What's new

I finally ordered R41

I bought and sold 3 ZAMAK R41, 1 stainless steel and finally the titanium R41 as Berlin edition. Sold all. Too much chatter, bad blade alignment. There are much better razors out there.
I agree. I did much the same. Tried 3 R41 razors and got rid of them. They feel like they pull the whiskers out instead of cutting them. You would be better off with a Fatip Grande.

So shave 4 - Nacet virgin for first time

This mornings shave definitely got angles right … little pressure in couple places and decent shave.

Given my new Nacet blades their first run.

So I haven’t had the feather exfoliation.

Had 3 pass shave & touch ups in usual difficult areas and starting to nail the razor

With my slant I always have glass like face - There is a definite difference in how skin face finish feels etc…

I’m already enjoying the nuances and difference of the razor. Can definitely see why the Nacets are popular too.

Shave 5

Second shave Nacet … it’s not got the minerals needed for the difficult neck areas … knew yesterday it was not as close to feather and today its noowhete near… rest of face / shave ok

Not totally knocking the Nacet blades but defo trying something different tomoz

Shave 6

Muhle R41
Gillette Silver Blue (First time ever used)
Yaqi Sagrada familia
Amaretto special
IHA styptic matches
Marks & Spencer’s Bergamot EDT
Witch hazel alcohol
Marks & Spencer Fresh Start Bergamot deodorant

Not a bad shave … 8/10 - definitely not close as a feather - chance the 8/10 is a little bit low … happy to use the GSBs again for sure … a nice blade and good recommendation (see how fairs days 2!!)

Attachments

• 1681480183487.png
    1681480183487.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Great first shave …

I’ll definitely try Nacets again but the second shave was considerably less sharp … I’m no crocodile 🐊… know there’s good in them yet

Great first shave …

I’ll definitely try Nacets again but the second shave was considerably less sharp … I’m no crocodile 🐊… know there’s good in them yet
I've never known a bad Nacet and have found them to be a consistently comfortable application for the R41. I can say that the Nacet is not the best blade in all of my DEs however.

For the record, my DE shaves have been relegated to a single pass, going ATG after 2 passes with the SR...
Relatively speaking, I now have 3 "first shaves"

I’ll order some Bic too … I got so many blades at the mo - know there’s other i want to try … but I’ve got 4/5 years worth tucked away !!!

Once I’ve gone through this malarkey I’ve gotta get round to pulling out the straight even if it’s just weekends … been sat in drawer year or so (carpe diem dovo)

I also want to give a Futur a spin at some stage plus lupo .95 OC - maybe Christmas or treat next year.

I haven’t had RAD before, but these forums make you want everything !!
Never been worried about old Gillette’s etc and now keeping eye on them too

Shave 7

Muhle R41
Gillette Silver Blue blade (2nd shave)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Piacenza Shave Soap
Piacenza Aftershave

Well pleased with the shave today -- 3 pass with touch ups ... DFS -BBS
The Gillette Silver Blue give good shave -- nice smooth shave -- obviously they're different to a feather - maybe the slightest difference sharpness but a lot smoother shave. (I'm still looking forward to using feather again in couple week when waded through 2 shaves of each blade)
Obviously looking forward to trying the platinum's to compare.

So the Piacenza is a new Stirling Soap/AS to me ... its quite nice and great lather

69C32A21-C675-42BF-AD0B-BED7F7F771E8.jpg

Shave 8

Muhle R41
Gillette Platinum Blue (first time have used these blades)
Bulldog bamboo synthetic brush (used by this not a great brush)
Stirling Margaritas in arctic
Stirling Island Man Aftershave

BBS - 3 pass no touch ups !!
Smooth shave and good blade - happy 🌞 days

Voskhod would be a good blade to pair with this razor. It isn't overly sharp but it is one of the smoothest blades out there for me. As mentioned by another member above, those Indian made Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades would be good to try out. They are very very smooth and will pair well with a very efficient razor like the R41.

I agree. I did much the same. Tried 3 R41 razors and got rid of them. They feel like they pull the whiskers out instead of cutting them. You would be better off with a Fatip Grande.
I would look into my shave angle. With that much blade exposure and fairly decent beard growth, if the angle is not correct, it will feel like the blade is pulling rather than slicing. Try to ride the cap more.

I would look into my shave angle. With that much blade exposure and fairly decent beard growth, if the angle is not correct, it will feel like the blade is pulling rather than slicing. Try to ride the cap more.
Totally 100% on the blade angle …

Shave 9

Muhle R41
Gillette Platinum Blue (2nd use)
Bulldog bamboo synthetic brush (not a great brush)
Stirling Executive Man shave soap
Stirling Mountain Man Aftershave

BBS
First pass ATG face / XTG neck (basically shaving up from base of neck in 1 pass)

Second pass ATG face and neck.(different direction for neck)

Quick touch up !!

Result - BBS 2 passes - Great shave and happy with blade

For this razor to work I have to reduce the overall time shaving. 3 passes is time

With my Merkur slant I can shave really quickly by comparison; it is pretty much almost part of me like it’s bonded to me. It gives a blinding shave too

In theory I can use the R41 daily - I’m definitely getting what wanted from the Muhle. It adds sparkle ✨, a bit of buzz and gives both satisfaction and enjoyment in use. That sensory awareness of the blade edge … Love it 💕

Shave 10

BBS
2 pass plus a little touch up today
XTG / ATG

9/10 - that’s coz I had to do the touch ups - so marking myself down 😉

Muhle r41
Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow SharpEdge (Fresh Blade)
Bulldog Bamboo synthetic brush
Moonsoaps Sorrento shave soap
Astringent Witch Hazel/alcohol
Issey Miyake L’Eau D’Issey Pour Homme EDT

I think the difference in soap or blade may have meant touch ups - (Think Gillette Platinums were better) will use Stirling soap tomorrow to gauge.

The standard of shave though 10/10 No nicks or anything, a really Smooth as result -
Happy Dayz - Happy Shaves

Last edited:
I think the difference in soap or blade may have meant touch ups...

It is going to be very difficult, maybe impossible to nail down the most successful combination with how frequently you are changing the variables. Ideally, only one variable should be changed at a time (i.e., soap only or blade only, etc.) and you need to hold the formula for more than one shave, ideally a week minimum but a month is better yet.

But I am also guilty of this as there is just so many things we want to try out and most of us can only shave once a day max!

Ta .. the soaps are known quantity… and Moonsoaps isn’t as good as Stirling for me.

I’m changing blades every 2 days to get a very quick feel of which work … and tbh each of them have worked except Nacet day 2

(With my 39c slant it’s a bit choosier - funnily enough yellow 7’s been best for every day use - but the feather still gives the closest of shave)

With R41 the Gillette platinums shine for sure - (the feather is closest)

In the space of week and half I’ve got a really good feel for the razor and each of the blades. I’m getting everything I want from the trial ….

I’m now shaving 2 pass and getting BBS … I’m probably able to go 1 pass and touch up.

Top Bottom