What's new

I finally ordered R41

Shave 27

Muhle r41
Feather Blade (new)
Semogue SOC Butterscotch Boar 🐗 Brush
Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic 🐻‍❄️
Stirling Island Man A/S and EDT

Good shave just slow going … haven’t used the feather for while and trying to be extra careful … not pushing too hard on difficult areas

Result is BBS 10/10

Time / frustration mark it down to 9/10

Attachments

• D995D664-E6A2-4C74-9D1C-0B767F153857.jpeg
    D995D664-E6A2-4C74-9D1C-0B767F153857.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Shave 27

Muhle r41
Feather Blade (new)

Good shave just slow going … haven’t used the feather for while and trying to be extra careful … not pushing too hard on difficult areas

Result is BBS 10/10

Attachments

• 1683383039257.jpeg
    1683383039257.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I'm sure that we all like our blades to be "perfectly straight across". ;)

Have you tried the SLOC cap on the R41? I get no blade ripples when I've used the SLOC cap on my R41.

View attachment 1648977View attachment 1648978
With all due respect, I don't think most people even check to see if their DE blade has any micro-ripples. They load up a blade and if there isn't obvious misalignment they shave.

It's not as easy as you might think to check to see if a blade has any rippling. You have to hold the razor at a certain angle to where the blade is reflecting light, and then move it very slightly back and forth in that axis to watch the blade go from dark to fully 'lit up.'

When you do this, you can see that certain razors hold the blade without any ripples at all, in which case moving the razor very slightly results in watching the blade go from dark to perfectly reflective in a very smooth motion. Not all razors do this even with the caps they were meant to use. About a week ago I took the time to check this with all my razors and about 60% of them were perfect or very nearly so (this was using the proper caps).

Personally I think at least a portion of people's experience with rough shaves may be attributable to these little micro-ripples; at the very least I think my best shaves come from those razors that hold the blade without any.

If I wwre to experiment with changing caps on my razors, I would check them very carefully with this light test before I gave them a go.

I am also new the R41. I am on my 4th shave. I have been blown away on how this razor gets a wrap for being super aggressive legend. I have ran Gillette Naset and GSB and the R41 has been smooth as silk. I am at a crossroads, my 6C /R6 has been my daily driver. I love how smooth the 6C is it but I think I am moving the R41 into its place. There is something about the balance of the R41. I think it’s length/weight ratios of the Muhle razor handle and head, it’s efficient and smooth. I have a thick, tuff greying beard and it’s hard as hell to achieving BBS without pressure. I can glide the R41 with 2 passes and a cleanup and there is not comparing how close it gets.

Shave 27

Muhle r41
Feather Blade (new)

Result is BBS 10/10

Oh yes I can relate.

Attachments

• 20220525_194827.jpg
    20220525_194827.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
I am also new the R41. I am on my 4th shave. I have been blown away on how this razor gets a wrap for being super aggressive legend. I have ran Gillette Naset and GSB and the R41 has been smooth as silk. I am at a crossroads, my 6C /R6 has been my daily driver. I love how smooth the 6C is it but I think I am moving the R41 into its place. There is something about the balance of the R41. I think it’s length/weight ratios of the Muhle razor handle and head, it’s efficient and smooth. I have a thick, tuff greying beard and it’s hard as hell to achieving BBS without pressure. I can glide the R41 with 2 passes and a cleanup and there is not comparing how close it gets.
haven’t used a R6C … tbh no adjustable.

R41 defo gets a close shave every time… I liked the GSB too - the Gillette platinum are 100% worth trying.

When first used early shaves possibly riding the safety bar … it felt like it was literally planing off skin !! Awesome shave but that was the sound and feeling.

My angles changed a little .. more cautious using cap to roll onto blade/ safety bar guessing 30degrees … this helps reduce some catches/nicks plus lightness of touch. For me I need extra focus buffing/ j turns / cross slide/ ATG.

haven’t used a R6C … tbh no adjustable.

R41 defo gets a close shave every time… I liked the GSB too - the Gillette platinum are 100% worth trying.

When first used early shaves possibly riding the safety bar … it felt like it was literally planing off skin !! Awesome shave but that was the sound and feeling.

