What's new

40 Razors in 1,000 shaves: How many X did you try in Y amount of time?

Today was my 1,000th traditional wet shave! I shave daily, so that's equal to 2.7 years. A shoutout to @Kaldane, who hit the same milestone just a few days ago.

I tallied up all the razors I've tried, and counted about 40, depending on how you count various metals and baseplates of the same razor. I don't own all of these, as several were loaned to me for sampling. Here's the list, in the order that I tried them:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Parker Variant
Muhle R41
RazoRock G37
Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)
Parker SRB shavette
Feather SS Kamisori
1918 Gillette Old Type
Gillette Tech code A1 (1955)
Gillette New Short Comb
Gillette PreWar Tech
Gillette Gold Postwar NDC Tech
Blackland Vector SB
Timeless SS .68 scalloped
Timeless .38 bronze
Blackbird Stainless Steel OC and SB
Blackbird Titanium SB
Tatara Masamune OC
Above The Tie H1
Charcoal Goods level 2 SB
Blackland Tradere SB
Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB and 1.15 OC
Parker 26c
Gillette Heritage
Karve OC-C, SB-E, SB-G
GEM Featherweight
GEM G-Bar
GEM Contour
GEM Bullet tip
GEM MMOC
Blackland Sabre Levels 1 and 2
Blackbird Brass SB
Timeless Aluminum .38
Gillette New Long Comb
Tatara Nodachi
Lambda Athena
Karve Overlander
Lambda Ares v2
Barbaros TR-3
Aylesworth Drakkant+
Carbon Cx Cu

I may try to count up how many different soaps, blades, and other things I tried in the first 1,000 shaves . . . but first, I was wondering about you all! Any idea (even an estimate) of how many X you tried in Y amount of time? Honestly, I thought the razor count might have even been higher!

Truly, honestly, I wasn't like this before B&B.

In anticipation of questions about what my favorites are, or a ranking, I have basically gotten down to rotating between my Ti, SS, and Brass Blackbirds, all in SB format. Occasionally something vintage, or my Karve CB will hop into the rotation. If I were to buy anything today that I've already tried, it would be the Lambda Ares. (I borrowed a friend's for a single shave.).

Razors I'd still like to try? The Lupo .95, Wolfman variations, maybe a Blutt, couldn't rule out an injector . . . But at this point I don't expect anything to dethrone the Blackbird, and since I have three to rotate between, that's enough variety. For now.

Thanks for being such a big group of enablers! Look what you made me do. :biggrin1:
Nick

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
From what I can remember over the past almost 4 years or 1323 shaves in:

Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (20)
Gold Dollar 208 (2)
Gold Dollar 66 (5)
Gold Dollar W59 (11)
Titan VG10-HZ (7)
Ttitan ACRO T.H.64 (10)
Titan ACRO T.H-70 (17)
Puma No. 1
George Butler "Shakespeare"
Revisor 6039
Ralf Aust custom
Steve Colling custom
T.R. Cadman "Bengall" (24)
Stiz "Utro"
Torrey
Heljestrand MK24

That's 104 straight razors, not including my shavettes or first RSO.

All were/are excellent shavers but the current winner is a slightly modified Gold Dollar 66, mainly for the feel in hand.

Last edited:
I think I am half way with some 580-590 shaves. I shave daily. During that time I have shaved with 22 razors. I have also shaved with numerous blades, but have stocked up (big) on just a few. Funnily enough the loose tucks or blades I got PIFfed are keeping me away from the main stash!

I rotate between all 22 and of course there are some that receive less attention than others. Still figuring out if I need to scale down or not. At present I am in the not-camp and need to find a way to make my rotations work. Themed months are helpful in that respect.

Congrats on the 1,000 shaves @nicked78!! Way to go!

Cheers,

Guido

Great list!!

Not sure precisely how many razors I tried, but it was over many years.

I started with a Slim in the 1960s, tried a few other Gillettes then moved on to carts. In the 1980s I went back to ‘traditional‘ wet shaving with some other TTO options, then on to straights for awhile. The quest resumed again in the late 90’s and early 2000’s with a more ’serious’ reexamination of different razor options. Overall, I guess I tried 50+/- options. But there is considerable variation around that estimate. :popc::popc:

That's some serious going.

I have been traditional shaving for about 13 years and probably not used anything like that many - certainly nothing like that amount of high-end stuff from more recent years.

