What's new

Rex Ambassador first shave struggles

Hi - RAD, and an absent girlfriend (Disney) conspired to force me to buy the Rex Ambassador. And stand. New. I didn’t need to, but it made me very happy.

I love it… but I am struggling. I think I understand what ‘blade feel’ means now. Even on setting 1 I feel I am scraping the blade across my face rather than cutting. I daren’t go higher than 2.

It does however shave brilliantly - even a two-pass shave gives DFS.

As for buffing for a BBS - no chance!!! But my goodness it shaves closer than my beloved AS-D2.

Is it worth sticking with in your experience?

Ps I’ve been shaving for 14 years with Derby Extras (very smooth) and the Feather for past few years.

Cheers,
Russell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Quite a lot of people stay very low with their Ambassador because of the always very present positive exposure.

The good news is, it will shave easily even at minimal settings due to the positive blade exposure.
If you can get used to it or will like it, you mentioned RAD, seems you have quite some other razors you could compare it to already. Seems all your razors were a lot milder so far.

Thanks - yeah I just find the AS-D2 too mild sometimes…

I have been looking at other posts - and found a lot of useful information.

I also found my last post from 2008 - where I said I wanted to have one razor for life (it was a Futur) - it made me laugh out loud - little did I know how much I’d experiment over the next 16 years.

Russell.

Can not comment on Ambassador, as I have only touched & seen.

Fine SS Razor, but like anything NEW you must work with Razor finding perfect steer, with each different blade.

Shaving with DE is like being good, or great at anything.

Practice until you hone skill. Can pickup a Tennis racket first time, and expect to be top pro after one time playing.😥

If I do give up on adjustables - could anyone suggest a suitable step up from the Feather AS-D2 in terms of aggressiveness but still more forgiving than the Ambasador?

Looking for stainless steel / lifetime razor to end RAD - you know how it is!

Cheers,
Russell.

Ride the cap. Start where it barely cuts, then drop your angle slightly. It will eat you up to start, but small changes will start to open your options.

I like lots of blade feel & started at 3. I've run from 1-5, comfortably. Higher is obviously possible, but I personally don't have a goal to achieve with that.

I have had my Rex for several years now and it is the razor I use the most. I had the same challenges at first. It took at least a month to get comfortable with the Rex. Now, the Rex provides consistently great shaves. Most days, the first pass is at 2.5 with remaining passes at 1.5 or 1. I use the Rex at a neutral angle with zero pressure. The Rex does not seem too picky about blades. I will point out that when I got the Rex, I was using vintage Gillettes and Game Changers (.68 and .84) so probably a bit more aggressive than the ASD2 you have been using. I stuck with the Rex for two reasons. First, I am a cheap old xxxx and refused to admit I wasted money and second, the biggest reason, the Rex felt great in my hand, perfect length, balance and grip. I still use many other razors as this is a hobby for me but the Rex is my goto most days.

I like a razor on the mild side so I never use my Rex Ambassador over 2.5 and usually around at a setting of 2 or less. The Rex Ambassador has gotten the reputation as being somewhat harsh over 3--I agree with that assessment. It does seem to have some positive blade exposure, something I now try to avoid when purchasing a razor.

I also agree with the comments regarding experimenting with your shaving angle to find what works best for you. This is a heavy razor and it will do the work for you if you let it do so by guiding it with just enough pressure to keep the razor stable against your skin.

You may want to try an Astra SP (green) blade. I find that this blade reduces a razor's level of aggression while still giving a good shave.

As to alternatives in SS, I would take a look at a Yates 921-M. I love mine. The Karve Overlander seems to have a lot of happy users though I have never used one.

Last edited:
I've had my Ambassador for five years now. Like you, I had to start out less than two on the dial. It is an adjustment, not a statement of machismo. I'm running it on three now, and very happy there. You just need some time and don't feel like you MUST run it at a higher setting than is comfortable.
+1 !!!

I had similar problems with a new Pearl Flexi, using Feather blades. Switched to Astra SP blades (not quite as sharp). Now, the irritation and weepers have disappeared, and the shaves have been fine. I run it at 2 for a new blade, 2.5 for a not-new blade.

It took a while before I admitted that Feather's (which I've used for years), and my technique (ditto), simply weren't suited to my new razor.

. . . That adjustment ring is there for you to use, to set the razor up so it's comfortable for _your_ hands, and _your_ beard.

If you want raw challenge, forget about DE's -- and try a straight razor.

. . . Charles

had one let it go no amount of technique or finesse for my face allowed it to be comfy :)
I love the industrial look and best grip handle I have ever held BUT just to much

some love the Lupo another one that was a face ripper for me
for sure we all have to love what we use and to many great options to shave with that are WOW out of the gate like the Wolfman or the Timeless or the GC any gap or the........

If I do give up on adjustables - could anyone suggest a suitable step up from the Feather AS-D2 in terms of aggressiveness but still more forgiving than the Ambasador?

Cheers,
Russell.

Well if you not afraid of of Vintages the Gillette Vintage Brand has many adjustable that many people loved. Love as Gillete sold millions, and Blue Blade, and most use were happy.

Cheers,
Russell.
Everyone's different but for some reason Permasharp blades seem to work well in everything for me if you haven't tried those. Along with riding the cap advice above could have you happy in a couple weeks or less.
If you wanted to get something else: Tatara Nodachi, Timeless 0.95 and the Wolfman WR2 0.95 would be a good step up if you wanted higher end. Razorock makes nice ones in the 50-70$ range, game changer 0.84 and Lupo 0.72 are good options and best value out there. If you wanted a milder adjustable the old Gillette's like slim are on milder side and can pick one up under 50$. Best high end mild adjustable is the Tatara Muramasa.

So, I’m persevering and have just had a DFS without any cuts or weeping.

I’m wondering if the point is to not have to buff-up - and that the point is to have a DFS after one-pass WTG, so there is no need for buffing.

This is what I found this evening, on setting 2.

I still had to tidy up around mouth and under nose on setting 0.5 - which felt very wrong but did indeed work without cuts or weeping as well.

The alum is singing a bit but it’s a DFS everywhere and BBS on over 80%.

I’ll keep working it. Cheers.

Top Bottom