What's new

I finally ordered R41

Shave 18

Muhle R41
Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless / Green (new blade)
Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar brush
Stirling Triumph soap
Nivea Sensitive Cool

Hoping my delivery arrives today with some more Aftershave … have the matching Triumph due hence the Nivea instead.

So got what expected from shave really - BBS shave

I figured it would need 3 pass shave plus neck pass again … so did regular shave N/S … XTG ATG with extra pass neck area.
Getting a touch quicker with the razor and enjoying the new brush

No real negative other than not doing it in two passes - it’s very smooth BBS shave

I think you tried the Wilkinson only blade and not the Gillette Wilkinson blade.
You’re Spot on Curkio - didn’t realise there was that variant… seemed odd being called what would have been two brands to me.

Are these particular favourites for you? … are they likely to compete with Gillette Platinum?

Cheers

Shave 19

Muhle R41
Gillette 7 O’clock Super Stainless / Green (2nd use)
Semogue Butterscotch SOC Boar brush
Stirling Dunshire soap
Astringent Witch Hazel / alcohol (this cheap chemist product leaves face dry)

Hoping my delivery arrives today with some more Aftershaves … have the matching Dunshire A/S due…

So got BBS shave though I don’t feel the 7 greens are that sharp…. They feel snaggy - not capable of 2 pass plus touch up if want BBS and difficult neck area done.

Shave similar to yesterday - need 3 pass shave plus neck pass again … so did regular shave N/S … XTG ATG with extra pass neck area. (I’m doin J buff / cross direction too)

No real negative other than blade not doing it in two passes - it’s smooth 98% BBS shave. The R41 gives a killer shave with the right blades.

New blade tomorrow - see what comes !

Last edited:
And a little later today … delivery arrives:

Cold sluice / rinse off that poor witch hazel excuse letting down my shave.

and on with the Dunshire A/s … as hoped :

Attachments

• 737A53AF-89F6-4EA0-BC9E-EA30BDCFAD0F.jpeg
    737A53AF-89F6-4EA0-BC9E-EA30BDCFAD0F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I think you tried the Wilkinson only blade and not the Gillette Wilkinson blade.
Yeah I doubled up with this error … didn’t realise and hadn’t seen those particular blades.
If I see them I’ll chip them in to try cheers 🍻

Shave 20 -

First use Connaught Omega Jade Boar 🐗Brush

Muhle R41
Derby Premium blade (virgin use)
Connaught Omega Jade Boar brush (virgin use)
Stirling Executive Man soap
Stirling Deep Blue Sea Aftershave

Shave 6.75/10 don’t think qualifies as DFS … still have slight stubble difficult areas neck.
This shave was a little frustrating with the blade not being upto the job … it’s just not sharp enough! It’s snagging and catching not cutting difficult areas.

All in the shave standard/experience not special with the blade. Got couple nicks too - even though lightest touch everything, touch sore on neck.

FYI soaked brush tips over night - then give it two runs of exec man soap on hands washed out and then shook out then up and down arm, then towel for few moments to help dry/make any difference to first shave.

I showered to get brush cleaner with another 2 washes, still smelled. shower gel wash my head as a final soap clean to the brush before first shave.

Brush performed well though still has animal smell present.

No worries. In my opinion they are sharper than platinums. Whenever I buy a new razor I reach for these. I find they have a good balance of smoothness yet still sharp. I hope they work out well for you too.

You’re Spot on Curkio - didn’t realise there was that variant… seemed odd being called what would have been two brands to me.

Are these particular favourites for you? … are they likely to compete with Gillette Platinum?

Cheers

Cheers

Shave 21

Muhle R41
Gillette platinum
Semogue SOC Boar brush
Stirling Triumph soap
Stirling Triumph Aftershave

Shave 9/10 (98% BBS)

Was going out and didn’t want chance cutting my self or rubbish shave from Derby Premium… so switched out for the Gillette Platinum.

Obviously a very good shave - 3 passes and didn’t bother touch ups.

Shave 22
Muhle R41
Derby Premium blade (2nd use)
Connaught Omega Jade Boar brush
Moonsoaps Amaretto soap
Stirling Deep Blue Sea Aftershave

So back on track to conclude the blades trialling - Shave 7/10 … still have slight stubble difficult areas
Maybe I’m being harsh, it’s an ok passable shave but that’s it.
No nicks or blood 🩸

This blade it’s just not sharp and doesn’t seem to get close enough.
It’s a comfortable sort of shave but it’s not a stellar shave… I’ll be getting stubble coming up a lot sooner that many other blades.

Shave 23

Muhle R41
Gillette platinum (2nd use)
Semogue SOC Boar brush
Stirling Island 🏝️ Man soap
Stirling Island Man Aftershave
Stirling Island Man EDT

Shave 9/10 (98% BBS)

3 passes - great shave

Attachments

• 317666B0-F0C0-49BF-B806-989475BDBC4D.jpeg
    317666B0-F0C0-49BF-B806-989475BDBC4D.jpeg
    753.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Shave 24

What a shave … awesome

3 passes smooth as BBS 10/10

Muhle R41
Gillette platinum (3rd use)
Semogue SOC Boar brush
Stirling Bay Rum 🍹 soap
Stirling Bay Rum 🍹 Aftershave

The aftershave sure let’s you know it’s on your face 😁

1683103729066.png

Shave 25

3 passes plus touch up smooth as BBS
Extra time so 9/10
Still a great shave

Muhle R41
Gillette platinum (4th use)
Semogue SOC Boar brush
IHA Styptic match
Stirling Bay Rum 🍹 soap
Stirling Bay Rum 🍹 Aftershave

Give the Stirling Bay Rum 2nd day in bounce … like way makes skin feel

Ok so found the Gillette platinum is starting to lose performance and bounce / tug slightly … that’s a 4th shave and know it will do another but higher chance of nicks.