So tell me...are you saving money compared to cartridges? :biggrin1:

(I just did the math. My figures sit at roughly 23 DE, 3 SE, 2 shavettes, and circa 10 straights in 13 years. All of these were purchased and in some cases restored by me, many now sold or gifted onwards).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I used cartridge razors for well over 30+ years and back in 2017 switched to DE Gillette slim and a few others and over time have used over 60 different razors that I still own and lots of other shaving products.
I mostly enjoy the SE & DE razors and tried the Shavettes in the AC 50 mm type for a short burst (1 month) and went back to my regular comfort zone of DE & SE razors. Straight or Shavette razor shaving you learn a lot about what the edge is capable of doing and it helps in my routine I use today.
As a daily shaver I believe I'm well over 2000 shaves and have learned a lot about proper shaving over the years and have tweaked my routine to perfection at least in my mind ;).
All my shaving gear and products have been paid for by not buying cartridge and gels and trimming my own hair and don't need really anything else but who knows what may fancy me when it comes to shaving.

I'll reach my 200th traditional shave this week.
I keep a spreadsheet of all my shaves and by my count I've tried 9 different razors, 16 different blades and 12 different soaps/creams. I'm really enjoying the journey. I have a few favorite combinations that I'll probably post at some point but I haven't found too many horrible shaves once my technique improved.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a few wet shaves when I was a teen... razors I borrowed from my mother. My dad was an electric razor user...

I started with Gillette cartridge razors in 1973... used them until last year (2022 for the record). I haven't counted how many AC and DE razors I've used.. but I found the OP's list interesting. I've used 6 of those razors.... that's it... and that's if I count my Wolfman WR2 0.95... as I haven't tried the 1.25 or 1.15 gaps... mine is SB, so not an exact match.

At the moment, I only have a couple I haven't tried.. here at our place, but not yet used. I still have to get two ATT razors in... the S2 and the SSRH Windsor. I still have to get to the PAA Filament.... I still have the Merkur 37C that will get used sometime, perhaps.. along with the Gillette 1953 birth year and quarter Y2 Super Speed... I think that's it.

I have settled into a bit of a groove with my current top razors: in no particular order

1. Blutt BR-1 1.20
2. Rocnel Elite
3. Lambda Athena
4. Wolfman WR2 0.95 in bronze
5. Timeless Ti 0.68OC
6. Timeless Bronze 0.38
7. ATT X1 AC Slant
8. ATT S1/S2 (S2 untried but I added it to the list)

I do have the Ateiler Durdan La Faulx AC bronze razor on order but it won't show up until the end of November, I don't think. That might be it for a while. My shaving slush fund has been depleted again with the La Faulx purchase.

I probably have around 3,500 shaves in at this point and have used close to 100 different razors. For a while I would buy razors, use them for a few months and then sell them. I used all types of razors; DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Yeah, I guess I had a problem as I repeated that cycle up to a few years back. However, it was fun.

Im down to 11 razors now and will be posting up at least 3 on the BST soon. I don’t want my wife and kids to toss them out when I go to that great barbershop in the sky.

Hi,

I began shaving with a Pre-War Tech some time in 1976. Dad gave me that razor and I still have it.

Next came a Thin Cap and Baseplate Old Type from my Grandfather when he passed away in 1979. I still have it.

At some point after that, early 1980s, Dad gave me the SuperSpeed my Mom gave him for Christmas in 1948. I still have it. I use it on Christmas Day.

Then came a find of 1950s TTO razors found in drawer sometime during the 1980s. A Blue Tip, A Flare Tip and a Red Tip. Those were passed on via the BST here about 2014.

I have my Dad's Post War Tech from when he passed away in 1995. I use it on certain special days, such as his birthday.

There was a replated Gold Thick Cap and Baseplate Old Type I bought around 2012. It didn't shave as well as the Thin version so that went away as well. I liked the look if it, but I didn't use it, so off it went.

I have this set of Open Comb razors, all user grade and nothing special. A New Improved, a New Short Comb, a New Long Comb and a 1934 Original Aristocrat. Used during Open Comb October. I think I got them about 2013. I think. These were B&B inspired acquisitions. ;)

There is a Schick Type C Repeater Injector I use as a travel razor. That replaced my original Tech in that role. Also about 2013. I think.