My angles changed a little .. more cautious using cap to roll onto blade/ safety bar guessing 30degrees … this helps reduce some catches/nicks plus lightness of touch. For me I need extra focus buffing/ j turns / cross slide/ ATG.

The R6C is a good razor, I don’t look at It as an adjustable, but you have that option if you like. I purchased it due to reviews on the R6 plate.
Basically what I was reading was it was aggressive like the R41 but smoother. The 6 plate is aggressive, efficient and smooth, and it did not disappoint. I basically learned to DE wet shave correctly with that razor. Where the R41 separates in my opinion is it’s balance.

I do not like TTO razors and if you want an adjustable that the most common option without spending $100. I don’t think I need an adjustable. For my beard I rather an aggressive razor, I always have my Merkur 34G waiting on deck if I am a feeling a little sensitive 😂🤣.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
With all due respect, I don't think most people even check to see if their DE blade has any micro-ripples. They load up a blade and if there isn't obvious misalignment they shave.

It's not as easy as you might think to check to see if a blade has any rippling. You have to hold the razor at a certain angle to where the blade is reflecting light, and then move it very slightly back and forth in that axis to watch the blade go from dark to fully 'lit up.'

When you do this, you can see that certain razors hold the blade without any ripples at all, in which case moving the razor very slightly results in watching the blade go from dark to perfectly reflective in a very smooth motion. Not all razors do this even with the caps they were meant to use. About a week ago I took the time to check this with all my razors and about 60% of them were perfect or very nearly so (this was using the proper caps).

Personally I think at least a portion of people's experience with rough shaves may be attributable to these little micro-ripples; at the very least I think my best shaves come from those razors that hold the blade without any.

If I wwre to experiment with changing caps on my razors, I would check them very carefully with this light test before I gave them a go.
With all due respect, I'm not sure that I understand your comments.

My comments were in response to razorfool. Please note the ;) at the end of my comment: "I'm sure that we all like our blades to be "perfectly straight across". ;)"

My process is to put the blade in the razor, see if things appear to line up and then proceed with the shave. :)

I think it may ripple the blade edges by pressing against the teeth. I prefer my blades to be perfectly straight across. So I passed on this idea. I think the same thing happened putting an R89 cap on one of my R41s and it did the same thing. I have the 2011 anyway, so why bother? I've had mostly bad experiences with the 2011 and don't really recommend it for the everyday shaver.

I'm sure that we all like our blades to be "perfectly straight across". ;)

Have you tried the SLOC cap on the R41? I get no blade ripples when I've used the SLOC cap on my R41.

View attachment 1648977View attachment 1648978

I'll give it a retry soon. I have super-critical eyes is my problem, being an ex QA Inspector. I have both models of R41, 2011 and 2013. I'll try both models. My SLOC is from Razorock, so that may have and effect also due to mfg differences and tolerances.

I tried your suggestion on one of my 2013 R41s, with my faux Tortoise handle. Great shave, only microscopic waviness of the blade edge, for intents and purposes no ripples. I think the 2011 model is where I saw obvious waviness. As for the shave results today here goes. Med prep blade second use, VDH and Duke Cannon soaps combined, had to shave with a shallower angle of attack, maybe due to the enhanced blade exposure. Result was BBS or very close, with only a tingle from the alum block, even in the neck area. No nicks or weepers either, I am impressed. As I usually get a weeper or two with the normal configuration. I'll try again tomorrow to see if this combo could be a daily shaver or not. My guess is, it will not be, but maybe I'm wrong. Who knows, thanks to you, this might be one of my GoTo razors!

Last edited:
With all due respect, what are you talking about?

My comments were in response to razorfool. Please note the ;) at the end of my comment: "I'm sure that we all like our blades to be "perfectly straight across". ;)"
Which part was confusing? I agree that it is better that blades are 'perfectly straight' but I was simply pointing out that not all razors hold blades perfectly straight even when using the proper topcap. That's all. I suspect the risk of 'not perfectly straight' blade edges likely goes up when you use top caps from different razors, although I don't know that for sure.

My understanding was that the other forum member had tried a different topcap and noticed that it led to a waviness in the blade edge. That's what led to my comment. If I was mistaken, I apologize.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Which part was confusing? I agree that it is better that blades are 'perfectly straight' but I was simply pointing out that not all razors hold blades perfectly straight even when using the proper topcap. That's all. I suspect the risk of 'not perfectly straight' blade edges likely goes up when you use top caps from different razors, although I don't know that for sure.

