What's new

I finally ordered R41

The R41 is the razor everyone will try sooner or later because of its reputation :)
For me, German Wilkinson. Avoid Feathers and BICs at first, but try everything else. 7oc yellows are nice iirc.
Compared to the slant, it is a big step up in bladefeel, efficiency and aggression, and a step down in comfort.

The R41 is the razor everyone will try sooner or later because of its reputation :)

I think the R41 is an over-rated razor, given that same reputation.

No offense intended, it's a nice razor, with a distinctive feel and look, but it's neither the most aggressive DE razor I know, nor is it the most interesting aggressive razor I know. Evidently YMMW.

Speaking of DE blades though (seemingly the main focus here), one razor brings out particular blade characteristics better than any other I know. I am thinking of the Fatip OCs. If you want to explore and compare performance of different DE blades, experience and understand the distinctiveness of different blades, I am not aware of a better tool than the Fatip OCs. I am not sure what makes the Fatips perform this way -- I can speculate that it has to do with the particular way the blades are loaded, tensioned, perhaps. What I do know, is that I am not the first or only DE enthusiast to point this feature out for the Fatip OCs.

What is more, Fatips are quite inexpensive, perhaps half the cost of an R41.
Some people complain about an alleged lack of craftsmanship going into the Fatips, others complain about alleged poor blade alignment. If you enjoy a "pretty" razor on such accounts, or if you are simply getting more enjoyment out of paying more money for a new razor, the R41 may be a better choice for you. I personally dont really care much what my razor looks like. I am talking about a tool. And since this discussion seem to primarily concern the qualities of different DE blades when loaded in an aggressive razor, I think the Fatip OCs deserve a mention. Go exploring for yourself, and make the most of it.
Oh, and yes, the Fatip OCs are indeed aggressive razors. Some would say as aggressive as the R41. I personally don't think it makes sense to hold them up against each other in terms which is "more" aggressive. They are both plenty aggressive, depending how you use them, but they are above all different. Get one, its worth trying out.

Last edited:
The Astra SP and a neutral angle works for me. I have used the 41 a week straight during October but I only did 1 pass and a little touch up. Any more than that gave me irritation.

Interesting comments on the Fatip open combs...

I have the Fatip open comb slant (FOCS) and I would definitely not classify it as "aggressive." For me the R41 has more "blade feel" and is more efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My suggestion, after you have a few R41 shaves under your belt, is to get a RazoRock SLOC cap to use with the R41 base and Rosegold handle.
20230213_171110~3.jpg

Smooths out some of the rough edges. Provides better blade support. :)

Ta for the input fellas … I’ve chipped in quite a few blades …

20 Personna platinum chrome
50 Nacet
20 Gillette Silver blue
20 Gillette Platinum
20 German Wilkinson sword
50 7 o’clock yellow (already get on with in merkur slant)
20 Derby Premium black
20 Rapira platinum lux

Should keep us going for a while … still got plenty feathers, 7 o’clock green n yellows at 🏠

Fellas

Finally ordered the R41 rose gold… I oddly seem to enjoy shaving everyday … been using 39c for year n half or so daily … got bored and was tempted with Futur but stuff it… have ordered the muhle ….

FYI …. If anyone interested Gillette yellow are the nuts for the merkur 39c slant …

So R41 on way … have plenty Feathers, Gillette Yellow and Green blades kicking around … what’s the other best blades most happy with that in R41?

In advance anticipation … cheers 🍻

👍
I've had an R41 for 10 years and find the following blades pair well...Treet Durasharp, Gillette Silver Blues, Vintage Schick Plus Platinum/Super Chromium. I was certainly tempted to try a Feather right away. Let's just say the early results weren't pretty. I suggest getting used to it before dropping the Feather in.

Yeah I kinda figured the feather will be interesting 🤨… prob break in with 7 o’clock yellows …. Intrigued to see how that will fair in different razor

… well it’s arrived at home apparently.

I’ll christen when back from work … prob with Yellow 7 but really want to use the 🪶 Feather 🪶

Really looking forward to all the blades ordered … Extra bonus getting to try them in both razors

Cheers for your input guys

I use R41 and Merkur slant most of the times I shave. If I shave two-days growth or more I tend to prefer R41. I find the first pass working very well with Astra green, but the 2nd pass is better with Tiger. I don't bother though to change blades I use either astra or tiger all the way thtough. I don't have that many razors but from what I have seen R41 matches very well my face and I tend to have for 2 days growth less irritation compared to other DE shavers. Definitely I am very happy I got one.

Feather for the inaugural shave fellas … couldn’t whimp out -
Angle different to 39c as expected
And I decided to just give 5 passes and touch up, wanted to get acquainted :austin1::austin1:
Never had a razor suck to my face before

Anyway - obviously a wicked BBS
Sharing in the honours -
Yaqi Sagrada Familia Brush
Stirling Island Man Shaving Soap, Aftershave and EDT - … bathed in it virtually😋

1680979393927.png

Try it with the Gillette 7 Yellow (SharpEdge) next :D as I do not hear much about these blades and they are becoming my favorite. Curious on your thoughts and BTW, the rose handle looks very nice (like copper).

Try it with the Gillette 7 Yellow (SharpEdge) next :D as I do not hear much about these blades and they are becoming my favorite. Curious on your thoughts and BTW, the rose handle looks very nice (like copper).
Cheers and I will let you about the 7 yellow they’ve been my main blade for ages ( still be over enthusiastic with the feather 🪶)

Top Bottom