All the above became moot when I got my first Fasan Red Dot Double Slant in 2013. I have two, primary and backup. After that I Gave Up trying new razors.

Except, a couple years ago, I finally bought an Above The Tie S2 Open Comb Slant. And two handles, short and long. And, didn't much like it. Spoiled by Fasan, I suppose.

Stan

From what I can remember over the past almost 4 years or 1323 shaves in:

Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (20)
Gold Dollar 208 (2)
Gold Dollar 66 (5)
Gold Dollar W59 (11)
Titan VG10-HZ (7)
Ttitan ACRO T.H.64 (10)
Titan ACRO T.H-70 (17)
Puma No. 1
George Butler "Shakespeare"
Revisor 6039
Ralf Aust custom
Steve Colling custom
T.R. Cadman "Bengall" (24)
Stiz "Utro"
Torrey
Heljestrand MK24

That's 104 straight razors, not including my shavettes or first RSO.

All were/are excellent shavers but the current winner is a slightly modified Gold Dollar 66, mainly for the feel in hand.
Your SR sets are awesome. Thanks for sharing your list as well as lots of great information about maintaining an edge. That’s on my long-distance horizon. It’s a ways off but it’s out there.

I think I am half way with some 580-590 shaves. I shave daily. During that time I have shaved with 22 razors. I have also shaved with numerous blades, but have stocked up (big) on just a few. Funnily enough the loose tucks or blades I got PIFfed are keeping me away from the main stash!

I rotate between all 22 and of course there are some that receive less attention than others. Still figuring out if I need to scale down or not. At present I am in the not-camp and need to find a way to make my rotations work. Themed months are helpful in that respect.

Congrats on the 1,000 shaves @nicked78!! Way to go!

Cheers,

Guido
Thanks Guido! I always enjoy your posts. You are on the same pace as me! Like you I am also stashing blades a little. When I find a blade I like for .10 each or less, I make sure to get 100. Seems like prices go up up and away on things I prefer 😀
Have fun on the way to 1K!

Great list!!

Not sure precisely how many razors I tried, but it was over many years.

I started with a Slim in the 1960s, tried a few other Gillettes then moved on to carts. In the 1980s I went back to ‘traditional‘ wet shaving with some other TTO options, then on to straights for awhile. The quest resumed again in the late 90’s and early 2000’s with a more ’serious’ reexamination of different razor options. Overall, I guess I tried 50+/- options. But there is considerable variation around that estimate. :popc::popc:
TTO’s and adjustables haven’t struck my fancy yet… but isn’t it amazing how you can try so many things and there’s still something else out there!

That's some serious going.

I have been traditional shaving for about 13 years and probably not used anything like that many - certainly nothing like that amount of high-end stuff from more recent years.

So tell me...are you saving money compared to cartridges? :biggrin1:

(I just did the math. My figures sit at roughly 23 DE, 3 SE, 2 shavettes, and circa 10 straights in 13 years. All of these were purchased and in some cases restored by me, many now sold or gifted onwards).
Without a lot of razors loaned to me by my buddies who got me into this, the number would have been far lower! I have about 15 of the listed 40 in my possession. No savings here over carts here, but this hobby has been a lot of fun, and it was something that got me through the pandemic, among other things. Thanks for sharing your count!

Honestly 40 Razors in 1,000 is like looking for going to beach daily with Metal Detector hope to find a Rolex President Watch careless person left behind. Long shot at best.

The time & money expended we’re crazy.

Of the 40? Where any keepers?

I did shave today, no soap, just water. Results were ok.
15 of the 40 are mine. The others were just sampled, or borrowed and returned, or sold on the BST, or PIF’d. All part of the fun of B&B. This community gives its members a way to try more elements of the hobby without necessarily having an enormous collection.

I probably have around 3,500 shaves in at this point and have used close to 100 different razors. For a while I would buy razors, use them for a few months and then sell them. I used all types of razors; DEs, SEs, injectors and straight razors. Yeah, I guess I had a problem as I repeated that cycle up to a few years back. However, it was fun.

Im down to 11 razors now and will be posting up at least 3 on the BST soon. I don’t want my wife and kids to toss them out when I go to that great barbershop in the sky.
I feel I’m on the downsizing slope for sure. It’s great to have a sense for what I like and part with most of the rest. Thanks for replying.

Top Bottom