What's new

Razorock SLOC BBS

Hi All,
I am totally new to the forum and switched from cartridge to a Safety Razor a year ago. I owe much of the knowledge I've garnered on Wet Shaving including Razors, Blades and other accessories to you guys, grateful for the same. My Favorite Razors are the Rockwell 6S, the Gillette Slim 1963 and the Muhle R89. The R89 is my daily driver and I do get a DFS with it using Nacet or 7 o Clock Platinum blades.

My recent acquisition was a Razorock SLOC with a Bulldog handle. Totally love the look and feel of it. Used it for the first time today with a Feather Blade to clean up 9 days of growth and was shocked to get a BBS in two passes. Used an Omega Brush along with the Prorasso White Shaving Tub and Barbasol After Shave Balm. No nicks or cuts or weepers but there was one element of difference as compared to using my Muhle R 89 or My Rockwell 6S, the alum block stung on most parts of the shaved area. Is that normal with an open comb Razor? and should I upgrade to the Stainless Steel Yaqi Mellon to make it an entire SS Razor?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi, welcome!

The Mellon is apparently about the same as the SLOC and the Stainless Steel Mellon is, supposedly, I only own the SS Mellon, a bit more aggressive.

So if you already have some slight irritation, I would NOT go more aggressive.

If skin stings or not is not an OC or SB thing, it is more a way of your skin telling you that you got really close. Some don't like the mild sting, but as long as you don't have itches, rashes or burning after applying alcoholic aftershave. it is all okay!

In fact it is telling you that you got a BBS and as long as the sting doesn't make you wince in pain or persists, it is all as fine as it can get. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

P.S. this does of course not mean that you should not buy other razors. You might in fact get inspired to do so just by reading this forum regularly! :)

Hi, welcome!

The Mellon is apparently about the same as the SLOC and the Stainless Steel Mellon is, supposedly, I only own the SS Mellon, a bit more aggressive.

So if you already have some slight irritation, I would NOT go more aggressive.

If skin stings or not is not an OC or SB thing, it is more a way of your skin telling you that you got really close. Some don't like the mild sting, but as long as you don't have itches, rashes or burning after applying alcoholic aftershave. it is all okay!

In fact it is telling you that you got a BBS and as long as the sting doesn't make you wince in pain or persists, it is all as fine as it can get. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

P.S. this does of course not mean that you should not buy other razors. You might in fact get inspired to do so just by reading this forum regularly! :)
Thanks much Iridian. You're bang on about the closeness, something I hadn't thought of. No rash, swelling, redness or irritation, it's probably the first BBS for me then. Face feels really nice and clean. now thanks to you, I'm going to get the SS Mellon.
What other Yaqi Razor heads are worth checking out and have you used any Fatip Razors, they've always looked attractive but wasn't sure which one to try out?

You had a very close shave and that caused some sting. Not that that is bad in itself as long as irritation did not follow.

The SLOC does take a bit to get used to. If you have never used an oc razor before it is a bit different and you need more shaves to really get the hang of it.

I have a Fatip Grande oc and I love it. However, the first shave I had with it was one of the worst shaves I've had. It is more aggressive than the SLOC but it is certainly something you can get used to. Each razor shaves a bit different and we just have to adjust to be able to use it to is fullest potential.

You had a very close shave and that caused some sting. Not that that is bad in itself as long as irritation did not follow.

The SLOC does take a bit to get used to. If you have never used an oc razor before it is a bit different and you need more shaves to really get the hang of it.

I have a Fatip Grande oc and I love it. However, the first shave I had with it was one of the worst shaves I've had. It is more aggressive than the SLOC but it is certainly something you can get used to. Each razor shaves a bit different and we just have to adjust to be able to use it to is fullest potential.
I did love the post shave with the SLOC. You're right about an open comb being different. It is my first time with one and was just surprised with the BBS on nine days of growth, my facial strands are not too thick but the growth was heavy. I'm very tempted to get a Fatip.
Incidentally I picked up the Muhle R41 head at a sale in November but after reading many reviews, i returned it and picked up an R89 at a really good price. the balance and weight of the R89 is nice and its so easy to use on auto pilot but it doesn't get too close which is why i tried the SLOC and love it now.

I did love the post shave with the SLOC. You're right about an open comb being different. It is my first time with one and was just surprised with the BBS on nine days of growth, my facial strands are not too thick but the growth was heavy. I'm very tempted to get a Fatip.
Incidentally I picked up the Muhle R41 head at a sale in November but after reading many reviews, i returned it and picked up an R89 at a really good price. the balance and weight of the R89 is nice and its so easy to use on auto pilot but it doesn't get too close which is why i tried the SLOC and love it now.
I almost always have the best shaves when I have a few days of growth. I usually shave everyday, but when I do have a few days worth of growth the shave is very often super close and nice. I have wondered about this and I think it is because the skin gets a chance to recover from the normal shave routine.

The Fatip Piccolo/Grande OC are very good value razors. They are made of nickel plated brass nor zamak. Just for that reason they are worth it. You may need a few shaves to get used to the Piccolo/Grande but after that you will be rockin' rollin'. Just pay attention to the blade alignment when tightening the blade down. Some of them are a bit loose on the tolerances. Not a bit deal really, but just so you are aware of it.

I almost always have the best shaves when I have a few days of growth. I usually shave everyday, but when I do have a few days worth of growth the shave is very often super close and nice. I have wondered about this and I think it is because the skin gets a chance to recover from the normal shave routine.