My understanding was that the other forum member had tried a different topcap and noticed that it led to a waviness in the blade edge. That's what led to my comment. If I was mistaken, I apologize.
He had not tried the SLOC cap on the R41 at that time, but merely assumed that the SLOC cap would cause ripples. When he actually tried the combination, he loved it.

I quoted the entire conversation in my previous response to you.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shave 26

3 passes plus extra neck pass and touch up

Extra time and still not BBS so 7.5/10
Not a great shave

Muhle R41
Personna Platinum (new blade)
Jade Omega Boar brush
Stirling Executive Man Soap
Osma Alum Block
Stirling Sunshire Aftershave

Grabbed a personna blade not doing it for me this morning.
Had to keep going over areas .. it felt like like pulling from the off …

It’s left soreness on neck … so I did quick check Alum to see if anything stinging but not so … weird shave not the best

I’m prob not going to revisit persona for a while … not sure why they so popular.
It’s quite possible you have a different Personna than the one people here rave about. Why am I wondering? I bought 100 of them and they were so horrible, I threw them all away.

It turns out, the USA Personna Comfort Coated blades are the ones often recommended. I tried them…..what a world of difference. Smooth, comfortable yet close for me.

Shave 28

Muhle r41
Feather Blade (2nd use)
Omega Jade Boar 🐗 Brush
Moonsoap Amaretto Soap
Osma Alum Block
Stirling Bay Rum A/S

Sunday Evening Shower n Shave - working in Garden today
Day n half growth - wow what a shave - ok 3 passes and additional neck pass … but jeez awesome shave.

Brush and Soap performing

The Bay Rum A/S still making itself known😆 (I’ve grown to like this stuff)

Result is BBS 10/10
1683483648890.jpeg

Shave 29

Muhle R41
Feather / 3rd use
Semogue Soc boar
Moon soap Sorrento
Osma Alum
Stirling deep blue sea A/S

Tried to get into the ethos of May grume-
Rolled out an old moonsoap Sorrento ., it’s not a great performer and my brush hated it too. I mainly stopped using ages back as wanted matching A/S but could only get the after shave cream stuff … didn’t get on with the cream.

Tonight used Semogue SOC boar 🐗 brush … so it even felt different after rinsing it out.

Anyway 3 1/2 pass shave with feather (3rd use)

Used Osma Alum block to see if caused damage but no.

A little Stirling Deep Blue Sea A/S

BBS - but only an 8/10 as soap was awful 😞

Shave 30

Muhle R41
Gillette Platinum Blade (new)
Bulldog Bamboo Synthetic
Stirling Triumph Soap
Osma Alum
Stirling Triumph A/S

So a good shave this Morning - late posting - working away.

3 pass and touch up neck - BBS as expected - that razor is awesome bit of kit. Both feather and Gillette platinums shave well for me .. I’m looking forwards to re-experiencing GSB and Nacet blades a few more times…. There’s still more to come from them.

Though a small nick it’s poss lapse of mine - or I already had it
It’s a great blade for me though

Though I’ve run the Alum block over it was more curiosity and tbh no real sting. The brush isn’t in a league of Boar brushes

Obviously the soaps and A/S are great for me.

I can give 8.75/10 for the shave today

I continue to use the R41

It’s great razor and dialled in the xtg atg 2
Pass plus touch up shave

The shave is very close and I’m happy to use the feather though think the Gillette platinums are touch smoother / forgiving.

I shaved yesterday about 9.30am with the Gillette platinum … it’s 3,30am now and about to head out to work - I don’t need a shave - amazing.

If anyone still reading this … I re-attempted the Nacets again … brand new blade - it feels like the Gillette Platinum after 4/5th use …. Don’t know how these are popular - having to apply pressure with R41 is crazy.

If anyone still reading this … I re-attempted the Nacets again … brand new blade - it feels like the Gillette Platinum after 4/5th use …. Don’t know how these are popular - having to apply pressure with R41 is crazy.
GP and BICs are the only ones I keep returning to and stocking them up. There's no other like those for me. BICs are number one.

Top Bottom