What's new

Introduction and Question: What do you use most?

I tend to use my ATT S-1, Karve and Timeless .68 SB razors the most. The reason: I put a Personna Lab or Med Prep blade in them and get over 7 shaves! Other razors or combos of razor and blades give me 3 shaves.

Using my Shave Buddy app, my most used items are
Maggard V3 razor
Gillette Nacet blade
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Soap
West Coast Shaving Silvertip brush
Clubman aftershave.

I shave Mon-Fri most weeks, sometimes on weekends.
Razor: either Global Shave Club ICE it 1958 Gillette Tech
Pre shave: Grooming Department pre-shave
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Peppermint
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Bowl: Timeless blue bowl (it came free with something I ordered, but I love it)
Clubman Styptic pencil if necessary
AS: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic

Great first post - a warm welcome to you, sir!

I know personally of the rabbithole of vintage razors - have bought around 100 of them since falling in. And now the shaving brush AD is nipping at my heels, have bought 2 wonderful brushes in the last week alone!

My preferred setups would be:

Cheaper pack:
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Feather
Brush: Any Semogue or Omega boar brush
Soap/cream: Proraso Green soap or cream (both wonderful)
aftershave: Williams Ice Blue or Proraso Green splash

Expensive pack:
Razor: Gillette Hybrid Tech or British Gillette Aristocrat 4th generation
Blade: Feather
Brush: Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Soap/cream: Castle Forbes 1445
aftershave: Floid Blue vintage

Welcome. Sounds like a great start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

++

I am currently focused on my RazoRock Game Changer razors (GC68P and GC84P), Zenith brushes (B15 and M5), Dorco ST301, RPL and some of the Gillette 7 O’clock blades, Stirling soaps (I tend to like simpler scents made with essential oils, and various drug store and clone after shaves.

One factor in what I choose to use for my shave is how many days of growth. For one day of growth, I tend to choose the milder razor with a sharper blade. And for two or more days of growth, I tend to choose the more aggressive razor with a less sharp blade (like an RPL or a Dorco).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all your responses. I've spent the last couple of nights tracking down the products I've never heard of, and I'm surprised (and thrilled) at the number of choices available. The world at large has no clue about the size of the wet shaving ecosystem, but I'm doing my part to introduce friends and family.

As an update to my original post, I returned the Parker Variant without trying it because of a defect and ordered a Razorock SLOC because A) it's gotten great reviews here, B) it's inexpensive, and C) I really like the look of it. I'll add my thought to others' when I get through a few shaves.

New Type Gold 1.jpg

No cracks in the handle & no plating wearthrough. This will go into my razor rotation in line with a Pre War Fat Handle, an Old Type, a '53 Super Speed, Super Adjustable 109, and a few others.

Last edited:
Hey, gang.

I just wanted to give an update to show how my gear has changed since my initial post. In the last month I've learned that I prefer aggressive razors and sharp blades, Proraso soaps, and grocery store aftershaves. My only three razors at the moment are the Mühle R41 (best razor on the planet...so far), Mühle Rocca R96 (very very good, and all steel), and RazoRock SLOC (one of the best ways anyone can spend $16). I've been through most of my razor samples and am leaning heavily toward Feather, followed very closely by Astra SP and Kai. Personna Platinum, GSB, and 7 OC Yellow are also going to get another shot soon, and tomorrow will be my first time with the Voskhod.

Here's what I've got my eye on for 2020:

- Tatara Masamune Nodachi, Open Comb (if it's released in 2020)
- Vintage Gillette New Long Comb, original or re-plated
- Karve Open Comb, D plate
- Simpson Trafalgar T2 Synthetic Brush
- Arko, Tabac, La Toja, Williams, and Mitchell's Wool Fat soaps
- My first pack of 100 blades (probably Feather)

Here's what I could EASILY live with if I had to settle for one of each shaving item currently in my possession:

- Mühle R41 Twist
- Feather blade
- Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger brush
- Proraso Red pre-shave
- Proraso Red shaving cream
- Old Spice aftershave

Thank you for all of your posts and comments here on B&B. I've been having a blast, and I truly enjoy shaving every single day.

SOTC.jpg

I've got several New LC's. They're wonderfull performers. Going thru my inventory of duplicates soon & I may have one to sell. I can let you know more later.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hey, gang.

