What's new

Who do you prefer?

I would say fixed because my daily shaver is a Muhle R89, but I revisit my Merkur Progress a lot and thoroughly enjoy its performance.

Fixed...
Never jellied with adjustable.
I don't like springs in my bed and I (YMMV) don't like springs in my razors..
I understand the attraction, need and want. But with all the razors in my den(s) , I can just grab two if needed and boom..
Called utilization...
Whatever your preference, enjoy it and have a super shave....
BFX

I probably do about 50-50. My fixed razors tend to be on the more "aggressive" side, and I haven't spent the money for one of the modern fixed because it's a hassle to recoup if it doesn't work out.

My adjustables I tend to keep within about 3 settings, depending on how I feel. I don't change mid-shave, but sometimes like to move a little faster, sometimes a bit closer with more concentration.

I probably do about 50-50. My fixed razors tend to be on the more "aggressive" side, and I haven't spent the money for one of the modern fixed because it's a hassle to recoup if it doesn't work out.

My adjustables I tend to keep within about 3 settings, depending on how I feel. I don't change mid-shave, but sometimes like to move a little faster, sometimes a bit closer with more concentration.
Adjustables rule.

My theory of 'adjustables' is to use multiple fixed razors. Say a more aggressive one to open, a less aggressive one for final pass. I find it works really well, and I have plenty of razors, so why not?

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I have a Merkur Progress that I use occasionally, and enjoy (even adjust for my ATG pass), but definitely prefer a fixed gap. I don't feel the need to go adjustable again.

In general I think fixed are better. I have most of the new high end adjustables, a slim and a fat boy but the only two that get use are the rex Ambassador and the Rocnel. I usually end up keeping it on a single setting for the whole shave too. I just will use a more aggressive razor for more growth. Also I prefer open combs and don't have any or know of any open comb adjustables but haven't looked much into it since I have enough options to cover any situation.

I don’t reach for anything with a biased towards whether they’re fixed or adjustable. Just if I can get an experience that I can enjoy. I have adjustables that I love and ones I’m “meh” about. Same with fixed heads.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As you can see by this thread, most people prefer a fixed razor.
The forces behind the "market" are known to offer products that may not exactly align with consumer preferences. Often they have planned obsolescence. Shaving is no exception, witness the progression from single blade cartridges in the 1960s to five blade and even heated systems, each requiring a new handle. Over time if you find one you really like, as it is replaced by the newest thing, it is only a matter of time until the thing you liked becomes very hard to find or even unobtainable except through sites like eBay. We are lucky that so far those forces have not stopped making DE blades!

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Same here, Rob.

You've got the Progress as well? It's funny, this is one that I feel has to be adjustable, not sure if it's the combination of gap/exposure/angle (?).

I absolutely LOVE how loud it cuts on the higher settings!!! :)

Top Bottom