The Fatip Piccolo/Grande OC are very good value razors. They are made of nickel plated brass nor zamak. Just for that reason they are worth it. You may need a few shaves to get used to the Piccolo/Grande but after that you will be rockin' rollin'. Just pay attention to the blade alignment when tightening the blade down. Some of them are a bit loose on the tolerances. Not a bit deal really, but just so you are aware of it.
Thanks very much for the advice on the Fatip. If you had to choose one between the Piccolo or the Grande what would it be? I also think you're right about shaving after a few days, it always leaves the face looking smoother. I used to shave every three days earlier but once I crossed over to the forties, he amount of grey in my beard is surreal, forced to shave more often now.

Thanks very much for the advice on the Fatip. If you had to choose one between the Piccolo or the Grande what would it be? I also think you're right about shaving after a few days, it always leaves the face looking smoother. I used to shave every three days earlier but once I crossed over to the forties, he amount of grey in my beard is surreal, forced to shave more often now.
I really cannot speak for which Fatip, since I only own the Grande. What I have read though is that the Piccolo is smaller diameter handle, but that it is solid and actually a bit heavier than the Grande handle. The Grande handle is hollow and a bit larger diameter. The heads are identical so no difference there. Someone with both might be able to give you more information regarding the differences. Here on B&B there seem to be about half Piccolo and half Grande users. If you buy one and you want the open comb, just make sure you do not get the "Gentile", which is the SB version.

The SLOC was one of the first razors I bought but one of the last I mastered. For me, I must shave with a very shallow angle. If you look at the blade geometry, there's a lot of exposed blade compared to other razors. That blade sticking out into space can be every effective at chopping down hair, but it can also cause insult if shaved at the wrong angle for your skin. For me, it has to be shallow.

Wi
The SLOC was one of the first razors I bought but one of the last I mastered. For me, I must shave with a very shallow angle. If you look at the blade geometry, there's a lot of exposed blade compared to other razors. That blade sticking out into space can be every effective at chopping down hair, but it can also cause insult if shaved at the wrong angle for your skin. For me, it has to be shallow.
ll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks Buddy.

I really cannot speak for which Fatip, since I only own the Grande. What I have read though is that the Piccolo is smaller diameter handle, but that it is solid and actually a bit heavier than the Grande handle. The Grande handle is hollow and a bit larger diameter. The heads are identical so no difference there. Someone with both might be able to give you more information regarding the differences. Here on B&B there seem to be about half Piccolo and half Grande users. If you buy one and you want the open comb, just make sure you do not get the "Gentile", which is the SB version.
I guess will pick up the Grande then.

I too love the R89. A RazoRock favourite of mine is the Mamba 70. Very minimal blade feel, very smooth and a little heftier than the R89. Good luck!
Yeah mate. I got the R89 Twist thanks to geofatboy. I use it as a Travel razor now, its just super awesome. Hadn't given the Mamba a though, will definitely look it up.

Was always intrigued about the Gamechanger .84 and the Lupo models. There are so many discussions on them but couldn't get my head around most.

GC 84 and Lupo 95 are just a bit too much for me but others love them. The GC68 and Lupo72 are more my speed but, still prefer the Mamba 70
Yeah mate. I got the R89 Twist thanks to geofatboy. I use it as a Travel razor now, it’s just super awesome. Hadn't given the Mamba a thought, will definitely look it up.

Was always intrigued about the Gamechanger .84 and the Lupo models. There are so many discussions on them but couldn't get my head around most.

GC 84 and Lupo 95 are just a bit too much for me but others love them. The GC68 and Lupo72 are more my speed but, still prefer the Mamba 70
The mamba it is then. I'm cool with a close shave but I hate the thought of cuts or weepers. By the Lords Grace, haven't had any with the Razors I've used except for my first ever shave with a non cartridge. That was the Leaf twig and I had a Feather in it, was new to shaving with a single blade and had three nice nicks.
Love the Leaf Twig to bits but my mechanism got ruined. The company replaced it with anew one but had moved on to the Rockwell 6S and that was that.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
What other Yaqi Razor heads are worth checking out and have you used any Fatip Razors, they've always looked attractive but wasn't sure which one to try out?
Yaqi and DSCosmetics copy a lot of existing designs, and mostly they copy RazoRock, so let me link their quite useful "aggression" list. You are right now there with the Razorock SLOC:

1706032086252.png

Image Source: RazoRock Razor Scale - The Bottom is the Mildest and The Top is the Mo – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale - Italian Barber is basically Razorock and Canada based, they sell other articles as well though.

With the SLOC you are right now DEAD CENTER in medium. Hmm! :)

Razors to try:
Game Changer .84P (it's a SB, the P stands for... I have forgotten it again)
Lupo .95 SB or OC. I prefer OC.

The Yaqi copy of the Lupo is called Vostok, the Game Changer .84 is called DSCosmetic S9. The S9 even has a slightly improved baseplate design and a fancy scalloped cap available.

The Duomo reminds me of a somewhat more aggressive Fatip. For Fatip, I would start right away with their best, their "Lo Storto" Slant.

The Wunderbar and Superslant razors are the love child of a Razorock founder, and they are exceptional. But they might also not be for everyone, so better try some other razors first. The Lo Storto is a good check if you like Slants.

If you lust for an adjustable, they were never quite my thing for reasons I cannot quite figure out myself, but the Parker Variant OC seems to be very good.

Edit: Mühle Rocca and Edwin Jagger 316 are also always worth a try!

I own both the SLOC and the Yaqi Mellon razor heads. The SLOC is a mild razor and it gives a good, non-threatening shave.
The SS Yaqi Mellon is a lot more aggressive than the SLOC, and requires a very light touch.

YMMV

@megamac have you considered checking some vintage/antique shops in your area for razors? At this stage I wouldn’t spend more than $20 but you might find something you really like once it’s cleaned up. Many of the commonly found vintage Gillettes are fairly mild pleasant shavers.

Top Bottom