The shave was still good and smooth though did pickup odd little nicks today.

Different blade tomorrow

Attachments

• 1B22E797-1676-4544-8D45-8CABB3D60B32.jpeg
    1B22E797-1676-4544-8D45-8CABB3D60B32.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
My suggestion, after you have a few R41 shaves under your belt, is to get a RazoRock SLOC cap to use with the R41 base and Rosegold handle.
View attachment 1633358
Smooths out some of the rough edges. Provides better blade support. :)
I think it may ripple the blade edges by pressing against the teeth. I prefer my blades to be perfectly straight across. So I passed on this idea. I think the same thing happened putting an R89 cap on one of my R41s and it did the same thing. I have the 2011 anyway, so why bother? I've had mostly bad experiences with the 2011 and don't really recommend it for the everyday shaver.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I think it may ripple the blade edges by pressing against the teeth. I prefer my blades to be perfectly straight across. So I passed on this idea. I think the same thing happened putting an R89 cap on one of my R41s and it did the same thing. I have the 2011 anyway, so why bother? I've had mostly bad experiences with the 2011 and don't really recommend it for the everyday shaver.

I'm sure that we all like our blades to be "perfectly straight across". ;)

Have you tried the SLOC cap on the R41? I get no blade ripples when I've used the SLOC cap on my R41.

20230213_171104~2.jpg
20230213_171234~3.jpg

Shave 26

3 passes plus extra neck pass and touch up

Extra time and still not BBS so 7.5/10
Not a great shave

Muhle R41
Personna Platinum (new blade)
Jade Omega Boar brush
Stirling Executive Man Soap
Osma Alum Block
Stirling Sunshire Aftershave

Grabbed a personna blade not doing it for me this morning.
Had to keep going over areas .. it felt like like pulling from the off …

It’s left soreness on neck … so I did quick check Alum to see if anything stinging but not so … weird shave not the best

I’m prob not going to revisit persona for a while … not sure why they so popular.

Shave 26

3 passes plus extra neck pass and touch up

Extra time and still not BBS so 7.5/10
Not a great shave

Muhle R41
Personna Platinum (new blade)
Jade Omega Boar brush
Stirling Executive Man Soap
Osma Alum Block
Stirling Sunshire Aftershave

Grabbed a personna blade not doing it for me this morning.
Had to keep going over areas .. it felt like like pulling from the off …

It’s left soreness on neck … so I did quick check Alum to see if anything stinging but not so … weird shave not the best

I’m prob not going to revisit persona for a while … not sure why they so popular.
Just checked against prior use of personna platinum and it seems I had the same difficulty with blade getting nowhere on difficult areas and needed two extra passes under neck … so consistent result. Not gonna be going out of my to use them for sure.

Have you tried the SLOC cap on the R41? I get no blade ripples when I've used the SLOC cap on my R41.

View attachment 1648977View attachment 1648978
I'll give it a retry soon. I have super-critical eyes is my problem, being an ex QA Inspector. I have both models of R41, 2011 and 2013. I'll try both models. My SLOC is from Razorock, so that may have and effect also due to mfg differences and tolerances.

View attachment 1648977View attachment 1648978
I tried your suggestion on one of my 2013 R41s, with my faux Tortoise handle. Great shave, only microscopic waviness of the blade edge, for intents and purposes no ripples. I think the 2011 model is where I saw obvious waviness. As for the shave results today here goes. Med prep blade second use, VDH and Duke Cannon soaps combined, had to shave with a shallower angle of attack, maybe due to the enhanced blade exposure. Result was BBS or very close, with only a tingle from the alum block, even in the neck area. No nicks or weepers either, I am impressed. As I usually get a weeper or two with the normal configuration. I'll try again tomorrow to see if this combo could be a daily shaver or not. My guess is, it will not be, but maybe I'm wrong. Who knows, thanks to you, this might be one of my GoTo razors!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I tried your suggestion on one of my 2013 R41s, with my faux Tortoise handle. Great shave, only microscopic waviness of the blade edge, for intents and purposes no ripples. I think the 2011 model is where I saw obvious waviness. As for the shave results today here goes. Med prep blade second use, VDH and Duke Cannon soaps combined, had to shave with a shallower angle of attack, maybe due to the enhanced blade exposure. Result was BBS or very close, with only a tingle from the alum block, even in the neck area. No nicks or weepers either, I am impressed. As I usually get a weeper or two with the normal configuration. I'll try again tomorrow to see if this combo could be a daily shaver or not. My guess is, it will not be, but maybe I'm wrong. Who knows, thanks to you, this might be one of my GoTo razors!

Thank you very much for giving the R41/SLOC a try. :)

I look forward to your ongoing shaving impressions of the R41/SLOC. :)

Top Bottom