What's new

I finally ordered R41

Shave 11

Muhle R41
Gillette 7 o’clock yellow sharpedge (2nd use)
Stirling Bay Rum soap
Stirling Mountain Man afterhsvae

Shave is 8/10

DFS 2 pass plus touch up … not quite picked up everything
The yellow 7’s not as good as yesterday even with touch up

At the moment Gillette platinum and GSilver performed better so far

Tomorrow will try new to me Personna Platinum Blue blades

Try it with the Gillette 7 Yellow (SharpEdge) next :D as I do not hear much about these blades and they are becoming my favorite. Curious on your thoughts and BTW, the rose handle looks very nice (like copper).
Yellow 7s similar result to Nacet. They not as good as Gillette platinum or GSB… no where near feather 🪶

They still give a good shave but not BBS like Gillette platinum or feather.

Shave 12

Muhle R41
Personna Platinum blade (new to me virgin user)
Bulldog bamboo-synth brush
Stirling Island 🏝️ Man soap
Stirling Island 🏝️ Man aftershave
Stirling Island 🏝️ Man EDT
Nivea sensitive cool

Ok was really looking forwards to trying these Personna platinum blades. I am a little disappointed the blade felt great through shave but it took couple little weeper/nicks … also I had to do additional two pass of touch ups under chin difficult area. I had to push to get anywhere near shaving them. So I’ve used a couple touches of Nivea shave sensitive cool cream which wouldn’t expect.

Can see why blade is popular - it’s given decent enough shave - but for me it’s not got the minerals to smash those difficult bits.

So yes in theory resultant shave is still good - but it’s not been as good as the gillette platinum or silver

BBS shave 2 pass XTG ATG then 2 passes touch ups neck again

I’ll give the Personna blade another go tomorrow and we’ll see.

(Maybe a Raspira Lux day after - but gusssing that’s gonna perform sub par)

Last edited:
I've been using Treet Platinum with mine recently. Works a treat (ber dum!)

Probably the most consistent blade for me over 3 shaves which I think is important with an aggressive razor.

Shave 13

Muhle R41
Personna Platinum blade (2nd use)
Stirling Triumph soap
Stirling Mountain 🏔️ Man aftershave
Nivea sensitive cool

Ok so 8.25/10

The Triumph smells nice enough
BBS in 2 passes plus touch up

Personna a bit better today - but still needed to work quite hard around difficult area of neck on those touch ups.

May give the Rasputin Rapira Lux a go tomorrow

FYI …. Just tonight ordered a couple of Boar brushes …

SOC Butterscotch
Omega Jade

So some curious lathering in due course
And a new learning curve - gotta admit was toiling g getting the Galahad too and a bit disappointed how difficult to order Zenith over here … wanted the Copper or Aluminium 506 …. Anyways let’s see if I even like Boars and enduring the breakin !!

Dorco Titan and Dorco ST300 work really well. Feathers obviously, but you already got those. And Gillette 365 also gave me great shaves with the R41. I think most blades will perform, even the moderate ones as the R41 somehow disciplines them into performance almost.

Enjoy!

Guido

Shave 14

Muhle R41
Raspira Lux blade (new to me virgin user)
Stirling Dunshire soap
Nivea sensitive cool

The blade felt pretty good / smooth through shave but it took couple little nicks … also I had to do additional two pass of touch ups under chin difficult area.
These seem to feel at similar level or slightly less than the Personna Platinums.
So I’ve used a couple touches of Nivea shave sensitive cool cream which might be due to previous days shave.

Can see why blade is popular - it’s given decent enough shave - 8/10

DFS- BBS shave 2 pass XTG ATG then 2 passes touch ups neck again

What I will say is the Personna shave from yesterday lasted longer / stayed smoother than expected ….

Shave 15

Muhle R41
Raspira Lux blade (2nd use)
Stirling Triumph soap

Ok so acknowledge two days growth - tried for 2 pass shave … bottom neck up then ..ATG … had to do another pass plus touch up.

Knew the Rapira Lux not going to give the best result …. In fairness it sort of got through the 2 days growth but thereafter unspectacular shave. It’s made neck sore in difficult area - not surprised

At moment the shave is 99% BBS but had to work for it - 3 passes plus touch ups

I’ll give the Rapira Lux blades a try in Merkur 39c at later stage … but right now unimpressed with them in this razor.

TBH I wanted to try a new Feather or Gillette Platinum this morning because I wasn’t expecting Rapira to acquit itself too well.

Anyway I’ve got more blades trialling to update this post

I reckon Gillette 7 o’clock (Green) super stainless or Wilkinson Sword tomorrow

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm so happy with my R41 Grande that I decided this morning that the best thing to do at this point is find a blade that works best in it. Project for the remainder of the year!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We won’t be back in the States until May 24th or so. I’ve promised to pass along my R41 to a friend here. I’m sort of wondering if I’m making a mistake by not trying it at least once. On the other hand, getting a brand new razor from a friend is nice. I will be including the RR SLOC head I bought to tame it down a bit.

