for you, you can then try the sharpest blades which include Feather, Permasharp Super, Gillette Nacet, BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black, Personna Israeli Reds, and German Wilkinson Swords. However, I suggest you try the mid-sharp blades listed previously before trying these very sharp ones so that you have time to improve your shaving techniques. Otherwise, you might have an issue with nicks and weepers. Although I love these super sharp blades, not everyone needs to use blades that sharp.

Fell down right where you landed.

After a ton of razors, 40+ soaps/AS sets and 10 brushes, I reach for:

Blackland Blackbird, this is the razor that made me sell all my others.

Usually a Grizzly Bay/Turn N Shave badger, just comfortable shapes for handles.

Either WSP, Barrister and Mann or Declaration Grooming for soaps. Just work for me and my shave.

I have a lot of other stuff, but those are my go to’s 6 out of 7 days of the week.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Oh why not. I have a Stirling Finest badger brush that has served me well since he released them. I just ordered a yaqi two band best badger because I have heard so much good about them and it is pretty. For soaps, barrister and Mann, Chiseled Face, Arianna and Evans, Saponifico Varesino, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and, many others. Blades I love polsilvers, Gillette silver blues, personna med prep or lab blue, Rapira Platinum Lux, Feather, and I just ordered a pack of discontinued Wizamet. Hopefully they are genuine. I have a scuttle and a marble shave bowl, but, generally I face lather.

I sold about $850 in shave gear last month to include razors, soaps, and, aftershaves in order to fund my RAD this month. So I have a lot of new stuff to try this month. In the beginning I was trying to save money on a fixed income, now, I just have an expensive hobby.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Because I have RAD and other related disorders, it changes from time to time for me. But right now it's Timeless TI 95 solid bar, Declaration Grooming Milksteak or Dragonsbeard for shaving soap, Yaqi synthetic shaving brush, and alum block plus various balms for afterwards. It's a wonderful hobby/addiction.

Great progress! Congrats!

Excellent question!

I have pretty much settled on my ‘destination’ razor, a Wolfman WR1/WRH 2 handle. As for blades, I have a top-tier (Personna lab, Personna red, GSB, Nacet and Astra SP), but frequently try others. My current brush rotation includes 6-10 options depending on my mood, mostly badgers. My soaps are many and varied including all 8 Haslinger’s options, MWF, Cella, Vito’s, multiple Fine options, and occasionally MdC. Then there is my AS ‘rotation’ (Clubman, OS, Pitralon classic, Speick, Lucky Tiger, Floid vigoroso, Proraso green, multiple Fine options, the occasional Sterling splash plus a few others in the back of the cabinet).

In summary, I am a ‘minimalist’ by B+B standards!! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Hi, everyone. I made the jump to DE shaving two weeks ago and I'm never going back to cartridges or electrics again. I've really enjoyed turning what used to be a chore into a ritual, and I can't believe how much better my face feels for it. Thanks to you all for your unwitting assistance with my lifestyle change.

Here's what I've got (so far):
- Edwin Jagger DE89, short knurled handle
- Parker Variant (arrived today, haven't used it yet)
- Several 5-blade sample packs (so far I've tried Derby Extra, Derby Premium, and Astra green)
- Haircut & Shave synthetic 24mm extra dense brush
- Proraso green pre-shave cream
- Proraso green shaving cream (tube)
- Proraso white after shave balm
- Clubman Pinaud, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, and Brut after shaves

I face lather and use cold water throughout, after a hot shower. So far I don't think I can tell much difference in the blades, but I'm leaning toward the Derby Premium. I've been shaving every 1-2 days, two passes with the grain, two shaves per blade. I have a history of neck irritation, which has greatly diminished with DE shaving. I'll add an against-the-grain pass next week, after I feel more acclimated.

I can already see myself buying several more razors and accessories, and wondering ahed to what my go-to setup might look like when I've finally got some experience under my belt. Which brings me to my question for those of you who have been at it a while...

What combination of razor and accessories do you find yourself reaching for most?

