What's new

NRD: Muhle R41

Muhle R41 just arrived.

I bought one of the 2011 versions when they were first released. It was definitely an aggressive razor, and it kept me on my toes, but what I remember is if you paid attention and had good technique it was a very efficient razor, but definitely less forgiving and with a smaller margin for error compared to others. I parted ways the older R41 along may years ago for no other reason than I was pairing down and only keeping the "essentials", but recently got the bug again, so I ordered a new R41.

Interested to see how this compares to (what I can remember, or think I remember) about the 2011 version. I'm not necessarily looking for an overly aggressive razor, but also have some more mild razors on the way (a couple older Super Speeds (40's & 50's) and a fairly Mild RazoRock Game Changer .68 that I'll hope to have in the next week or so, and wanted something to sort of "round out the field".

My daily drivers has been a Mergress XL and a 37C Slant, and after taking a bit of a break from wet shaving have got back into it and jsut wanted to experiment a bit with a few different razors and have some more variety, thinking I may lean on the Super Speeds and Game Changer for daily shaves, and the more aggressive R41 and 37C slant for the times I go days between shaves. Of course, the Mergress XL can cover anything from mild to fairly aggressive.

I will give the R41 a spin later today. Not sure If I'll load it with an Astra SP, or a Gillette Platinum. The Astra SP is my old standby blade, but have been experimenting with different blades lately as well. One initial impression is the handle very nice looking, but a bit slippery. I vaguely remember that being a thing with the 2011 version as well, and probably why II put a bulldog handle on it.

Either way, looking forward to giving this one a go!

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

I love my R41, but I am not a fan of the handle. I am a wet lather type of fella, you won’t catch me with whipped cream, I like up to the point it’s runny. The handle they come won’t is slick as hell, especially in the shower. I upgraded my handle, a little longer and a little more weight As well, 100gr.

0C087679-1B97-4E3C-ACBE-F278F4365CA5.jpeg

I love my R41, but I am not a fan of the handle. I am a wet lather type of fella, you won’t catch me with whipped cream, I like up to the point it’s runny. The handle they come won’t is slick as hell, especially in the shower. I upgraded my handle, a little longer and a little more weight As well, 100gr.

View attachment 1665558
Razor handles are never slippery. Fingers, on the other hand...😂

I'm not a fan of the Muhle handles, either. I use one of my titanium handles with all of my 3-piece razors.

Muhle R41 just arrived.

I bought one of the 2011 versions when they were first released. It was definitely an aggressive razor, and it kept me on my toes, but what I remember is if you paid attention and had good technique it was a very efficient razor, but definitely less forgiving and with a smaller margin for error compared to others. I parted ways the older R41 along may years ago for no other reason than I was pairing down and only keeping the "essentials", but recently got the bug again, so I ordered a new R41.

Interested to see how this compares to (what I can remember, or think I remember) about the 2011 version. I'm not necessarily looking for an overly aggressive razor, but also have some more mild razors on the way (a couple older Super Speeds (40's & 50's) and a fairly Mild RazoRock Game Changer .68 that I'll hope to have in the next week or so, and wanted something to sort of "round out the field".

My daily drivers has been a Mergress XL and a 37C Slant, and after taking a bit of a break from wet shaving have got back into it and jsut wanted to experiment a bit with a few different razors and have some more variety, thinking I may lean on the Super Speeds and Game Changer for daily shaves, and the more aggressive R41 and 37C slant for the times I go days between shaves. Of course, the Mergress XL can cover anything from mild to fairly aggressive.

I will give the R41 a spin later today. Not sure If I'll load it with an Astra SP, or a Gillette Platinum. The Astra SP is my old standby blade, but have been experimenting with different blades lately as well. One initial impression is the handle very nice looking, but a bit slippery. I vaguely remember that being a thing with the 2011 version as well, and probably why II put a bulldog handle on it.

Either way, looking forward to giving this one a go!

View attachment 1665534

View attachment 1665553
View attachment 1665536
The current and 2011 R41s are both nice, but are very different to shave with. The 2011 is far more aggressive / efficient. I've found that a Gillette Old Type cap on a current R41 baseplate is a very close approximation to the original 2011 model. I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test. Here's my 2011 R41 (right) next to my R41GS stainless baseplate with a thin-cap Gillette Old Type cap (from 1921) and a Timeless Ti Crown handle (left). Note how similar the top caps are.

20230501_172528.jpg

After the 2011 there is a midler version (2013) and later around 2019 - early 2020 an even milder version. Both newer versions have wider caps and bottom plates, that make the blade have less exposure. Since you bought yours now, it is most probably the latest and mildest version. Don't expect anything even close to the 2011.

More info on the difference between 2013 and the latest here.

The current and 2011 R41s are both nice, but are very different to shave with. The 2011 is far more aggressive / efficient. I've found that a Gillette Old Type cap on a current R41 baseplate is a very close approximation to the original 2011 model. I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart in a blind test. Here's my 2011 R41 (right) next to my R41GS stainless baseplate with a thin-cap Gillette Old Type cap (from 1921) and a Timeless Ti Crown handle (left). Note how similar the top caps are.

View attachment 1665564
I tried this today with my R41 and your right. I got a very close Shane using the old types top plate. The shave itself felt harsher but the irritation was less than I get with my other razors

I tried this today with my R41 and your right. I got a very close Shane using the old types top plate. The shave itself felt harsher but the irritation was less than I get with my other razors
Absolutely. I stick to two passes with this combination. If you keep going over the same spot it will irritate the skin, and there's really no need.

Talk about a frankin razor Zamuk base plate copper top cap and a stainless steel handle
The 2011 R41 shaves pretty much the same, but they are very hard to find now. I'm a very firm believer that:

All R41 baseplates shave the same.
The 2011 model is MUCH more efficient because of the different top cap.
The Gillette thin cap Old Type top cap from <1921 is almost identical in terms of performance.
Handles don't make much difference, but titanium > stainless.

Oh, the Old Type top cap is brass, not copper. I'm seriously thinking of getting mine replated, they are so good.

The 2011 R41 shaves pretty much the same, but they are very hard to find now. I'm a very firm believer that:

All R41 baseplates shave the same.
The 2011 model is MUCH more efficient because of the different top cap.
The Gillette thin cap Old Type top cap from <1921 is almost identical in terms of performance.
Handles don't make much difference, but titanium > stainless.

Oh, the Old Type top cap is brass, not copper. I'm seriously thinking of getting mine replated, they are so good.
There are small differences in my base plates, 2011 compared to 2013. Whether it makes any difference in the shave I'm not sure. I did put a 2013 top cap on a 2011 and thought I experienced a more comfortable 2011 shave as well as a more efficient 2013 shave. So maybe the base plate does add to the aggressiveness of the 2011 in addition to the smaller top cap. Hard to say for sure!

Top Bottom