But, who am I kidding? When we get back, my first shave will be with my Wolfman WR2…. And the second with my Athena, followed by the Rocnel Elite. I’ve been missing them all and we’ve only been gone for 3 weeks on Wednesday.

Be honest to yourself … you know you want to have ticked that box 📦 ✔️

I’m so glad I’ve got one

It’s bringing me a little pain just waiting to shave each day 😃

Shave 16 -

First use Wilkinson Sword Blade

Muhle R41
Wilkinson Sword - German blade
Stirling Executive Man soap
Astringent Witch Hazel / Alcohol
Tabac - Aftershave Lotion
FCUK Sport Bodyspray

Initial thoughts in use … err this feels familiar …. Well er it’s lame 😒 - much like the last couple of blades used .

Required 3 passes plus more passes under neck for difficult bits - had to work for the result and taken time.

Can’t get excited about this blade - tbh don’t even want to use it tomorrow … but then this thread wouldn’t be fair comparatively speaking.

Have so much other deodorant kicking about so mixed it up

BBS yes but the time input factors on my shave result - there’s way better blades out there - so my combined rating time/ efficiency / aggressiveness /quality of shave about an 7.5/10

If you haven't tried one, give a Lord Platinum a shot, they're super smooth in the R41, yet quite sharp. Easily a 2-Pass to BBS for me, even with my rather stiff gray growth. Only real issue I have with them is they're done after around 4 shaves, the 5th takes too many passes to get to BBS, so basically 4 and done in most cases. - On the plus side, they're inexpensive blades.

As the latest venture continues

The Connaught Jade Omega and Semogue SOC Butterscotch Boar Brushes arrived….

The Omega seems a nice brush …
But there are tool marks present - yes it may have been hand turned but finish is poor. Expected better, though it may buff/ polish out … shouldn’t have to do it. FYI there is no branding on handle or base.
In third photo can see some of the tooling lines.

I’ve had better finished handles on £15 Yaqi

The Omega finish is dire when compared to the Semogue SOC - the finish is unmarked - even perfect ! It’s packaging is wrapped in tissue and then placed snugly in box with additional lining to prevent rattling in transit.

Anyway they’re both getting their bristle tips dipped overnight cold water before using one tomorrow.

A little stronger animal smell from Omega already …. Will give it some cleansing in due course.

Attachments

• ED86FF21-40CB-4C62-8C4A-D0105A4102DC.jpeg
    ED86FF21-40CB-4C62-8C4A-D0105A4102DC.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 0E44450F-1DEA-4749-A4FA-6DA298AB9F81.jpeg
    0E44450F-1DEA-4749-A4FA-6DA298AB9F81.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • DDBB57BC-2E32-464D-B81F-648C29ECDB0E.jpeg
    DDBB57BC-2E32-464D-B81F-648C29ECDB0E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
As the latest venture continues

The Connaught Jade Omega and Semogue SOC Butterscotch Boar Brushes arrived….

The Omega seems a nice brush …
But there are tool marks present - yes it may have been hand turned but finish is poor. Expected better, though it may buff/ polish out … shouldn’t have to do it. FYI there is no branding on handle or base.
In third photo can see some of the tooling lines.

I’ve had better finished handles on £15 Yaqi

The Omega finish is dire when compared to the Semogue SOC - the finish is unmarked - even perfect ! It’s packaging is wrapped in tissue and then placed snugly in box with additional lining to prevent rattling in transit.

Anyway they’re both getting their bristle tips dipped overnight cold water before using one tomorrow.

A little stronger animal smell from Omega already …. Will give it some cleansing in due course.
Holding off with Jade for now

Gonna run with Butterscotch SOC and looking 👀 forwards tomoz new Boar 🐗 Brush 😁 and shave 🪒

Attachments

• 1682443647923.png
    1682443647923.png
    312.7 KB · Views: 4
Shave 17 -

First use Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar 🐗 Brush

Muhle R41
Wilkinson Sword - German blade (2nd use)
Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar brush
Stirling Bay Rum soap (growing on me this smell!)
Astringent Witch Hazel / Alcohol
M&S Bergamot EDT
M&S Bergamot Fresh Start Bodyspray

Fellas why oh why do people rabbit in about synthetic … yes they’re ok but wow i what a difference the Boar Brush.

This shave was a little frustrating with the blade not being upto the job …but the brush made up for all of that an more!

FYI soaked brush tips over night - then give it two runs of exec man soap on hands washed out and then shook out then up and down arm, then towel for few moments to help dry/make any difference to first shave.

I showered to get wet warm / shower gel wash my head as a final soap clean to the brush before first shave.

All I can say is wow well well chuffed - it’s already luxuriant in its first use …. These are fantastic.

Sorry to run off thread - shave 3 pass with extra pass and touch up under neck

All in the shave standard/experience has risen … needed to xtra time to get the BBS … but enjoyed that time with new brush.

Top Bottom