I've found in other hobbies and interests that my go-to item isn't necessarily my most prized, or most ornate, or even my favorite, but rather it's the item I know I can always expect to perform predictably. Just wondering if some of you feel similarly about your shaving gear.

That's it for my first post. Thanks for being a great resource!

Welcome to B&B! You've got a great setup. No reason to look further, IMHO.

As far as my go to setup, it is very similar to my initial one (34c, SOC boar, MWF, Fine American Blend). I shave daily and I'm all about reliability and familiarity. Here are my two favorite setups:

Razor: Merkur 34c or Progress
Brush: Muhle STF XL or Semogue 1460
Blade: Most of them work well for me.
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat or Tabac
AS: Speick or Fine American Blend (Sometimes I switch to a balm when the weather gets colder)

Sounds like you have a good setup. Learn how to use them, and you will never have to buy anything different. Ignore this advice, and you will find rabbit holes without bottoms.

+1

I find myself reaching for items that I find work and are consistent for me. For me, thats my Feather AS-D2, Kai blades, Yaqi synthetic brush, Stiring soap (scent varies) and Stirling splash aftershave.
Like someone else said though, YMMV.

Blackland blackbird - the best shaving razor I’ve ever used in 13 years of this hobby.

Gillette blue platinum. Ultra premium. Still only $.17/blade

grizzly bay 30mm chub. Shd badger knot.

saponificio varesino soap

saponificio varesino aftershave

Among lots of other stuff.

I stopped counting razors but I guess I have 150-200. I rotate daily but use more often than most ;

Shake Sharp mk1 (BIC, Treet blades)
Stahly (BIC blade)
Enders Speed-Proline blade
Gem Micromatic Open Comb (Gem PTFE)

Brush - Plisson synthetic

Soap - Martin De Candre

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This is great stuff, folks. I’m seeing brands and models of things it would take me months or years to find on my own. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to B&B. That is a great start and your technique will improve to get closer shaves.
I've found in other hobbies and interests that my go-to item isn't necessarily my most prized, or most ornate, or even my favorite, but rather it's the item I know I can always expect to perform predictably. Just wondering if some of you feel similarly about your shaving gear.
The razor and best blade combination evolves but you do end up with benchmark combination. Blades are very subjective so look for your best shaving blade and that will usually suit most of your razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My preference is for mild razors.

These are my Desert Island choices, one item for each category:

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Handle, 26mm "Full Moon" Synthetic
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid, RazoRock Ti Halo Handle
Blade: Kai
Post-shave1: Crystal Thai Alum Stick
Post-shave2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel mixed with Organic Moroccan Rose Water (3:1 ratio)
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Cologne: Original Stetson

Since finding a Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid or my 2nd favorite Tech, the German #34, might take awhile, I would also be perfectly happy with the Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (England), Gillette Pre-war Fat Handle Triangle Slot Tech (Canada) or Gillette 1956 #24 Ball Handle Tech (England). I like to use the RazoRock Halo Ti, Maggard MR11 or MR16 handles with my Techs.

If you are more interested in a brand new razor I really like the Timeless 0.68 SB. I also use the more reasonably priced FaTip Piccolo SE, Karve Brass B-SB or C-SB, RazoRock Game Changer .68 and RazorRock Lupo regularly.

If you want to get a more efficient and 'forward' razor, get a Timeless 0.95 OC, Blackland Blackbird or Dart, an Ikon B1 Standard, a RazoRock Game Changer .84 OC or JAWS, Muhle R41, Gillette Old Type.

Search for Frankenrazor and you should find a couple or so 'mix and match' combinations that can be fun and not cost a bunch of money.

Finally, check out good Single Edge razors like the new RazoRock Black Hawk v2 and vintage GEM Featherweight G Bar.

The only way you will know what works for you is to shave with the razor and see.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

I pretty much shave the same way I always have, although it's gotten a lot more interesting with the addition of a huge plunder pile of shaving stuff that I'm constantly trying to whittle back down to the "basics".

Top Bottom