What's new

40 Razors in 1,000 shaves: How many X did you try in Y amount of time?

Fun thread, thanks for posting. In the recent past, I've been using a different brand of blade with each shave, so in 2023 ( I started this blade journey on Jan. 1, 2023) I have used 170 different blades.
That is awesome! What’s your take so far: has it felt like 170 different shaves, or have they been more similar than different?

Hi,

I began shaving with a Pre-War Tech some time in 1976. Dad gave me that razor and I still have it.

Next came a Thin Cap and Baseplate Old Type from my Grandfather when he passed away in 1979. I still have it.

At some point after that, early 1980s, Dad gave me the SuperSpeed my Mom gave him for Christmas in 1948. I still have it. I use it on Christmas Day.

Then came a find of 1950s TTO razors found in drawer sometime during the 1980s. A Blue Tip, A Flare Tip and a Red Tip. Those were passed on via the BST here about 2014.

I have my Dad's Post War Tech from when he passed away in 1995. I use it on certain special days, such as his birthday.

There was a replated Gold Thick Cap and Baseplate Old Type I bought around 2012. It didn't shave as well as the Thin version so that went away as well. I liked the look if it, but I didn't use it, so off it went.

I have this set of Open Comb razors, all user grade and nothing special. A New Improved, a New Short Comb, a New Long Comb and a 1934 Original Aristocrat. Used during Open Comb October. I think I got them about 2013. I think. These were B&B inspired acquisitions. ;)

There is a Schick Type C Repeater Injector I use as a travel razor. That replaced my original Tech in that role. Also about 2013. I think.

All the above became moot when I got my first Fasan Red Dot Double Slant in 2013. I have two, primary and backup. After that I Gave Up trying new razors.

Except, a couple years ago, I finally bought an Above The Tie S2 Open Comb Slant. And two handles, short and long. And, didn't much like it. Spoiled by Fasan, I suppose.

Stan
The slant on those Fasan’s looks crazy. I appreciate all the family history connected to your collection. Thanks for sharing. Some thirty years ago, I asked if my grandfather left any shaving gear behind when he passed away, but nothing materialized. If I had only known how far I’d go down this hobby many years later!

15 of the 40 are mine. The others were just sampled, or borrowed and returned, or sold on the BST, or PIF’d. All part of the fun of B&B. This community gives its members a way to try more elements of the hobby without necessarily having an enormous collection.
Even 15 is heavy, too much to store, and use considering you only use 2 time a month. 2-3 three might be ideal in my
world but to each his own. Some member posited the has maybe 10 years supply of Soap for lathering, think they gout of control.

Shaving is more of necessity than hobby in my life, even when I had heard I shave my neck every other day. If I was younger I would ride my bike, or fly fish daily for pleasure. 'but everyone is different, like I said I shave to remove beard daily it itches.

I have 5 with hopes for an Athena.
Rockwell T2
Ikon X3 slant (yuck)
Leaf Twig (great starting razor)
Blackland Blackbird Ti SB
Lambda Ares V2

I have 5 with hopes for an Athena.
Rockwell T2
Ikon X3 slant (yuck)
Leaf Twig (great starting razor)
Blackland Blackbird Ti SB
Lambda Ares V2
Some great choices there! The Ti BB and Ares will be nearly impossible to beat at almost any price.

Great thread.
I shave daily and have for a few years. To the original question here, I'd be very curious to know how many combinations are used with my kit. I've never kept track of shaves. But I may start keeping track of a year with no two days with the same gear just for fun.

Top Bottom