I just wanted to give an update to show how my gear has changed since my initial post. In the last month I've learned that I prefer aggressive razors and sharp blades, Proraso soaps, and grocery store aftershaves. My only three razors at the moment are the Mühle R41 (best razor on the planet...so far), Mühle Rocca R96 (very very good, and all steel), and RazoRock SLOC (one of the best ways anyone can spend $16). I've been through most of my razor samples and am leaning heavily toward Feather, followed very closely by Astra SP and Kai. Personna Platinum, GSB, and 7 OC Yellow are also going to get another shot soon, and tomorrow will be my first time with the Voskhod.

Here's what I could EASILY live with if I had to settle for one of each shaving item currently in my possession:

- Mühle R41 Twist
- Feather blade
- Proraso Red pre-shave
- Old Spice aftershave

Thank you for all of your posts and comments here on B&B. I've been having a blast, and I truly enjoy shaving every single day.

View attachment 1047765

And so it begins. ;)

Wet shaving is definitely a fun hobby. :)

welcome to the rabbit hole of life hope you have bought your season ticket for this ride . I started with the cheep but excellent Wilkinson sword classic plastic and have at the moment settled on my Rockwell 6c as it can be adjusted so eazy for the type of shave you want .as a everyday shaver I find plate #3 is a good plate for me but if I have a lazy weekend I just swap the plate out to #4-5.
have fun finding whats best for you .

Hey, gang.

- Mühle R41 Twist
- Feather blade
- Proraso Red pre-shave
- Old Spice aftershave

View attachment 1047765

You've certainly jumped into this hobby with both feet in a short time.
So... the rabbit hole has found yet another victim enthusiast.
Very nice collection, Sir! :thumbup: :a14::a14:

:a29:

Last edited:
Most used...

Merkur Progress
RR .84

Personna Israelis

C.O. Bigelow/Proraso Green cream
Cremo Cream

Alum block
Afta aftershave balm
Pinaud AS stuff, to include The Veg

Never used/dishonorable mentions...

Cadet open comb razor

Gillette Old Type, Robespierre at the guillotine Edition

Voskhod blades...which work fine, provided your prep consists of showering in standing water from the blasted remains of Chernobyl's #4 RBMK reactor site. Otherwise...they tug a bit.

Voskhod blades...which work fine, provided your prep consists of showering in standing water from the blasted remains of Chernobyl's #4 RBMK reactor site. Otherwise...they tug a bit.

Great description, and I agree about the tugging. I used one for the first time this morning.

My most used gear:

Game Changer .84 with SB plate (but I also have the open comb and Jaws plates)
Rockwell 6S, plates 4 and 5
Soaps/creams: Trumpers coconut oil cream; Castle Forbes Lime cream; Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood soap, Mike's Lime soap
Brush: West Coast Shaving silvertip
Aftershave: Brickell aftershave balm, Stirling Lime, Stirling Coconut Lime, Stirling Mountain Man, and good ole Mennen Skin Bracer

I too have a Variant but don't like it & will sell it one of these days.

Last edited:
Hey, gang.

- Mühle R41 Twist
- Feather blade
- Proraso Red pre-shave
- Old Spice aftershave

View attachment 1047765
If you like aggressive razors, you should try a blackbird. It shaves different than any razor I’ve tried. I generally like OCs, but I like the SB better in the blackbird. I also really enjoy using my Wolfman, Carbon, and Charcoal Goods razors. I don’t really like the vintage razors I’ve tried, but I feel like they’re worth trying. My approach was to buy user grade so I wasn’t out too much if I didn’t like them. As far as blades, I have settled on Personna labs and Voskhods, but I use Personnas 99% of the time.
I read your original post and there’s no need to throw in an ATG pass if you’re happy with your shaves. I’ve been using DEs for 5 years and I only do 2 WTG passes. I could get closer with an across or against the grain pass, but I get ingrown hairs so that doesn’t work for me. ATG might work for you, but it’s not a necessity.

Preshave: warm water
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: BiC or Gillette 7 o'clock green stainless
Soap: Proraso and Arko
Brush: Omega Boar
Aftershave: Nivea, sometimes use alum bar.

I enjoy simplicity coupled with inexpensive well made products.

My advice to you is to go slowly. I used a Fat Boy and Slim for more than 50 years - and then I joined B&B. My hardware collection grew to include many more DEs, injector and SE razors. This year I started to sell off some of my razors. With that said I still have some favorites.

For adjustable razors I like the FB for vintage and Progress for modern. My favorite slant razor is the ATT S-1. For regular razors, I have found that I like every vintage Gillette I have tried from Techs, Red Tips, Aristocrats, etc. For modern razors, I like the Karve, Timeless, and Feather AS-D2 the best.

Top Bottom